YEAR, MAKE, MODEL, ENGINE SIZE is the order to post in this forum.
It should be like this:
2002 Chevy 1500 5.3
Then, put your report in as the message. That way, EVERYONE can see how successful you've been!
  • Page:

TOPIC: Performance Spark Plugs

Performance Spark Plugs 28 Sep 2019 00:30 #1

• Simon Burdett
  • Adventurer
  • Adventurer
  • Thank you received: 2
I'm really hesitant to mess with my spark plugs, enlarging the gap ect, so can anyone reccomend high performance spark plugs?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Performance Spark Plugs 28 Sep 2019 12:51 #2

• GregK
  • Away
  • Explorer
  • Explorer
  • Thank you received: 403
Only you can determine which is the right solution for you and your vehicle, that sexy 2097 Unobtainium Galactic CoitalScoot LXE turbo AWD with antigrav suspension you've been bragging about, you lucky mumble-grumble... ;-p
You can either tell us what you drive, or you can poke around some on here til you find a car that's close to yours for a possible solution.

the important thing is to get as much of the ignition energy in the spark plug gap as possible; In some cases that means resistorless spark plugs, in others it means low resistance spark wires, in still others it's possible to make larger than factory voltages for stronger sparks with bigger coils.

TracyG and I use the Torquemaster plugs from Extreme Spark with our Granatelli Wires. Andrew Leyva got the Torquemasters and put upgraded Granatelli coils on.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Tracy Gallaway, Johnathan, Michael Lee, Simon Burdett

Performance Spark Plugs 28 Sep 2019 21:09 #3

• Simon Burdett
  • Adventurer
  • Adventurer
Thank you Greg for your answer.

I drive a 2003 Volvo XC90 petrol, so I will buy them plugs, and what else can you reccomend?

Performance Spark Plugs 29 Sep 2019 03:02 #4

• Ron Hatton
  • Founder
  • Founder
  • Gadgetman
  • Thank you received: 337
You know, if you are unwilling to try something different, like trying adjusting your spark plugs (what could it POSSIBLY hurt?) why are you here, Simon?

If you don't challenge what you've been told, you will never grow beyond the limits other people have set.

just sayin...
Ron Hatton
Developer of The Gadgetman Groove
Smile for a stranger today.
You will both be glad you did.

Performance Spark Plugs 29 Sep 2019 03:38 #5

• GregK
  • Away
  • Explorer
  • Explorer
You’re welcome.
Ron makes a good point, unless you simply want a new set of plugs.
As far as other recommendations, you would have to tell me if it’s coil on plug or near plug. But in the spirit of “why not” here are a few :
Check and change your oil and filter Regularly, and keep it at the right level with the right oil.
Watch and maintain proper tire pressure. Also, rotate your tires every 2 oil changes: it’s a perfect opportunity to check brake wear and suspension.
Clean your MAF sensor when you change your air filter, which should be when you change your oil.

Performance Spark Plugs 29 Sep 2019 04:49 #6

• Simon Burdett
  • Adventurer
  • Adventurer
I've decided to use Torquemaster plugs.

Performance Spark Plugs 29 Sep 2019 16:21 #7

• GregK
  • Away
  • Explorer
  • Explorer
That's clear.
I've got the Torquemasters and Granatelli wires on my 3.5L NA gasoline v6, with the EFIE and I'm doing quite well with mileage since grooving the TB. For you, the new spark plugs would be a good start...but talk to the people at Extreme Spark as well - they know their products and users best.

I forget - is your TB grooved?

According to Rock Auto for that year/model (in North America), there are 2 engines available an Inline 5cyl 2.5L turbo, and an Inline 6cyl 2.9L turbo - no diesels. both are Coil on plug ignition.

If you're thinking about upgrading the rest of your ignition system, go poke around on this guy's website best-itech.comhttp://best-itech.com/index.htm
he makes insulators that he claims help make for better spark/mileage.
The videos are rather compelling...

I would bet that Granatelli racing has coils you could upgrade to for even bigger sparks but they'll likely be somewhat spendy...as an investment in efficiency over time, however, it may prove beneficial if you're planning on keeping the vehicle. They don't list anything Volvo, but they may be able to recommend a product, Global parts bins and supply chain being what they are, I'd wager/guess your Volvo coils are re-branded Bosch parts - worth a pre-sale email to them.
As a really deep dive into Ignition improvements, Aaron Murakami claims he has the contact of a manufacturer who will make direct replacement coils for Coil-on-plug ignitions that function to make plasma as per his design - that would probably committing to a run of thousands, so if you want to turn into a salesperson/dealer, go look on his forum

I'd also recommend visiting George Wiseman and look for his EFIE circuit: you'll need one for each upstream Oxygen/lambda sensor especially after upgrading your ignition - they will help adjust fuel delivery to compensate for improved burn in your engine's cylinders.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Johnathan, Michael Lee, CLAUDIO CORDOVA, Preston

Last edit: by GregK. Reason: Added links

Performance Spark Plugs 14 Oct 2019 14:17 #8

• GregK
  • Away
  • Explorer
  • Explorer
Sorry Simon - I've updated my last reply to include the links that I thought were inserted. Perhaps and hopefully they will help you.
Please report back when you've made your plug upgrade

• Page: