Welcome, Guest
Username: Password:

TOPIC: 2018 GMC Sierra 1500 6.2L V8 - Starting from scratch

2018 GMC Sierra 1500 6.2L V8 - Starting from scratch 16 Jul 2019 14:53 #49

• Andrew Leyva
  • Adventurer
  • Adventurer
  • Thank you received: 104
Hey Claudio! I was just thinking about that just yesterday - whether or not I should do a reset. I have not yet done so. I was waiting until I grooved it. My last fill up was 12mpg. So, I'm considering it.

Yeah Greg, everything I'm reading and seeing is the ECM is enriching the fuel to maintain that coveted 14.7:1 ratio. Scoundrels! Interesting question on the volume of air - I have a scan tool. I'll check those parameters first chance I get. I'm still working on installing the EFIE's. I got the extender harnesses. They are not a perfect match; the notches don't line up. So, I've modified (deleted) the notch on the extension harnesses, but still have to do likewise to the vehicle connectors. Also, been trying to determine which wire is the ECM wire. Best information I'm getting is the #2 pin/wire is the ECM; the others are ground and two heater wires.

New extension harness with "deleted" notch at the #2 pin:

I'm on my way to Sears or Home Depot to get a Soldering Gun to splice the EFIE on the wire (harness). My new Dremel has already arrived and I"m re-reading the Groovy Manual/videos for the big Groove project!

They're telling me the blue wire is ground and the white (#2 pin) is the ECM wire. I'll find out soon....

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Michael Lee, CLAUDIO CORDOVA

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Andrew Leyva.

2018 GMC Sierra 1500 6.2L V8 - Starting from scratch 16 Jul 2019 15:03 #50

• CLAUDIO CORDOVA
  • Personal License Holder
  • Personal License Holder
  • Thank you received: 127
Awesome! Make sure you read the manual a couple times, for me it helped during my first cut and tb. Remember to be patient and breathe. Also take pictures! Looking forward to the updates.

2018 GMC Sierra 1500 6.2L V8 - Starting from scratch 17 Jul 2019 09:52 #51

• GregK
  • Friends of Gadgetman
  • Friends of Gadgetman
  • Thank you received: 652
Right, what Claudio says about patience and breathing, and keep your bit cool and lubed! I have a capful (maybe 1oz or so) of Seafoam or MMO or WD40 next to me when I groove.

Determining wires on the o2 sensor - I'm surprised nobody has put up a video of using pins to back probe connectors to meter the voltage/signal. maybe it's assumed knowledge, but obviously not everyone has it.... anyway, the white wire sounds like it's the money wire (literally!), but be sure to check. You're lucky to be able to do that easily, Andrew - looks like it's high enough that it wont need to be jacked/lifted to get underneath where the connectors are.

ALSO - and this may be jumping the gun a wee smidge - but remember to load up the engine with AC on high/highbeams,/4ways/wipers and whatever else before turning the key on the first start after grooving for the re-learn: the compressor and alternator put a not insignificant load on the engine, and THAT'S key in having the computer re-learn idle. Obviously do the drive cycle without all of that. but if you forget, with the key in the run position, rapidly floor and release the gas pedal 7 or more times. (with my hood up, I can hear the plate move from stop to stop, closed to open). Also, I've found better results occur when the air is cool and dense, as in early morning/late night, which is also good because the roads are likely more quiet/empty for your drive cycle at that time.
Greg Kusiak
Most Active Member
Audiophile
The following user(s) said Thank You: Michael Lee, CLAUDIO CORDOVA, Andrew Leyva

2018 GMC Sierra 1500 6.2L V8 - Starting from scratch 31 Jul 2019 01:58 #52

• GregK
  • Friends of Gadgetman
  • Friends of Gadgetman
I’ve been wondering - any progress here yet, Andrew?
Greg Kusiak
Most Active Member
Audiophile

2018 GMC Sierra 1500 6.2L V8 - Starting from scratch 06 Aug 2019 15:03 #53

• Andrew Leyva
  • Adventurer
  • Adventurer
Thanks for having my back, guys! I've been out of town, so the going is slow. I'll update asap. Planning on tackling the EFIE's this afternoon.... Stay tuned!
The following user(s) said Thank You: GregK, Michael Lee, CLAUDIO CORDOVA

2018 GMC Sierra 1500 6.2L V8 - Starting from scratch 07 Aug 2019 10:57 #54

• GregK
  • Friends of Gadgetman
  • Friends of Gadgetman
FYI- it has been ridiculously warm (for here) and humid here of late, and I had to drive ~30miles out into the country to a day job client last week. my Instantaneous mileage readout was telling me at 80km/hr, I was using 3.5L/100km.(translation for non-metric people: less than 1 US gallon for every 61.9miles at 50MPH...that's in the 65MPG range. 67.2, actually, according to the first converter site google pulled up)
Giddy up Andrew! Git 'er Duuuuuuuuhn already. You're killing me here, with all this standing by and staying tuned...
Greg Kusiak
Most Active Member
Audiophile
The following user(s) said Thank You: Michael Lee, Andrew Leyva

2018 GMC Sierra 1500 6.2L V8 - Starting from scratch 07 Aug 2019 12:27 #55

• Andrew Leyva
  • Adventurer
  • Adventurer
Haha! That is AWESOME! Very motivating!

Yeah, it's driving me crazy, too! Having to put out little fires here and there takes up my time at home and then I'm off again. My goal is to have everything installed by the end of the month, EFIE, MAP and the Groove.... Thanks for sharing and stoking my enthusiasm!
The following user(s) said Thank You: GregK, Michael Lee

Last edit: by Andrew Leyva.

2018 GMC Sierra 1500 6.2L V8 - Starting from scratch 07 Aug 2019 22:25 #56

• GregK
  • Friends of Gadgetman
  • Friends of Gadgetman
It doesn't happen all the time, but when the stars align or whatever, it's glorious. Regardless, any improvement over stock/DoT/EPA ratings is a win...for wallet, planet, or just plain ol' "Golly, lookit what I've dome!" thrills/grin...and the groove does all of that to some degree.
Greg Kusiak
Most Active Member
Audiophile
The following user(s) said Thank You: Michael Lee, Andrew Leyva

2018 GMC Sierra 1500 6.2L V8 - Starting from scratch 13 Aug 2019 22:50 #57

• Andrew Leyva
  • Adventurer
  • Adventurer
Okay, turtling along here....

I was able to test fit the extender harness and it looks like it will work. Ran the engine for a few minutes with the extender installed and no check lights, no codes. Yay!

Instead of "deleting" the notch on the factory plug to accommodate the extender, I simply created a hole on the extender to accommodate the factory notch. Clear as mud? Here's a pic.

Now that I know it will fit, I'll solder the EFIE wire onto the extender at pin #2 and fish that wire into the cab. Of course I'll have to duplicate that on the other side, too. And that will have to wait until next week. Ugh!

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

The following user(s) said Thank You: CLAUDIO CORDOVA

Last edit: by Andrew Leyva. Reason: additional comments.

2018 GMC Sierra 1500 6.2L V8 - Starting from scratch 14 Aug 2019 10:17 #58

• GregK
  • Friends of Gadgetman
  • Friends of Gadgetman
As long as the locking mechanism keeps the contacts together so signal flows, whatever works!

I had an industrial electrician friend help me with getting wires through my firewall - he has the stuff and I don’t. (That’s why it took me so long to get mine installed - I couldn’t figure that part out. With his experience, it took no time. I was under the car working on the sensor connection while he was up top doing power and ground. I don’t think the work took more than 60 minutes, from gathering tools and getting enough space underneath to work to starting the re-learn).
I’m using my Jedi powers to clear 90 minutes in your weekend so you can get this done. ;)
Greg Kusiak
Most Active Member
Audiophile
The following user(s) said Thank You: CLAUDIO CORDOVA, Andrew Leyva

2018 GMC Sierra 1500 6.2L V8 - Starting from scratch 17 Aug 2019 16:21 #59

• Andrew Leyva
  • Adventurer
  • Adventurer
Haha! Do or do not! There is no try!