Please log in or register to see it.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Ron Hatton, Michael Lee

Please Log in to join the conversation.

2018 GMC Sierra 1500 6.2L V8 - Starting from scratch 18 Aug 2019 12:36 #62

• Andrew Leyva
  • Adventurer
  • Adventurer
  • Thank you received: 104
I wasn't able to actually INSTALL them, but they're ready to go! I"ll have to wait until you send me another 90 minutes to put them in. LOL!

This message has an attachment image.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Ron Hatton, Michael Lee, CLAUDIO CORDOVA

2018 GMC Sierra 1500 6.2L V8 - Starting from scratch 19 Aug 2019 09:19 #63

• GregK
  • Friends of Gadgetman
  • Friends of Gadgetman
  • Thank you received: 652
+90 minutes.

This isn't a criticism of your first solder job - they look solid - but for future reference:
AWESOME IDEA! HOW TO TWIST ELECTRIC WIRE TOGETHER! - YouTube

I even splay out the strands a bit and mesh them together where they cross BEFORE twisting, then solder (look for videos that show that in the "Up Next" feed).
I think it's called a linesman's knot, and this technique is mil-spec/NASA approved. If you look at High Voltage transmission lines, it's how the utilities do it.
If it's good enough to put people in space, It will darned sure work to save you some fuel
I take it to the extreme by painting the joint with liquid tape, THEN shrink wrap that. I'm sure millennia in the future, my solder joints will be sound.
Greg Kusiak
Most Active Member
Audiophile
The following user(s) said Thank You: Michael Lee

Last edit: by Ron Hatton.

2018 GMC Sierra 1500 6.2L V8 - Starting from scratch 02 Sep 2019 11:57 #64

• GregK
  • Friends of Gadgetman
  • Friends of Gadgetman
anything going on here??
Greg Kusiak
Most Active Member
Audiophile

2018 GMC Sierra 1500 6.2L V8 - Starting from scratch 02 Sep 2019 14:12 #65

• Andrew Leyva
  • Adventurer
  • Adventurer
Ha! Ha! I was just about to post....

Believe it or not I have made a little progress. I'm finding out what DOESN'T work! :D Thanks, BTW, for the tips on the solder! I'm always open to constructive criticism. A university physicist friend of mine told me about the exact NASA way to join the wires - pretty much the same as the video you linked, with a slight variation. Thanks!

I'm trying to keep things as neat and clean an install as possible, as opposed to randomly splicing into wires. I've discovered Add a Circuit or Fuse to Circuit with pigtails gadgets. These will make the power splices a breeze! My goal is to be able to revert back to stock, if needs be, or to modify/re-modify without it looking like a train wreck.

I've been going back and forth on where to put the EFIE, inside the cab or secured safely in the engine bay. Bank 2 sensor 1 is easy to access with only having to remove the wheel well skirt. The driver side is another story. I'll have to remove the wheel as well as the skirt, because it's located well above the exhaust manifold - and the space is tight! I had everything apart on the EASY side, was about to drill into the firewall and stopped short; studied the situation for a good, long, many minutes and I think I've come up with a better plan. So, I put every thing back to normal, since I was out of the 90 mins you sent me! :D So, no install, but I now know what I DON'T want to do.

In the meantime, I've been chomping at the bit to get that Groove on and it's been distracting me from focusing on the EFIE. Been watching the videos and re-reading the manual. So, change of plans. I'm focusing on getting the Groove installed and not putting the EFIE/ MAP enhancer on until AFTER I've Grooved it. I had a good conversation Ron and he encouraged me to do so. I'm looking forward to the forthcoming Snake Oil. As soon as it arrives, I'll do the 30 seconds of WD40/30 sec of carb cleaner in the crankcase in preparation for the new oil and Snake oil additive. Looking forward to that!

Meanwhile, I've "deleted" the PCV. JB Kwik is a wonderful thing!

My goal is to have my old Mitsubishi TB grooved, for practice, by this weekend (when I get back into town). I'll post pictures for you all to critique. Thanks again for your indulgence, guys! Have a great Labor Day!!

The following user(s) said Thank You: Ron Hatton, GregK, Michael Lee, CLAUDIO CORDOVA

2018 GMC Sierra 1500 6.2L V8 - Starting from scratch 03 Sep 2019 11:30 #66

• GregK
  • Friends of Gadgetman
  • Friends of Gadgetman
My EFIE is in the cabin, in the front passenger footwell fuse panel. It seemed to be ideal for access and wire runs, since there is a plug in the firewall for pass-through that goes within literal inches of where the upstream sensor is placed. I should take pics...

