TOPIC: 2018 GMC Sierra 1500 6.2L V8 - Starting from scratch

2018 GMC Sierra 1500 6.2L V8 - Starting from scratch 15 May 2019 18:51 #13

• GregK
  • Explorer
  • Explorer
  • Thank you received: 333
George is about the straightest of shooters that you’ll ever find. His water injection and capacitive charging books are next up on my shopping list.

Wow, you really went on a shopping spree.

Grooving - remember to breathe, don’t rush, and keep the bit cool and lubed. Focus on getting the angle right, move the bit in for the cut, make the cut, move the bit away, breathe and repeat. It’s all there In the manual. Except for this: and TracyG was a huge help here, but having a solid, adjustable platform/jig/apparatus to hold the TB SOLIDLY when making the cut was key. I’ve got the Panavice, and I would’ve mangled the TB without this. Also, the flex shaft attachment for my dremel really made the bit an extension of my hand.

I actually grooved my dad’s mower (I live in an apartment) before I did my Buick. Maybe you can find a small engine or a broken TB to practice on before sinking your bit into your shiny new TB.

Keep us posted!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Andrew Leyva

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

2018 GMC Sierra 1500 6.2L V8 - Starting from scratch 16 May 2019 08:02 #14

• GregK
  • Explorer
  • Explorer
Another thing, because according to Rock Auto your Truck has one, and because your ignition improvements will probably cause overfuelling unless/until you get your EFIEs on/tuned:

MAP enhancer (I'm not sure if you saw that already, but it's worth a read)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Andrew Leyva

2018 GMC Sierra 1500 6.2L V8 - Starting from scratch 16 May 2019 11:36 #15

• CLAUDIO CORDOVA
  • Adventurer
  • Adventurer
  • Thank you received: 92
Hey Andrew! looks like your going all in and I hope the ignition mods help the mpg. About the TB, I would check the local wrecking yard or online for a used one to practice on. These are usually sold at a decent price and excellent to cut and fill jb quick if you mess up. I totally agree with GregK about the breathing and keeping the bit cool and lubed.. By the time I did the aftermarket TB, I re did each one my vehicles 2 times and did 4 more tb on different makes and models. I also recommend rereading the manual a couple times before and during cutting the groove. I wish much luck and I think you will be just fine. Like Ron said," If you mess up,fill it with jb quick and do it again". Its will be easier to cut the jb quick too. We will all make sure you don't fail! Let us know when you do it and take video or pictures please!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Michael Lee, Andrew Leyva

2018 GMC Sierra 1500 6.2L V8 - Starting from scratch 16 May 2019 14:14 #16

• Andrew Leyva
  • Adventurer
  • Adventurer
  • Thank you received: 50
Good advice. Thanks!

I've seen the YouTubes of Ron Grooving a GM TB, I believe it was. He was definitely methodical. His cuts were vertical with respect to the TB - dip in and dip out. I'll do my best to emulate! I'll try to breathe like a sniper sighting in! :cheer:

I still have the original TB I took off the Mitsubishi when I got the grooved one. Never got around to sending the ungrooved one for the $50 rebate. LOL! It was providential! I'll practice on that one first!

I'll keep you posted and document as best I can.... Waiting on the EFIE's to arrive. I'm expecting them today!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Michael Lee, CLAUDIO CORDOVA

2018 GMC Sierra 1500 6.2L V8 - Starting from scratch 16 May 2019 23:50 #17

• Andrew Leyva
  • Adventurer
  • Adventurer
Looks like there are a few options on eBay regarding the MAP Enhancers. The article suggests both Enhancers and EFIE's.

2018 GMC Sierra 1500 6.2L V8 - Starting from scratch 17 May 2019 00:06 #18

• Andrew Leyva
  • Adventurer
  • Adventurer
For anyone interested, here is the schematic location for the PCV:

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

2018 GMC Sierra 1500 6.2L V8 - Starting from scratch 17 May 2019 11:02 #19

• GregK
  • Explorer
  • Explorer
That is correct: with the ability to influence the computer at the intake side, as well as correct the manufacturer's misconceptions on the output side, you can definitely influence fuel delivery and thus engine efficiency.
The groove causes good things to happen in the intake, but that might confuzzle some computers, so they react incorrectly when checking themselves at the exhaust. for less than $50 we can step around that pile of doodoo.:

all I did was buy an extender harness to splice a 10kOhm 10-turn potentiometer in to. that was providential, because the extra length allowed me to re-locate my sensor to the port the PCV was in, which has proven to have a lower vacuum than the factory location.
See here: pertinent part of Wendy Megathread
the factory bracket that secured the MAP sensor to the manifold became the "mounting point" for the MAP enhancer potentiometer...like they knew some of us would do this...
The following user(s) said Thank You: Michael Lee, Andrew Leyva

2018 GMC Sierra 1500 6.2L V8 - Starting from scratch 17 May 2019 12:57 #20

• CLAUDIO CORDOVA
  • Adventurer
  • Adventurer
How did the new wires and plugs work out?

2018 GMC Sierra 1500 6.2L V8 - Starting from scratch 17 May 2019 14:25 #21

• Michael Lee
  • Business Coach
  • Business Coach
  • I'm a believer & leader through Jesus Christ, Husband & Father
  • Thank you received: 162
Thankyou for ALL the info. Has been great to read along your progress too. Just remember when cutting "I GOT THIS!" You'll do just fine.
Michael Lee
Gadgetman Foreston, MN
The following user(s) said Thank You: CLAUDIO CORDOVA, Andrew Leyva

2018 GMC Sierra 1500 6.2L V8 - Starting from scratch 18 May 2019 03:16 #22

• Andrew Leyva
  • Adventurer
  • Adventurer
I guess some delay with the EFIE - Canadian post! Haven’t received them yet; tracking shows they’re supposed to arrive today.

Had to run some errands, so have been unable to install the plugs and wires. Rats! The good news is the coil packs arrived. I’ll install the whole shebang all at once!

Guess what! The computer is up to some shenanigans!! Originally, when I installed the new Mass Air Flow sensor, the computers instant average was showing 17.9 mpg. As I drove, that number kept going down. By the next fill up, as I reported, the result was 14.8 mpg for that tankful. I’ve driven less than 100 miles since that fill up. The best instant average I’ve seen is 13.0 mpg!! Looks like I pissed the powers that be off!! . So, I’m really anxious to get the EFIE and MAP sensor enhancer installed.

Sadly, I’m out of town now and probably won’t get to anything until after next week. I’ll keep y’all posted! Thanks again for all the input. It surly is helpful and useful!

2018 GMC Sierra 1500 6.2L V8 - Starting from scratch 18 May 2019 12:42 #23

• GregK
  • Explorer
  • Explorer
Cross-border transitions between postal services are never as efficient as one would hope - remember, it's the government that's moving your package, and unionized government workers at that! And as long as we're poking at each other, that got a LOT worse when y'all let your gov't start up DHS, and not just in and out of 'murica: around the world. How free are you? Not as free as you think!

Anyway, your truck: I'm guessing you're trying to do an "efficient powerhouse" with the cold air intake and high flow filter and speciality MAF sensor and bigger throttle body.

I'm not quite sure you're getting it: more air (colder, denser, heavier air) means more fuel. period. that's science.
of course you get a few more horsepower over stock when you change out what the factory puts in - the computer delivers more fuel to compensate, and more of that more fuel turns into more horsepower. The EFIEs will help with that - probably bring things closer to or a little bit better than stock mileage. But you still havent altered the dynamics inside the manifold. til then, you'll just burn more fuel slightly better

what we're (well, I am) concerned with is efficiency, the pinnacle of performance as far as I'm concerned: getting the closest to or slightly better than stock performance out of as little fuel as possible.
I put the groove on to better mix air and fuel, and to my great joy, it worked!
then I made more of the ignition energy hit that better mixture, and that works at burning more fully what its given.
How can I tell?
when I'm heavy with my right foot, that gas gauge sure drops fast.
The MAP enhancer...well, you'll be able to tell when you've got it "right". (my advice for tweaking that, like with applying the groove, is to go easy, take it a small step at a time)
Now, the EFIE will make sure that the computer understands what we're doing, but we for sure have made combustion improvements to our vehicles because we burn much more of the gas in the cylinders better than the factory intended.

You, unfortunately, have yet to get our wee groove happening on your vehicle, but you're putting all sorts of other work into making the fuel you give it burn, and you're making sure you can school the computer to not freak out over what we're doing to it vs what it's parents programmed it to do.

get those parts on, then do your groove.

All that remains, Andrew, is to do the groove.

Then you can tell us about your mileage gains, and they'll mean something more to us than they do now. you'll strengthen your bond with the groove family, community, whatever you want to call it.

Get that groove on.
Good luck, be safe, have fun.

2018 GMC Sierra 1500 6.2L V8 - Starting from scratch 03 Jun 2019 10:48 #24

• CLAUDIO CORDOVA
  • Adventurer
  • Adventurer
Hey Andrew how are things going? Did you get around to putting the wires on?