Welcome, Guest
Username: Password:
YEAR, MAKE, MODEL, ENGINE SIZE is the order to post in this forum.
It should be like this:
2002 Chevy 1500 5.3
Then, put your report in as the message. That way, EVERYONE can see how successful you've been!
  • Page:

TOPIC: MPG test 1985 Subaru GL Wagon 1.8L OHC 5 spd trans

MPG test 1985 Subaru GL Wagon 1.8L OHC 5 spd trans 10 Nov 2019 01:14 #1

• Tracy Gallaway
  • Founder
  • Founder
  • Thank you received: 564
I just got back from a 50 mile fuel economy test, on my "test track". This is a 25 mile stretch of hiway between Fernley and Fallon Nevada. Tonite test conditions were near ideal- no wind light/moderate traffic. I think temperature was high40's-low 50's.

I drove at 60 MPH, as steady as possible. No passing anyone or lane changes on this 4 lane smooth mostly straight flat hiway.

This engine was given an oil change to 10w-30 oil several days ago, and 100%Pure Snake Oi 5 cc's added. 2 days ago, Snake Oil for Gear Oil Assy's 5 cc's was added to the 5 spd manual transaxle, and Snake Oil for cooling Systems 5 cc's was added to the (cold) radiator. At first fuel fillup in Fernely just before testing tonite, 6 cc's of Snake Oil for Fuel Systems was added to the gas, then the tank was topped off w/ regular 7-11 gas.

The test drive consists of gentle acceleration to 60 MPH test speed from the 7-11 store in east Fernley and this is held steadily for 25 miles into the outskirts of Fallon. At 24.5 mile mark it's a quiet open section of hiway, and I shift to neutral, coasting to the 25 mile mark. There was no nearby traffic, so I executed a 180 Deg turn and headed back to the exact same station and gas pump in Fernley. This style of test was named the Orange Test, by Dennis Lee 12 yrs ago during the old HAFC program. Idea is to test the CAR itself, while reducing other factors as much as possible.

Final result: 0.805 gallon of gas used in 50.1 miles= 62.236 MPG. This can round up to "just a tad less than 62 1/4 MPG" !!:woohoo: :cheer:

In perspective, before the oil change and all the Snake Oil additions, 'ol Subie was averaging about 25-26 MPG in combined driving in Reno.

This Orange Test compares favorably to Subie's all-time best of 72 MPG on the exact same test drive 4 summers ago. I might add, I believe that in that test I had the Weber 32/36 DGEV carb jetted leaner than now. Plus add in 4+ years of wear on a low-buck engine rebuild of 15 years ago.

not bad at all, I'd say!B)

GET SOME SNAKE OIL- THIS STUFF WORKS!!!

Tracy G
Gadgetman Reno
Tracy Gallaway
Founder and Constant Aide to Gadgetman
Gadgetman Reno, NV
The following user(s) said Thank You: CLAUDIO CORDOVA

Please Log in to join the conversation.

MPG test 1985 Subaru GL Wagon 1.8L OHC 5 spd trans 10 Nov 2019 08:51 #2

• Ron Hatton
  • Founder
  • Founder
  • Gadgetman
  • Thank you received: 490
Tracy, once again you set a standard for others to follow.

This is a SUPERB write-up of your mileage run. And while you mentioned your personal best at 72, I bet that was with other equipment (as you mentioned). Going from an average of 25-26 to getting over 60 is REMARKABLE in many ways!

I am going to be following these results over the following months, as you know, they will only improve over time! (so long as there is Snake Oil in the solution!

BTW, I just got a report in where the customer stated that when he first applied Snake Oil to his engine, he had only 25% of his oil life remaining (as told by the on-board monitoring system) and, after three months (with NO OIL CHANGE) that number had improved! Now, it tells him he has over 40% remaining!!!

I TOLD you it would extend engine oil life!

Are we in Happy Land yet???

Ron

(Direct quote from the transcript from John K.: "I put it in when my oil was at 75% used. It's been 3 months and I'm at 60% now.")
Ron Hatton
Developer of The Gadgetman Groove
and Snake Oil-https://SnakeOil.wtf/?wpam_id=1

MPG test 1985 Subaru GL Wagon 1.8L OHC 5 spd trans 10 Nov 2019 21:34 #3

• Tracy Gallaway
  • Founder
  • Founder
  • Thank you received: 564
Thanks very much, Ron! Absolutely my pleasure, Sir!:cheer:
I have some more comments about Subie to add...

I mentioned this elsewhere, but first think I notice is it starts easier/better, hot or cold. The engine now has more of the Subaru "growl" sound, it sounds more even and resonant in tone. Acceleration is becoming much easier, almost ridiculously so.

This engine's history is that 4 months after purchase, in Jan. 2005, 2 pistons began to seize up on a road trip to California. Necessitating a trip back home on a friend's trailer, and a whole year in bottom end rebuild w/ new oversize pistons/rings, bearings, full gaskets set, etc. etc.

The past several months I've noticed a slight momentary hesitation manifesting around 40 MPH. IT would come and go almost like a lean surge. I believed it was a rear wheel bearing going out. I bought, but had not yet installed a new rear wheel bearing set, being busy w/ other stuff.

Now that slight hesitation is gone. SInce I hadn't touched that wheel bearing, it must have had to do w/ the engine. IT's possible that the original scenario in the engine was setting up to repeat. So I postulate, that I just might have saved this engine!!:ohmy:

On top of this it now shifts better and easier. IT wasn't doing badly, but now it is very smooth.

Ya know, Ron, if ya hadn't already named these products Snake Oil, I might have suggested Dr. Science's Magik Elixer.

( the sound of an old-time Calliope playing in the backround)
"YESSIR, Step right Up folks, why to-day you are going to witness with your very Eyes Dr Science's Magik Elixer HEAL, I said HEAL, this tired worn old Steam Engine!! Yessir folks, this is the very Steam Engine that was on the Famous Fire Pump Engine, Old number Seven, the very one that just in the nick of Time saved the Mayor's House during the Great Chicago Fire! Why, the noble Mayor and his beautiful Wife and Children owe their VERY LIVES to Old Number Seven and her Gallant Fire Company!! The good Doctor is himself hear to do the great Healing of this mighty pumper engine! Step right up, friends come and see for yourselves the Miracle Cure, the wondrous Magik Elixer perform this Wonder Cure upon this famous piece of badly needed equipment-- part of our Great Chicago Fire Department..." and so on...!:silly:

Tracy G
Tracy Gallaway
Founder and Constant Aide to Gadgetman
Gadgetman Reno, NV

• Page: