Welcome, Guest
Username: Password:
Talk about the tools we use to give GREAT mileage on engines.
  • Page:

TOPIC: Your Groovy tool setup

Your Groovy tool setup 15 May 2019 20:24 #1

• Kenneth Smith
  • Adventurer
  • Adventurer
  • Thank you received: 29
How about a topic for members to describe their Groovy Tool Setup. With a descriptive of ease of operation included, it will help new members to decide their own tool purchase. Include a picture of the motor drive and hand tool. The operations sounds simple, but topic discussing pros and cons on available tools will help the new guy starting out.
Ken

If this request is already posted, I can delete.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Your Groovy tool setup 16 May 2019 07:49 #2

• GregK
  • Friends of Gadgetman
  • Friends of Gadgetman
  • Thank you received: 652
Great idea!
I use the Dremel 4000 with the Flex shaft, so I can cut with one hand and adjust speed (or whatever) with the other.
I also place the TB in a Panavice. trying to hold a TB steady while handling a tool rotating at 15000rpm seemed like a bad idea. I tried with a bench vice (in fact, that's how I grooved my dad's mower, my first groove), but it required some acrobatics, especially since I didn't have the vice at that point.
all I need now is one of those magnifying glasses with LED lights that clamp to a desk/table and I'll be all set
Greg Kusiak
Most Active Member
Audiophile
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kenneth Smith, Andrew Leyva

Your Groovy tool setup 05 Jun 2019 01:46 #3

• Preston
  • Adventurer
  • Adventurer
  • Thank you received: 19
Well i've only completed 2 grooves, so i would not take much grooving advice from me but here's my setup.

I use a Rotozip RZ1 with a flex shaft. (5amp/600W/0.8 HP)
Pros: Flex shaft, Massibe Power to cut or grind anything.
Cons: Single Speed spins at 30,000 RPM which is about 2X what Ron just told us we should be spinning at to extend our bit life,

Possible Mod: I may try an old sewing machine pedal to create a variable speed grinder. Not sure what effect this will have on the motor over time.

I hold TB in a vise so I can concentrate on proper angle of my bit. Not sure how Ron holds the TB in one hand and the grinder in the other and get good grooves. Lots and Lots of experience I guess :)

Other Grinder motors like the jewelers flex shaft type are about 1.7amps/204 watts/.27 Hp. Quite a bit less than my grinder. Obviously they are sufficient as this type is what Ron and Michael are using I believe.

Your Groovy tool setup 05 Jun 2019 06:39 #4

• Ron Hatton
  • Founder
  • Founder
  • Gadgetman
  • Thank you received: 490
I do believe that Tracy (the Old Man in the Mountain here so to speak) also uses the Panavice for his grooving. While I've never had enough interest to look into it, it works for him, so I guess that's cool.

My primary concern is applying Groove Tech as accurately as possible. As the standard procedure requires as many as 25 cuts from different directions, with the majority being applied on a graduated angle, I find it much more accurate to use my hands.

Since I've always done it this way, I'll just keep doing it this way.

I would like to request those of you using other tools take close-up photos of your Grooves, citing the tool being used so I can lay eyes on the finished product. Then I can evaluate them for several things at once.

So, how 'bout it, guys? Ready for the professor to grade your work?

Ron
Ron Hatton
Developer of The Gadgetman Groove
and Snake Oil-https://SnakeOil.wtf/?wpam_id=1

Your Groovy tool setup 05 Jun 2019 06:45 #5

• Ron Hatton
  • Founder
  • Founder
  • Gadgetman
  • Thank you received: 490

Preston wrote: Well i've only completed 2 grooves, so i would not take much grooving advice from me but here's my setup.

I use a Rotozip RZ1 with a flex shaft. (5amp/600W/0.8 HP)
Pros: Flex shaft, Massibe Power to cut or grind anything.
Cons: Single Speed spins at 30,000 RPM which is about 2X what Ron just told us we should be spinning at to extend our bit life,

It is at this point I would like to point out that throttle bodies are manufactured by MANY different companies, and are made of MANY different grades (or densities) of metal, it behooves the tech to have a tool that is more versatile. With softer metals, a higher RPM may be used while the denser metals require a bit more patience. Not only because the metal should be cut gradually, but as the bit enters the metal, when at higher speeds if the bit binds, the cutting tip stands a MUCH higher chance of shearing off.

Bear this in mind, for when your bit is no longer a bit, the job stops-finished or not.
Ron Hatton
Developer of The Gadgetman Groove
and Snake Oil-https://SnakeOil.wtf/?wpam_id=1
The following user(s) said Thank You: Michael Lee, Preston

Your Groovy tool setup 07 Jun 2019 11:20 #6

• Michael Lee
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • I'm a believer & leader through Jesus Christ, Husband & Father
  • Thank you received: 270
My flex shaft grinder made by "SE" model 979FSG from amazon was under $80 and has worked well for 2 years.
Up to 22,000 rpm controlled by foot pedal.
Tomorrow when i groove a 2013 Denali, ill be trying out my idea of using a flexible booklight clipped to the throttle body shining down on the groove cutting area!
Michael Lee
(USER BLOCKED FOR ETHICS VIOLATIONS)

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

The following user(s) said Thank You: CLAUDIO CORDOVA, Preston

Your Groovy tool setup 11 Jun 2019 02:11 #7

• Preston
  • Adventurer
  • Adventurer
  • Thank you received: 19
Michael that is a great price on that grinder tool, Under $70 shipped right now. Thanks.

Just out of curiosity, i checked Harbor freight to see if they had a variable speed pedal that I could use with my Rotozip flex shaft grinder. I could not find a variable speed version there, but I did fined a Foredom style flex shaft grinder pretty close to what you have been using. Price is $50. BUT if you use a 20% off coupon your looking at about $40. Reviews are mixed on this, but for $40 . . . .

FYI-HarborFreight.com part number 40432

Here is the link to Michael's Grinder

The Cadillac of flex shafts appears to be what Ron uses. The Foredom Flexible Shaft Tools | Foredom Electric Company For $300-400 you can own one.

Hopefully this can help someone in their search-
The following user(s) said Thank You: Michael Lee

• Page: