Welcome, Guest
Username: Password:
This is to post your solutions to various issues such as re-routing idle air pathways, location of PCV Connections, and anything else that benefits The Gadgetman Groove modification.
  • Page:

TOPIC: Improving Grounds

Improving Grounds 22 May 2020 01:45 #1

• Tracy Gallaway
  • Founder
  • Founder
  • Thank you received: 564
I saw this short video on you tube, and thought it worthy of posting. While he's working with a Chevy/GM truck.it's just good advice to take heed of, IMHO. If you are working with a later model GM or Chevy truck, then here are some good specific ideas for those.

Tracy G

Tracy Gallaway
Founder and Constant Aide to Gadgetman
Gadgetman Reno, NV
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ron Hatton, GregK

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Improving Grounds 22 May 2020 09:04 #2

• Ron Hatton
  • Founder
  • Founder
  • Gadgetman
  • Thank you received: 490
People seldom realize how incredibly important the ground locations are on their rides!

Just 0.25 VDC can dramatically alter your fuel trims!

Ron
Ron Hatton
Developer of The Gadgetman Groove
and Snake Oil-https://SnakeOil.wtf/?wpam_id=1

Improving Grounds 22 May 2020 11:43 #3

• GregK
  • Friends of Gadgetman
  • Friends of Gadgetman
  • Thank you received: 652
I LOOOOVE infrastructure stuff like this, because as Ron said, paying attention to the little things often leads to large rewards.

I believe I posted a YouTube vid a while back about proper wire joining and soldering techniques - and when I say proper, they meet Mil-Spec or higher. If they meet NASA's guidelines, surely they'll do wonders for everything and anything else. I'll have to go looking for that again. For that ring connector, crimping, soldering AND shrink wrapping is correct, as is the application of dielectric between mating surfaces and protectant on top of the mount point. (I like fluid film for that, and it's part of my maintenance routine to check and reapply as necessary)

Doubling up existing ground wires with similar gauge wiring is perfectly valid (I also had a website that showed what effecive wire guages end up as when you double and triple existing wiring)...but I'm a go big or go home guy, so if you're going to do it, don't be less than 2ga. double 0 is probably overkill for a car, but maybe not for a big diesel hauler or RV...or if you've got a kickin' stereo. Give those electrons a big, wide and smooth highway to travel on.
Greg Kusiak
Most Active Member
Audiophile
The following user(s) said Thank You: Tracy Gallaway

Improving Grounds 03 Jan 2021 15:12 #4

• GregK
  • Friends of Gadgetman
  • Friends of Gadgetman
  • Thank you received: 652
After 265k km (160k miles), the alternator in my Wendy gave up the ghost on me.
I upgraded to a higher Amperage output version (125A over the stock 105A), and while I was at it, I took the opportunity to take a good look at my charging/grounding system.
While everything was in good shape (save for cleaning off corrosion from 13 years of service), I decided to try adding a wire (of the same gauge as the main engine ground) from the back of the alternator case to the battery.

Here's where I got the idea from. while his description of how a rectifier changes the Alternating current produced by the generator into the Direct current your car runs on leaves something to be desired (in my opinion - look for videos on Bridge rectifiers to see why), the grounding message is valid:

As Ron said in this thread, a small difference in grounding can make a big difference:
after doing a re-learn and adjusting my EFIE, I'm now getting a nice, consistent 3.8L/100km (61.9 MPG-US) just scooting around town
I'm not sure if I can attribute it to the extra ground wire or the new alternator, but I'll take it!

Here's the link to the wire gauge calculator (I had a bunch of 14ga wire around and I just kept adding lengths until I got a 6ga equivalency):
Wire Combination Calculator wire awg calculator, choosing correct wire size, combining wire sizes, effective awg of multiple wires, gxl wire, txl wire
Simple Wire Gauge (AWG) Calculators</a> <br /> <br /> But you should also check <a href="https://www.wirebarn.com/Wire-Calculator-_ep_41.html" class="bbcode_url" rel="nofollow noopener noreferrer" target="_blank"> Wire Size Calculator</a> <br /> (checking for voltage drop over length at various gauges will help your battery live longer - use 13.8V rather than 12, because most voltage regulators lately are set at <b>at least</b> that point. I also used 5% voltage drop and am still good because the length of my cable is shorter than the max length in the calculator, and my charging voltage/regulator set point is 14.5VDC - that's the published spec, but I measure a few tenths of a volt higher. That might mean that the battery is de-sulfating and absorbing energy still. I should pop it open and check the electrolyte level in it)<br /> <br /> <br /> As best I can recall, this battery is about 4 years old, give or take about 6 months - around the time that most batteries need replacing in cars. If I have to put a new one in in the future, I'll be sure to compare the date code to the date of replacement </div> </div> <div class="kmsgsignature"> <div>Greg Kusiak<br /> Most Active Member<br /> Audiophile</div> </div> <div class="kmessage-thankyou"> The following user(s) said Thank You: <span class="kwho-user hasTooltip">CLAUDIO CORDOVA</span> </div> </td> </tr> <tr> <td class="kbuttonbar-left"> <p>Please <a class="btn-link" href="/login?return=aHR0cHM6Ly9tZW1iZXJzLmdhZGdldG1hbmdyb292ZS5jb20vZm9ydW0vc2VydmljZS1idWxsZXRpbnMvNDIyMy1pbXByb3ZpbmctZ3JvdW5kcw==" rel="nofollow">Log in</a> to join the conversation.</p><div class="kmessage-editmarkup-cover hidden-phone"> <span class="kmessage-editmarkup hidden-phone"> Last edit: by <span class="kwho-user hasTooltip">GregK</span>. </span> </div> <div class="kmessage-buttons-cover"> <div class="kmessage-buttons-row"> </div> </div> </td> </tr> </tbody> </table> </div> </div> </div> <div class="ktopactions"> <table id="topic-actions"> <tbody> <tr> <td class="klist-actions-goto"> <a id="forumtop"> </a> <a href="#forumbottom"> <span class="kicon kforumtop"></span> </a></td> <td class="klist-actions-forum"> <div class="kmessage-buttons-row"> </div> <div class="kmessage-buttons-row"> </div> </td> <td class="klist-pages-all"> <ul class="kpagination"> <li class="page">Page:</li><li><span class="pagenav">1</span></li></ul> </td> </tr> </tbody> </table> </div> <form action="/forum" id="jumpto" name="jumpto" method="post" target="_self"> <input type="hidden" name="view" value="category"/> <input type="hidden" name="task" value="jump"/> <span class="kright"><select name="catid" id="catid" class="inputbox fbs" size="1" onchange = "this.form.submit()"><option value="0">Board Categories</option> <option value="1" selected="selected"> Main Forum</option> <option value="4">- Automotive</option> <option value="5">- - Ford</option> <option value="6">- - General Motors</option> <option value="7">- - Dodge</option> <option value="8">- - Foreign Manufactured</option> <option value="19">- - Performance and Mileage Reports</option> <option value="11">- - Carbureted Vehicles</option> <option value="2">- Welcome Mat</option> <option value="12">- Personal License Pilot Program</option> <option value="9">- Off-Road Applications</option> <option value="10">- Service Bulletins</option> <option value="14">- Brotherly Love</option> <option value="15">- Other Stuff</option> <option value="20">- - Groovy Questions and Other Stuff</option> <option value="22">- - Trial and Error-How we learn!</option> <option value="16">- Diagnostics</option> <option value="17">- Tools of The Trade</option> <option value="25">- Open Discussions</option> </select></span> </form> <div class="pull-right"></div> <div class="clearfix"></div> <div class="kblock kpathway breadcrumbs-2"> <div class="kcontainer"> <div class="ksectionbody"> <div class = "kforum-pathway"> <div class="path-element-first"><a href="index.php?option=com_kunena&view=home&defaultmenu=2322&Itemid=2320">Forum</a></div> <div class="path-element"><a href="index.php?option=com_kunena&view=category&catid=1&Itemid=2320">Main Forum</a></div> <div class="path-element"><a href="index.php?option=com_kunena&view=category&catid=10&Itemid=2320">Service Bulletins</a></div> <div class="path-element"><a href="index.php?option=com_kunena&view=topic&catid=10&id=4223&Itemid=2320">Improving Grounds</a></div> </div> </div> </div> </div> <div class="pull-right large-kicon"><a rel="alternate" type="application/rss+xml" href="/forum/topics/mode-topics?format=feed&type=rss"><i class="icon icon-feed hasTooltip" title="Get the latest posts directly to your desktop" aria-hidden="true"></i></a></div> <div class="clearfix"></div> </div> <div style="text-align:center;"><a href="/forum/credits" style="display: inline !important; visibility: visible !important; text-decoration: none !important;">Powered by</a> <a href="https://www.kunena.org" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" style="display: inline !important; visibility: visible !important; text-decoration: none !important;">Kunena Forum</a></div> <div class="clearfix"></div> <!-- End Content --> </main> </div> </div> </div> <!-- Footer --> <footer class="footer" role="contentinfo"> <div class="container-fluid"> <hr /> <p class="pull-right"> <a href="#top" id="back-top"> Back to Top </a> </p> <p> © 2024 Gadgetman Groove </p> </div> </footer> </body> </html>