But yes, groove first. and let the computer settle in for a bit before you get to the electronics.

+120 minutes for the groove procedure.
Greg Kusiak
Most Active Member
Audiophile
The following user(s) said Thank You: Michael Lee, CLAUDIO CORDOVA, Andrew Leyva

2018 GMC Sierra 1500 6.2L V8 - Starting from scratch 11 Sep 2019 01:54 #67

• Andrew Leyva
  • Adventurer
  • Adventurer
Okay, so I "deleted" the PCV. The engine appears to run smoother and with a bit less effort. Instant MPG's indicated 17.1 after the mod - haven't seen that since I Installed the plugs/wires/coil paks and observed 17.8. The instant MPG is a bit optimistic and my ACTUAL mileage differs, but it is consistent. The actual MPG went up about a 1 mile per gallon - but that was only about 140 miles of driving on the delete.

I was eagerly awaiting Ron's Snake Oil. It arrived yesterday and today I was able to get that ball rolling. I applied the :30 second each of the WD40 and Berryman's Carb Cleaner into the crankcase and let it idle for 45 minutes. I noticed a little bit of moisture in the tail pipe. Not quite as much as with the ignition upgrade (there was literally a puddle under the pipe then! For a second I was scared I had a blown head gasket!!), but it was a bit steamy and not as stinky. Looks like the PCV delete is having a positive effect!

Last week sent off for some AMSOil and filter. Expensive stuff, but if you sign up for a $20/year membership you get 25% off and free shipping over $100 at the AMS oil website. With all the discounts AND the membership, it was cheaper than the Valvoline and filter that was on sale here at Autozone. I think AMS Oil is the best, so that was a score!

I've driven only about 5 miles on the fresh oil and magical Snake Oil for the grocery run. I'll report future results... One thing for sure is the beast is running like a champ! Smooth. I'll post pics on the practice Groove when I get back. Have a great week!

The following user(s) said Thank You: Johnathan, Michael Lee, CLAUDIO CORDOVA

Last edit: by Andrew Leyva.

2018 GMC Sierra 1500 6.2L V8 - Starting from scratch 11 Sep 2019 10:19 #68

• GregK
  • Friends of Gadgetman
  • Friends of Gadgetman
good good...well on your way in this journey. Get the groove happening, then watch the puddle collect under (and behind!) the tailpipe.
(the computer will take some time to sort out the results of the PCV delete, but it's a very good sign you've got water at the tailpipe.)

Are you tracking your fuel consumption with pen and paper or an app rather than the readout in the "Driver Information Center"? I realized, before the groove, on my buick...it lies: it sometimes over-reports mileage/range/fuel used, and sometimes it under-reports. the only way I've been able to keep it honest is with an app for my iPhone called Gas Manager. Since I've grooved, It's much closer to reality, and the EFIE makes it within 1/10 of the number the car tells me
Greg Kusiak
Most Active Member
Audiophile
The following user(s) said Thank You: Johnathan, Michael Lee, CLAUDIO CORDOVA, Andrew Leyva

2018 GMC Sierra 1500 6.2L V8 - Starting from scratch 22 Sep 2019 15:22 #69

• Andrew Leyva
  • Adventurer
  • Adventurer
Okay, guys. Thanks for sticking with me!

Preliminary results on fresh AMS Oil, Snake Oil and pcv delete....

I've been using Car Care app by Karl Becker. It's a simple app that does the job. I've downloaded Gas Manager and it looks like it has more detail. I'll use both and see which one I like best.

The PCV, fresh oil + Snake Oil: it appears the engine runs incredibly smooth, after their application. MPG wise - I was down a touch to 13.2 from last fill up at 13.8 mpg. I think that might be due to idling the truck for nearly an hour for the WD-40/Carb cleaner protocol. The optimistic Driver Information Center has been showing me a consistent 3 to 4 increase in mpg average, peaking at 17.7 mpg. I'm expecting 15+ mpg on my next fill up (via the app).

Pre Snake/AMS/PCV:
Optimistic Driver Information Center: 14.1 mpg
Actual via the app: 13.8

Post Snake/AMS/PCV:
Optimistic Driver Information Center: 17.7
Actual via the app: 13.2 --- thus far which includes the 1 hour idle fuel consumption and partial pre Snake/AMS treatment. I'm expecting to see this number in the high 14's low 15's if the Driver Info Center is consistent versus the app.

2018 GMC Sierra 1500 6.2L V8 - Starting from scratch 22 Sep 2019 15:51 #70

• Andrew Leyva
  • Adventurer
  • Adventurer
First Groove..... This is the TB off my old 2004 Mitsubishi Endeavor I had lying around.

I broke through on the edges that I'll have to fix with JB Kwik. Also, I went wide a couple of times. I'll fill in with the Kwik and re-groove...

Okay! Hit me with it! What could I have done better???

This message has attachments images.

Last edit: by Andrew Leyva.

2018 GMC Sierra 1500 6.2L V8 - Starting from scratch 22 Sep 2019 16:00 #71

• GregK
  • Friends of Gadgetman
  • Friends of Gadgetman

Andrew Leyva wrote: Okay, guys. Thanks for sticking with me!

Preliminary results on fresh AMS Oil, Snake Oil and pcv delete....

I've been using Car Care app by Karl Becker. It's a simple app that does the job. I've downloaded Gas Manager and it looks like it has more detail. I'll use both and see which one I like best.

The PCV, fresh oil + Snake Oil: it appears the engine runs incredibly smooth, after their application. MPG wise - I was down a touch to 13.2 from last fill up at 13.8 mpg. I think that might be due to idling the truck for nearly an hour for the WD-40/Carb cleaner protocol. The optimistic Driver Information Center has been showing me a consistent 3 to 4 increase in mpg average, peaking at 17.7 mpg. I'm expecting 15+ mpg on my next fill up (via the app).

Pre Snake/AMS/PCV:
Optimistic Driver Information Center: 14.1 mpg
Actual via the app: 13.8

Post Snake/AMS/PCV:
Optimistic Driver Information Center: 17.7
Actual via the app: 13.2 --- thus far which includes the 1 hour idle fuel consumption and partial pre Snake/AMS treatment. I'm expecting to see this number in the high 14's low 15's if the Driver Info Center is consistent versus the app.

My DIC shows different numbers from my app too- somehow it factors in fuel delivered during idle, when the speed sensor isn’t active. I’ve also noticed that it changes when I reset the “fuel used” number at every fill up -NOT top up, those times when you throw a few dollars in when the tank gets low.

I suspect it’s a convoluted formula based on the volume of air passing the MAF, referenced to fuel delivery and THEN compared to mileage.

What I do is sort of average Instantaneous readings - maybe a better indication of how efficiently you’re driving. As long as the distance to empty (range) number increases with each tank, I know I’m on the right track, and that depends how good I am at getting off the gas just enough to maintain speed.

The BAC bifilar coil and EFIE have helped me significantly enough to encourage you to get those happening for yourself. The coil takes a fraction of the time of the EFIE, so +2hrs for you to get those done. (The time spent installing these will pay back when you don’t spend as much time at the pumps feeding your horse, cowboy ?). I’m at ~600km on this tank, with another 400 showing til empty: that’s 1000km/619mi from 68Litres/18.5gallons combined. Mid 30s mpg vs low 20s govt rating - on a 10yr old car with 150,000 miles on it. 50% improvement. You can get this too, Andrew - you’re being just as careful as I was. Git ‘Er duuuuuuun, sir!
Greg Kusiak
Most Active Member
Audiophile
The following user(s) said Thank You: Johnathan, Michael Lee, Andrew Leyva

2018 GMC Sierra 1500 6.2L V8 - Starting from scratch 22 Sep 2019 16:14 #72

• Ron Hatton
  • Founder
  • Founder
  • Gadgetman
  • Thank you received: 490
Andy, it looks pretty good. Where you went South was in how far you were angling the bit when sliding Left. That's what caused the widened spots. And once it's wide, it's going to stay that way.

1) Make sure you roughen the outside where you cut through with a drill bit or something, but make sure it's down to METAL. NO CLEANING AFTER SCRATCHING!!!
2) Take MORE TIME cutting The Groove. Be patient. Even taking it SUPER slow, shouldn't take more than 20 minutes, and it's an investment in the rest of the life of the engine.
3) Always save some shavings for use in the JB. Since it isn't a metal, you should go SLOWER when you're cutting into the patch. Otherwise, the bit will want to dig, and that will drop efficiency.

And make sure you do the Bifilar coils! I did The Groove on our '11 Taurus Limited, and no matter what, the MPG's wouldn't plateau. They kinda settled at around 275 per tank. That being said, after Snake Oil and adding the Bifilar coils to the fuel rail input line and to the top rad hose, I just checked it and it is over the 415 per tank range!!!
Ron Hatton
Developer of The Gadgetman Groove
and Snake Oil-https://SnakeOil.wtf/?wpam_id=1
The following user(s) said Thank You: Johnathan, Michael Lee, CLAUDIO CORDOVA, Andrew Leyva