Username: Password:
Over the Road applications

TOPIC: Dodge Ram 1500, 5.7L V8, Mod.2015

Dodge Ram 1500, 5.7L V8, Mod.2015 18 Jan 2019 08:22 #13

• Kim
  • Adventurer
  • Adventurer
  • Thank you received: 30
Good news, Bad news. Just completed my first real groove and cleared the memory.:woohoo:
PCV valve in and outlets not touched yet.
Good news: :)
+ I just grooved on the TB from my RAM 1500 5.7L V8 mod.2015
+ No cut through :) :)
+ No gas exhaust smell
+ First run 50% less consumption at cold start.
+ Power feels like double.
+ RPM steady and a bit less than before after warming-up
Bad news: B)
- Motor runs uneven like this type of over-tuned cars
- TB error code comes and goes frequently
- Eventually RPM will raise to 3000 RPM and stays there.
? Any hints?
Thanks Kim :cheer:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Kim.

Dodge Ram 1500, 5.7L V8, Mod.2015 18 Jan 2019 10:01 #14

• Ron Hatton
  • Founder
  • Founder
  • Gadgetman
  • Thank you received: 490
Kim,

You mentioned you hadn't done the PCV yet. Why? I mean, all instructions include that it MUST be done at the moment of applying The Groove.

This system (to repeat the manual and all dissertations on the subject) tells you this will allow VASTLY more air into the system.

Yet you act surprised there's a DTC.

Go back and read the manual. Where it uses the term "MUST", then that is exactly what it means.
Ron Hatton
Developer of The Gadgetman Groove
and Snake Oil-https://SnakeOil.wtf/?wpam_id=1

Dodge Ram 1500, 5.7L V8, Mod.2015 18 Jan 2019 10:57 #15

• Tracy Gallaway
  • Founder
  • Founder
  • Thank you received: 564
Hi Kim. Did you get pics of your Groove job on this Dodge? I assume you put a business card or similar to put the plate slightly open at the edge of the black stain. I'm a bit confused, if idle RPM is ok, not too high that implies that you did use the business card.

The 3000RPM- do you have the check engine light on along with that?

PCV- it should always be re-routed to stop the big vacuum leak, but you already mentioned issues with that.

One thing at a time. It sounds like a successful Groove job, but there's something else wrong. I hope you got pics of the throttle body so we can see your Groove, Kim. Can you scan any trouble codes?

You finally went for it. Let's sort out what's wrong.

Ron- Ever see an issue like this before w/ LPG setups??

Tracy G
Tracy Gallaway
Founder and Constant Aide to Gadgetman
Gadgetman Reno, NV
The following user(s) said Thank You: Michael Lee

Dodge Ram 1500, 5.7L V8, Mod.2015 18 Jan 2019 12:28 #16

• GregK
  • Friends of Gadgetman
  • Friends of Gadgetman
  • Thank you received: 652
If memory serves, Kim is in Austria...but I may be wrong: It has been a while. I'm thrilled he's finally been able to groove his truck!
for the rough Idle...yes, DO the PCV part of our suite of modifications, and then just take the vehicle for a decent-length drive, 50 km or more (now that you're seeing an increase in fuel economy, why not?)
Another simple thing that may help with the idle is to put in a new air filter and clean the MAF sensor.

As I understand these trucks, there are 2 separate ignition systems (that's why there are 16 plugs on an 8 cylinder engine) - one for the power stroke, and one that fires on the exhaust stroke to clean up any unburned fuel before it hits the Catalytic converters. I've seen people modify that so that both plugs fire on the power stroke - unsure if that's possible in this case, but it would be worth investigating: adjusting the spark events to align at the correct time for the power stroke might be the best way to smooth this rough idle out, especially now that you're making bigger sparks with an increased gap and are seeing a decrease in fuel consumption.

I keep coming back to this in multiple threads, but because we've changed the dynamics of how air and fuel flow through an engine with multiple sensors connected to a computer that largely dictates its operation, we can't discount tweaking the electronics as well, and in this case, I would encourage you to look at the sensors pertaining to engine timing (I've had surprising success tweaking the MAP signal my computer sees), and then we can look to the lambda for fuel delivery and how well fuel is burning.
Greg Kusiak
Most Active Member
Audiophile
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kim, Michael Lee

Last edit: by GregK.

Dodge Ram 1500, 5.7L V8, Mod.2015 19 Jan 2019 01:33 #17

• Kim
  • Adventurer
  • Adventurer
Dear All
Thanks for the comments!

Ignition coil: All 16 sparkplugs fires at he same time. This was changed by Doge as of 2013???
Error messages: No check engine light. Just TB error code and Park sense.
MAF sensor: No MAF sensor just an IAT as it looks like.
Sensors pertaining to engine timing : No clue how to do that. I am not directly a car guy.
Sparks: increased gap quite some time ago.
Yes I used a business card and watched to keep a thin mark where the idle supposed to be as done in the videos.

Capped of the PCV at the manifold below the TB now for the moment I left the other side at the PCV open for testing
We got freezing and windy -9 degrees C and I am doing everything outside since I do not have a garage or a compfy place to work in.

Engine runs now at 2000RPM smoothly
Sorry no pics. I have limited and unstable internet access. Last pic I send to Ron fail 5 times finally I was successful, (I think), but it cost me a quarter of my monthly contingent of internet MB. Before I was using the companies internet, (PSSSSSSSST don't tell anybody), was much easier and faster.

Regards,
freezing Kim

Dodge Ram 1500, 5.7L V8, Mod.2015 19 Jan 2019 21:48 #18

• Tracy Gallaway
  • Founder
  • Founder
  • Thank you received: 564
Kim, are you saying that it idles at 2000RPM? Or that it smooths out at 2000RPM?

So, you'e capped off the PCV vacuum source-GOOD

So basicilly is it OK to drive? If it is, then as and when you can, use the added power. Maybe, make your accelerations more aggressive, then otherwise go as usual. Give it some time for computer to adjust, and keep us posted, buddy.

BTW, I never asked before, but where you are in Austria, is it high elevation, in mountains, or...?

Tracy G
Tracy Gallaway
Founder and Constant Aide to Gadgetman
Gadgetman Reno, NV
The following user(s) said Thank You: Michael Lee, CLAUDIO CORDOVA

Dodge Ram 1500, 5.7L V8, Mod.2015 20 Jan 2019 18:34 #19

• Kim
  • Adventurer
  • Adventurer
quick note,Ian in the hospital.bloodpressure problems . my high 85 and sick like a drunk on a boat in high storm.
-Runs @2000RPM. not below.
-not so high elevated about 800m-900m above sealevel
I did a test drive. car failed after 5km. TB maintenance, check engine, parksense, brake, antiskid, and more. warning lights flashing allover and ding-donging like an airplain with failing engines short before crushing. I manage to drag the sissy truck back home in emergency mode. kim

Dodge Ram 1500, 5.7L V8, Mod.2015 21 Jan 2019 12:04 #20

• GregK
  • Friends of Gadgetman
  • Friends of Gadgetman
First, nevermind about the truck for now - get healthy first. without health, you've got nothing.

Next - don't panic about the 2000rpm idle and all the other stuff. It's quite possible that you've awoken your computer; now all you have to do is let it learn that this is the new normal.
all of those circuits probably have something in common, like they're all on the same wiring harness and a circuit is showing something outside the expected data, but that's to be expected with your modified vehicle.
Did you try a full re-learn? That's e a good place to start, especially if all you changed was the PCV routing.
If pulling the battery cables to reset the ECU doesn't result in a hot idle where you expect it to be, Then we need to dig somewhat deeper.
I'm optimistic this will solve your problems and return you to (or maybe even surpass) the improved fuel economy you had before this event.
Greg Kusiak
Most Active Member
Audiophile
The following user(s) said Thank You: Preston

Dodge Ram 1500, 5.7L V8, Mod.2015 22 Jan 2019 08:17 #21

• Ron Hatton
  • Founder
  • Founder
  • Gadgetman
  • Thank you received: 490

Kim wrote: quick note,Ian in the hospital.bloodpressure problems . my high 85 and sick like a drunk on a boat in high storm.
-Runs @2000RPM. not below. e
-not so high elevated about 800m-900m above sealevel
I did a test drive. car failed after 5km. TB maintenance, check engine, parksense, brake, antiskid, and more. warning lights flashing allover and ding-donging like an airplain with failing engines short before crushing. I manage to drag the sissy truck back home in emergency mode. kim

As Greg said, take care of yourself! As far as your ride goes, when this has happened to me in the past, it was due to getting some garbage in the pigtail! If you do too much at once, the ECU will sometimes throw out confusing codes also.

They just get confused, is all. Go through the conditioning process once again. Clear the ECU and start from scratch.

It'll be good!

I promise.

Ron
Ron Hatton
Developer of The Gadgetman Groove
and Snake Oil-https://SnakeOil.wtf/?wpam_id=1
The following user(s) said Thank You: GregK, Michael Lee

Dodge Ram 1500, 5.7L V8, Mod.2015 21 Feb 2019 08:32 #22

• Kim
  • Adventurer
  • Adventurer
Hello to All
I am back, still kicking :) but on recovery.
I did a little bit investigation the error messages.They have not been consistent. After few times of resetting and driving no change in the errors winding finally always up in emergency drive mode, hoping every time to make it back home. At least I was able to bring the car home each time by it self till now.
Finally patched up the groove with epoxy and polished it up a bit. The PCV-Valve inlet I left plugged for the moment. Still some errors popping up even with reset. After reconnecting the PCV Valve to originates, error codes and emergency drive mode gave-up after a few resets and driving. ( -Sorry for no pictures. I working on a way to find a suitable way to send images).
(Remarks: after all reset no error codes at start-up. Error codes popping up by increasing RPM a little for driving, and more error codes while driving within a few hundred feet)
If weather allows I will spend more time coming weekend.
Even with the frustrating results It is kind of fun and quite simple to remove the TB on this car and work on it.
I before I re-groove I think I should first find a solution for the PCV. Maybe if I just reduce the inside diameter of the tube instead of disconnecting it completely? See how far I can go with ou error codes.
Seems like this car is quite touchy and cranky.
Regards
Kim

Dodge Ram 1500, 5.7L V8, Mod.2015 21 Feb 2019 08:50 #23

• GregK
  • Friends of Gadgetman
  • Friends of Gadgetman

Kim wrote: (Remarks: after all reset no error codes at start-up. Error codes popping up by increasing RPM a little for driving, and more error codes while driving within a few hundred feet)
If weather allows I will spend more time coming weekend.
Even with the frustrating results It is kind of fun and quite simple to remove the TB on this car and work on it.
I before I re-groove I think I should first find a solution for the PCV. Maybe if I just reduce the inside diameter of the tube instead of disconnecting it completely?

Or, you might increase the diameter of the hoses/tubes. Those vapours need to move, remember, and when the system is connected to manifold vacuum, the engine helps them move. Now, you may need to "widen the road" for them to move under their own pressure; choking them off with a smaller diameter hose might make things worse. (I'm still not sure you've re-routed things correctly before applying the plug/cap, so please find a way to post pictures soon)
What we really need is a list of the codes the ECU gives you when going into emergency mode. I'm guessing the groove you have now isn't the cause of the issues, so don't go crazy with the epoxy just yet!
Greg Kusiak
Most Active Member
Audiophile

Dodge Ram 1500, 5.7L V8, Mod.2015 01 Mar 2019 12:03 #24

• Kim
  • Adventurer
  • Adventurer
Hi
Thanks for the tips, but I am confused again
Regarding the PCV/manifold connection: As I learned this is to be considered as a vacuum leak.
Plugging the manifold would close the leak. Reducing the diameter would reduce the airflow and reducing the leak somewhat. Wouldn't widening the diameter of the tube between the PVC and manifold input be counterproductive beside the given limitation of diameter at the connections.
I will try to post a picture the weekend.
Regards
Kim

OOOOh you mean the opend end at the PCV :)