Welcome, Guest
Username: Password:
Talk about anything here related to Groove installation and enhancements.
  • Page:

TOPIC: Bone up on your computer skills folks!

Bone up on your computer skills folks! 27 May 2019 11:22 #1

• GregK
  • Friends of Gadgetman
  • Friends of Gadgetman
  • Thank you received: 652
Here’s a story I tripped across while having lunch just now:
Brain transplant will help GM cars match wits with Tesla
If “Right to Repair” is important to you, you know this already.

EDIT: There was a link in that story that I just checked as well. I'm going to predict that copper will go the way of the dinosaur in favour of fiber optic cabling.
another
another thing it alluded to was that OBD/sensors/CANbus as we know them are going to change significantly in the next 5 years.
(This is big, but a groove inside the throttle valve of an IC engine will endure. In the meantime we have analog hacks for analog sensors, but those will have to be adapted to modifying the digital datastream that seems to be impending, so we'll have to be hackers to an extent in addition to people who wrench. and if electric vehicles start to supplant traditional ones, autonomous or not, knowing your DC power generation and storage and distribution will be a requirement for the modern auto technician too)

As further proof (to me), I finally got the Eagle Research EFIE on my car’s Oxygen sensor...and early indications are such that I really shouldn’t have waited (or delayed) so long. I have a bit more driving to do, but look for a report on my 2007 Buick Rendezvous 3.5L v6 topic very soon!
Greg Kusiak
Most Active Member
Audiophile

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: by GregK.

Bone up on your computer skills folks! 27 May 2019 22:39 #2

• Preston
  • Adventurer
  • Adventurer
  • Thank you received: 19
don't see a link to a story,(probably about Apple or Tesla)
But I am interested in your EFIE results!
The following user(s) said Thank You: GregK

Last edit: by Preston.

Bone up on your computer skills folks! 27 May 2019 23:16 #3

• GregK
  • Friends of Gadgetman
  • Friends of Gadgetman
Dagnabit, I forget that I have to use the link-posting macro. Every stinking time.
It’s easier to fix this on my desktop computer, so it’ll have to wait til the morning (typing from my phone before lights out).

EFIE: My results at this early stage (it has been only 3 days) are wholly unscientific: the trip meter in the car that I reset at each fill up is out of sync with the gas gauge as I’ve come to know it. The trip meter is fast and/or the gas gauge is slow, if that means anything to you ;) I’ll know better in a few days after more driving and a fillup, but for cars that have “stubborn computers,” this might be a solution.
Greg Kusiak
Most Active Member
Audiophile

Bone up on your computer skills folks! 27 May 2019 23:36 #4

• Preston
  • Adventurer
  • Adventurer
  • Thank you received: 19
Ya, mileage tests don't mean much to me if people quote their Cars computer after a 50 mile run. Have to average a couple tanks, doing it the old fashioned way.

I got my EFIE's a couple days ago. In theory they look pretty simple to install. Maybe you could comment on the tuning difficulty when you get them dialed in. I'm only using my for testing purposes, ummm . . Off Road of course. ;) Don't want too clean of an exhaust emission or I might attract the CA smog police.

Bone up on your computer skills folks! 28 May 2019 09:12 #5

• GregK
  • Friends of Gadgetman
  • Friends of Gadgetman
corrected my first post so that the link was clickable.

as to dialling the EFIE in, it was pretty simple: the manual has the info, but the big help may be the video on youtube (which I had to watch a few times because he got me all confused with the alligator clip jumper wires) of calibrating/dialling it in.
what you have to keep in mind is that the computer is looking for a waveform, a consistent voltage swing, so for me, I had to find the balance between the EFIE and the MAP enhancer, which was (surprisingly, since I just dialled it in by ear and feel rather than with any type of meter) very close to where it sits now. I've done a number of drives through the orchards and vineyards just outside of my small city with my voltmeter (analog style, with a needle that swings rather than a digital one with numbers that autorange) to see that the needle was indeed swinging rather than pegged. Yesterday afternoon, I got the balance (between EFIE and MAP) about as far as I care to take it; I was able to trim fuel delivery at idle back to almost stalling - the tach was below 500 rpm (factory idle is 550ish).
For you with the v8 and multiple EFIEs, I recommend a staged approach: what you do to one bank, you apply to the other, and then repeat, taking small steps. maybe 50-100 millivolt adjustments to the offset at each step, with a drive between adjustments. you'll know when it's not right or if you've gone too far.

ADDENDUM: here are good articles on o2 sensors, their operation and what the computer is looking for from them. Preston, you should go and see what they have to say about the waveform I mentioned above
OXYGEN SENSORS: HOW TO DIAGNOSE & REPLACE
Wideband O2 Sensors and Air/Fuel (A/F) Sensors
Greg Kusiak
Most Active Member
Audiophile
The following user(s) said Thank You: Preston

Bone up on your computer skills folks! 28 May 2019 13:25 #6

• GregK
  • Friends of Gadgetman
  • Friends of Gadgetman
So I just topped up:

See what taking control of your computer in addition to the groove etc can do??
Greg Kusiak
Most Active Member
Audiophile

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Tracy Gallaway, Michael Lee, Preston

Bone up on your computer skills folks! 02 Jun 2019 15:56 #7

• GregK
  • Friends of Gadgetman
  • Friends of Gadgetman
After a bit o’ Fiddling with my EFIE and MAP enhancer, here’s the latest results from my mileage tracking:

that's about 12 km/L, the latest. (7.5 miles per liter, 1 and 7/8 miles per cup of gasoline, a quarter mile per ounce... good to the last drop...Ha! why not have some fun with the conversions?)
Yup, it’s climbing still!
There you go, mama nature (and bank account!), and take that big oil and tax man!!
Greg Kusiak
Most Active Member
Audiophile

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Michael Lee

• Page: