Username: Password:
  • Page:

TOPIC: 93 ford ranger

93 ford ranger 28 Nov 2019 09:30 #1

• Joe Edwards
  • Adventurer
  • Adventurer
  • Thank you received: 3
Hi all..i as well have had the groove done on my 2.3 93 ford ranger. I purchased another throttle body from a local pullapart here in N.C. so i had taken my original off and had the groove done and in notime..it had ARRIVEDDD...WOOOOO....i taken the junkyard one off and installed it...i havent seen a diffrence...is thr something i have missed doing with the install? Yours truly, A Huge Fan.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ron Hatton, Johnathan, Michael Lee

Please Log in to join the conversation.

93 ford ranger 28 Nov 2019 12:22 #2

• Ron Hatton
  • Founder
  • Founder
  • Gadgetman
  • Thank you received: 490
Hello, Joe and Happy Thanksgiving!

While unfortunate, all things age. In aging, they experience decay. With what The Groove does, it almost always winds up being related to lost integrity of the intake system.

The very first thing to do is to read the instructions thoroughly to ensure you have done all you can, as well as you can. Most usually, we find leaks (especially in older vehicles) in the hoses and the various plastic pieces attached to dynamic vacuum.

The best (safest) method for seeking out external leaks where excess air is being drawn into the intake is by using an UNLIT propane torch, aiming it at the areas wherever such fittings may be found. Gaskets also should be given a close examination (did you check your throttle body gasket?).

Currently, I have tendered the entire Groove operation over to my star pupil, Michael Lee. You should reach out to him to assist with the diagnostics at a time when you can get under the hood.

Should that not yield results, then I want you to remember that I am always available for diagnostics.

Always.

But by contacting him first, you allow him to not only prove HIS worth, but also to hone his skills. I am trying to reduce my work load, looking at retiring when Life allows. But I will KEEP ON WORKING!!!

After all, when you stop giving back to this world, it tends to take you from it!

Please do what checks you can. Also, use YouTube as a resource for finding vacuum leaks. Learn the basics through tutorials, then focus in on your class of ride so that you educate YOURSELF.

In so doing, you will set yourself up to be tremendously more successful than your colleagues.

Be very well!

Thanks for coming in today. Nice to find another brother!
Ron Hatton
Developer of The Gadgetman Groove
and Snake Oil-https://SnakeOil.wtf/?wpam_id=1
The following user(s) said Thank You: Johnathan, Michael Lee, CLAUDIO CORDOVA

93 ford ranger 28 Nov 2019 14:14 #3

• Tracy Gallaway
  • Founder
  • Founder
  • Thank you received: 564
Hi Joe, Tracy Gallaway here. I ask, did you notice ANY changes in the way the truck runs? Increase in power, or did the exhaust smell clean up?

For sure contact Michael Lee! I completely agree and second all Ron just told you. It's nearly certain, unless extensive preventative maintenance is done, that your Ford has vacuum leaks from aging. Along with other deteriorating things...

Remember, that the Groove causes a spike in manifold vacuum during the first 90 degrees of crank rotation after TDC on intake stroke. In turn, existing vacuum leaks are intensified as well!:angry:

IF you find vacuum leaks, fix 'em, and do any other needed maintenance.

the Groove IS the Frosting--but the Cake must first be baked right!!:cheer:

Tracy G
Tracy Gallaway
Founder and Constant Aide to Gadgetman
Gadgetman Reno, NV
The following user(s) said Thank You: Johnathan, Michael Lee, CLAUDIO CORDOVA

93 ford ranger 30 Nov 2019 16:31 #4

• GregK
  • Friends of Gadgetman
  • Friends of Gadgetman
  • Thank you received: 652
And to add my few cents of input here, as I owned 2 3.0L Rangers in my years, a '91 and an '01 Mazda that was a 5speed -

If you're looking for mileage gains, and you're SURE you don't have vacuum leaks, this should be your 2nd step in diagnosis: check if the throttle cable has stretched over the years. There are good YouTube videos on that. basically, pull the input snorkel/tube off the TB, and have someone sit in the driver's seat with the engine off. Have them floor the gas pedal -if the throttle plate doesn't snap to wide open, that cable has stretched. you can tighten it up rather than replacing it - those videos will show you how. Be warned: you'll have to re-train your right foot to be able to drive at the speed limit ;) This is important, because the plate angle is reported to the computer by the TPS, and the MAF and TPS together help the computer determine how much fuel the injectors let in to the cylinders.

You'll also need a helper to check your EGR system. (The valve carbons up and gets stuck, causing a fairly significant (and factory-designed and -implemented) vacuum leak. The exhaust source is pre-catalytic, so if there is junk left over after ignition, it has a high possibility of hitting the EGR valve.) If it's stuck closed and you're not leaking manifold vacuum there, there are ways to defeat the valve from opening without triggering an engine code. (Same thing for the IAC valve...those get gummed up too) The tailpipe test involves you holding a piece of paper to the tailpipe while the engine is running - it should flap with every pulse of a cylinder firing. Have your helper rev the engine once, and if it the paper almost gets sucked back up the tailpipe as the engine returns to idle, either your EGR is leaking or you have sticky valves. (one good thing if you discover this: your exhaust system has no leaks between the tailpipe and the manifold/headers)

you didn't mention if you capped the PCV system or re-routed those vapours when you installed the grooved TB. can you clear this up for us please? Also, more information about any other mods/repairs to this vehicle would help too: when was the last tune-up? have you ever cleaned the MAF sensor? Is the ECT sensor/Coolant Temperature Vacuum Control Switch working? How's the thermostat/cooling system in general? Did you follow the re-learn procedure in the Manual after installing the grooved TB?

look for a user on here named kman - I believe he went through a bunch of trials and tribulations with his 2.3 Ranger after grooving...maybe you'll find some good tidbits in our archives
Greg Kusiak
Most Active Member
Audiophile
The following user(s) said Thank You: Tracy Gallaway, Johnathan, Michael Lee

Last edit: by GregK. Reason: further thoughts
  • Page: