TOPIC: 5.7 liter Vortec

5.7 liter Vortec 07 Feb 2020 08:50 #13

• Ron Hatton
  • Founder
  • Founder
  • Gadgetman
  • Thank you received: 462
Hello, Drew!
There are quite a few posts here about the benefits of eliminating the PCV valve, so I am at a loss as to why you would be reluctant to eliminate it!

Start here:
Ron Hatton
Developer of The Gadgetman Groove
Smile for a stranger today.
You will both be glad you did.
The following user(s) said Thank You: CLAUDIO CORDOVA

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

5.7 liter Vortec 07 Feb 2020 10:30 #14

• GregK
  • Friends of Gadgetman
  • Friends of Gadgetman
  • Thank you received: 573
Drew - just to clarify or focus the direction our fearless leader Ron pointed you in to do your own research, the P in PCV stands for positive; we modify that to be much more Passive, and variable as well, so that the ventilation happens most when it’s needed most, when all the vapours and gasses the system is meant to evacuate are at their highest level of production. To do that we swap one small valve for a much bigger (and much more reliable) one that you control, the throttle valve we put our Groove into.
Does that help?
Greg Kusiak
Most Active Member
Audiophile
The following user(s) said Thank You: CLAUDIO CORDOVA, drew

5.7 liter Vortec 12 Feb 2020 13:58 #15

• drew
  • Adventurer
  • Adventurer
  • Thank you received: 2
Greg,

The instructions with the TB from Ron says to remove/plug the PCV. Your post here on a Vortec 5.7 says to modify it. I was hoping to look at the instructions you mention to see if I'd like to do it instead of completely plugging the system.

5.7 liter Vortec 12 Feb 2020 16:44 #16

• GregK
  • Friends of Gadgetman
  • Friends of Gadgetman
To clarify: Ron’s instructions tell you to cap the vacuum source of the PCV system at the intake manifold.
The valve itself can remain in place in the rocker cover, and the hose that you disconnected from the intake manifold can get connected with a T-fitting to the breather hose.
When you think about this, and implement the mod this way, any vapours that wind up under either of the valve covers still can make their way into the intake for emissions purposes, but by removing that “outlet” from a continuous vacuum source (the intake manifold, which is under an 18-20” vacuum at idle), to a passive and variable one, ahead of the throttle body, allowing the engine to suck in what it needs when your right foot digs in on the “Go!” Pedal.
Does that make sense to you?
Greg Kusiak
Most Active Member
Audiophile

5.7 liter Vortec 16 Mar 2020 16:38 #17

• drew
  • Adventurer
  • Adventurer
Greg, makes sense but I'd love a diagram or actual size of these parts needed to make the work and effective without it looking like shotty work.

5.7 liter Vortec 16 Mar 2020 20:39 #18

• GregK
  • Friends of Gadgetman
  • Friends of Gadgetman
This is a good thread where it's discussed over 4 pages:
Ron's Stickied thread

Also, the "mega-thread" of my mod of my Daily Driver, where I show my process. I started replacing the plastic tubes with rubber hoses of the same ID, but I upgraded to double that after a while. (there's more stuff flowing through there than you think!)
Wendy
This is a fave of mine, because it's where my friendship with TracyG really kinda solidified - rather than being internet strangers, we became Brothers of the Bits.
Greg Kusiak
Most Active Member
Audiophile
The following user(s) said Thank You: Tracy Gallaway

Last edit: by GregK. Reason: links and links with pics/video

5.7 liter Vortec 20 Mar 2020 12:37 #19

• Tracy Gallaway
  • Founder
  • Founder
  • Thank you received: 491
Drew, like anything else, the important thing is to get to understand the How and Why of the PCV system operation. Then you can figure out the What to do with it.

The PCV system mod has been described to great detail in this Forum. There are good descriptions of it on the Internet. Go look on You Tube, or just Google "PCV system". Keep studying this simple system until you Get It.

I've talked PCV system and mods here to DEATH. But once again-by capping off the manifold vacuum "source" or "port" or "nipple"--or simply filing the PCV valve itself with JB weld--and then, moving the hose on the PCV valve to a new connection we create in the main air inlet duct BEFORE the throttle body... We then eliminate a huge manifold vacuum loss.

And the crankcase ventilation system still maintains function!

So please do study the PCV system. The light bulb will turn on for ya then!

Tracy G
Tracy Gallaway
Founder and Constant Aide to Gadgetman
Gadgetman Reno, NV

5.7 liter Vortec 20 Mar 2020 19:33 #20

• GregK
  • Friends of Gadgetman
  • Friends of Gadgetman
Yikes! I just got off the phone with a client of Ron's with an 05 Suburban trying to sort out his PCV system (lots of water in his crankcase) - it looks to me like both valve covers are under continuous vacuum...
Track those lines down for sure before you cap or plug or re-route anything!
Greg Kusiak
Most Active Member
Audiophile

5.7 liter Vortec 02 Jun 2020 10:19 #21

• drew
  • Adventurer
  • Adventurer
Greg, can you verify this isnt the case for this post, for 5.7 Vortec engines? I want to try this soon but am going to have to do alot of reading to find the appropriate hose sizes, etc to cap the breather but leave the valve. I also dont want it to be visible to anyone else and easily reversible because this truck is stock and the more stock it stays the higher the resale value. 1997 GMC Sierra with only 88k original miles.

5.7 liter Vortec 02 Jun 2020 11:04 #22

• GregK
  • Friends of Gadgetman
  • Friends of Gadgetman
Drew -
First, You'd have to look for a guy by the name of Steve Goosney on here - I was working with him on his suburban when I posted this - to confirm or refute. (this was 3 mo ago...can't remember what I had for breakfast today, never mind)
second - if you're concerned with getting the most money for selling that vehicle as stock, I don't understand why you're asking about mods for it?
Greg Kusiak
Most Active Member
Audiophile

Throttle Body Cleaner 01 Jul 2020 18:52 #23

• GeraldC
  • Adventurer
  • Adventurer
  • Thank you received: 25
Can someone tell me name of good throttle body cleaner ? I have tried WD 40 Cleaner but did not do good job.
Thank You
GeraldC

Last edit: by GeraldC.

5.7 liter Vortec 02 Jul 2020 18:23 #24

• GregK
  • Friends of Gadgetman
  • Friends of Gadgetman
Hello Gerald - I'm not sure your query is in the right place, but we'll go with it:
I like Seafoam spray, the aerosol can with the looong hose.
If your TB is dirty, think what the rest of your upper engine and intake are like. Once you've cleaned yours up, consider putting a water "injection" system on your vehicle. I have been experimenting with it lately, and have been getting not insignificant improvements in mileage, with the added benefit of steam cleaning my engine.
There's a drawing of how I did it here .
Greg Kusiak
Most Active Member
Audiophile

• Page: