Username: Password:
Over the Road applications

TOPIC: No Mileage Change? New Approach

No Mileage Change? New Approach 19 Nov 2019 08:39 #25

• GregK
  • Friends of Gadgetman
  • Friends of Gadgetman
  • Thank you received: 652
I see now that someone has blocked Simon here on the forum.
Dangerous precedent, this: if we simply block people from bringing their troubles with their vehicles here, what will newbies think about contributing to the body of knowledge?
We can't make it appear as if nothing bad happens in gadgetmanland, or that in some cases, the groove doesn't work or whatever. If both parties are unwilling to openly exchange information/techniques/knowledge/experience, the world AND the forum are worse for it.
Greg Kusiak
Most Active Member
Audiophile
The following user(s) said Thank You: CLAUDIO CORDOVA, Steve Goosney, William Maiden

Please Log in to join the conversation.

No Mileage Change? New Approach 24 Nov 2019 22:47 #26

• Steve Goosney
  • Adventurer
  • Adventurer
  • Thank you received: 8
Hello everyone! Tried the efie's on my 2005 suburban... it doesn't like them, keeps setting off the engine light... been emailing George from eagle research... going to add a relay as he suggests... haven't installed them in my 2000 astro yet, it being older might get better results, just haven't had the time yet. Will update when I do.
The following user(s) said Thank You: GregK

No Mileage Change? New Approach 26 Nov 2019 10:06 #27

• GregK
  • Friends of Gadgetman
  • Friends of Gadgetman
Steve, does your 'burb also have a MAP sensor? before digging in with the Relay mod, you may want to consider balancing the equation with a MAP "enhancer".
MAP has a direct effect on fuel delivery, which the o2 sensors audit/correct. you can lean with the EFIE, but if the computer doesn't also think it needs to deliver differently, you'll never have as much control as you'd like. I can lean my 07 Buick to the point of just barely running with the both of them in tandem - WITHOUT throwing a code - but it doesn't drive well like that.

I forget - have you grooved the 'burb? have you realized mileage gains? the EFIE/MAP mods can increase them slightly. (what was the voltage offset you applied with the EFIE, just for curiosity's sake?)
do you have an email addy in your profile I can contact you through directly? I have thoughts on the relay addition...perhaps you, George and I can discuss them privately?
Greg Kusiak
Most Active Member
Audiophile

No Mileage Change? New Approach 11 Dec 2019 00:59 #28

• Steve Goosney
  • Adventurer
  • Adventurer
Hi Greg, This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. is my email.

Yes to map sensor which is new and I know nothing about the enhancer.... and yes to the groove, Ron sent me one personally, gapped plugs to 90 thou, wrapped exhaust manifolds and replaced gaskets, plugged pcv, replaced intake gaskets, no intake leaks that I can find, seafoam in the intake, oil and gas, snake oil in the engine, and transmission, there is probably more but that's all that comes to mind. Zero mileage gains... at 18 L per 100 km, when I started all this two years or so ago I was at 17.8 L, all according to the onboard computer.... working it out long hand after each fill and it's around 20 L per 100 km.

Before efie's no engine lights.

With the two efie's, I set them at 400 on oct 7, 2019, being hopeful, the cheap analog meter I bought wouldn't work.... set off the engine light within two days, spent the last couple months reducing them down, tried zero and I don't think it set off the engine light, I waited 12 days..... George has been stronge and asking important questions... I'm now getting the code P2A04, o2 sensor circuit range performance, i originally was getting p1133 & p1153, which says sensors 1 & 2 are fixed not switching from lean to rich... just assumed I had to turn them down.... i guess I passed the issue and then that back sensor died.... George made me look the most recent one up, online description says bank 2, sensor 2 performance.... this after cat sensor doesn't have an efie attached... found this out just today so am confused.... I replaced all three sensors on nov 11, 2015 according to my log book...asap I will join the white and green wires back together, bypassing the efie's to see if light goes away, or if that third o2 sensor is actually bad..... will also recheck my work. That's the update on where I am now. Steve

Last edit: by Steve Goosney.

No Mileage Change? New Approach 11 Dec 2019 07:59 #29

• GregK
  • Friends of Gadgetman
  • Friends of Gadgetman
Steve - I'll try to email you this afternoon, and get that email discussion started with George about the relay addition, but in the short term, if the computer is telling you that there's a range problem with what the sensors are telling it, my first thing to do would be to dial the EFIEs back to zero (and possibly re-set the computer). Have you attached your multimeter to the green and white wires to see the signal the computer is reading? OXYGEN SENSORS: HOW TO DIAGNOSE & REPLACE may help you wrap your head around what's happening. (Hint: 400mV may be a tad high)

Do I need a MAP Enhancer? - Eagle-Research - this page was formatted in a way to read as a Q&A on the old Eagle website, so it may be confusing to others who haven't corresponded with George and gotten to know how he speaks/thinks; I hope it starts a conversation here. I have other links to post if you're going to go down the sensor hacking road rather than full blown computer replacement. just ask...I learned all this as I went along. too...

for a bit more to think on, look for a topic that Ron started on here about re-locating the MAP sensor. it made a difference for me; maybe you'll have the same experience

If I recall correctly, my MAP is in the 2kohm range and the EFIE is set at 275mV...I try not to focus too much on the numbers, because they change with the seasons/fuel formulations...and remember, GM uses a speed-density system for fuel delivery, and cold air in winter is dense so your computer will deliver more fuel.
Greg Kusiak
Most Active Member
Audiophile
The following user(s) said Thank You: CLAUDIO CORDOVA, Steve Goosney

No Mileage Change? New Approach 15 Mar 2020 13:25 #30

• Steve Goosney
  • Adventurer
  • Adventurer
Been working on my suburban, that back o2 sensor which had been installed in 2015 failed, replaced it and that code went away, Greg has been coaching me on this, so appreciate his input... first issue was an exhaust leak in the magnaflow Y pipe, had that welded up, then decided to add the map sensor mod with my efie's, I've done something wrong because it keeps throwing a p0101 code, took out my k&n air filter, realized it's part of the gas consumption problem.... realized the intake temp sensor was incorrect so replaced the mass airflow sensor, both are together in one unit.... then my wife had to take the burb on a twelve hour hiway trip, five hours into it the engine light came on, forgot to give her a code reader to shut it off.... but when she returned the dash info center indicated 14.9 L per 100 km, never seen that low ever before... by liters and km found this completely accurate. At Greg's request the info center was reset a few days before she left, it takes about a week to lock in an average..... so 14.9 was pretty much there. Things are starting to get better now, but we see I still have something wrong with the map connections, once that's figured out I'll update with the results. Definitely excited at what I'm seeing! Under 10 L per 100 km here we come!
The following user(s) said Thank You: GregK