TOPIC: 91 toyota corolla 4AF 1600 carb

91 toyota corolla 4AF 1600 carb 21 Feb 2020 10:59 #13

• GregK
  • Friends of Gadgetman
  • Friends of Gadgetman
  • Thank you received: 652
BMW already wants someone to hold their beer:

But us folks around here are Gadgeteers, just like this guy:

Plenty of ways to skin the proverbial cat. I'm partial to simple, bulletproof.
Greg Kusiak
Most Active Member
Audiophile
The following user(s) said Thank You: Tracy Gallaway, CLAUDIO CORDOVA

Please Log in to join the conversation.

91 toyota corolla 4AF 1600 carb 21 Feb 2020 11:23 #14

• GregK
  • Friends of Gadgetman
  • Friends of Gadgetman
Watch the vacuum gauge drop by more than an inch, for a deeper vacuum, in this one:

upstream of the throttle body, the water vapour displaces air from the intake tract, so the computer can compensate by closing the throttle angle at idle.
BUT, if you don't regulate the vapour input there, you run the risk of water condensing, maybe shorting out your MAF (if that's possible) and/or saturating your filter, which I'm sure you wouldn't want to perforate/tear.

It has been suggested to me to inject water vapour at the spot we cap: the manifold vac source to the PCV system. I suppose you could also T into the brake booster line, but I'm not sure about the safety implications there...

I'm not sure about carb'ed engines...maybe you'd want to trickle some water into the float bowl so vacuum can mix fuel and water right at the carb's jets? (ethanol in gasoline scavenges water from the fuel system as well as the air intake for a similar effect...just goes to show you don't need much for significant effect)
Greg Kusiak
Most Active Member
Audiophile
The following user(s) said Thank You: Tracy Gallaway, CLAUDIO CORDOVA

91 toyota corolla 4AF 1600 carb 26 Feb 2020 18:46 #15

• cj donaldson
  • Adventurer
  • Adventurer
  • Thank you received: 20
Hi, I did have an easy vacuum set up. I wired a ss bottle to the exhaust manifold and had a bubbler on the air inlet side. It worked great and helped to achieve some of the best mileage figures to date. But the problem was the capacity was to small and it was cumbersome to refill. So I have been trying to devise a way to achieve the same results with a remote tank. But as for plan water injection apparently a needle Is right delivery mechanism. And using the vacuum hole that is on the air foyer side of the tb is the way to go. Have the tank lower then needle to allow a syphon feed and not a gravity feed.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Tracy Gallaway

91 toyota corolla 4AF 1600 carb 26 Feb 2020 19:57 #16

• GregK
  • Friends of Gadgetman
  • Friends of Gadgetman
How much of a boost to your mileage did you see?

here's the BMW cyclone separator Tracy G was kind enough to gift me for my application on our PCV re-route that filled my catch bottle with copious amounts of water vapour:

the first pic

maybe something like that would be of use to you, CJ?

The top hose port is the return, the middle one is the supply port, the bottom was the drain.
It seems to me that it might even turn out to be a closed system: water vapour in blowby gets condensed and returned to your supply bottle, possibly via the inlet to the bubbler...

only one way to find out, I suppose... get at it!
Greg Kusiak
Most Active Member
Audiophile
The following user(s) said Thank You: CLAUDIO CORDOVA

91 toyota corolla 4AF 1600 carb 28 Feb 2020 21:35 #17

• cj donaldson
  • Adventurer
  • Adventurer
Prior to any other mods I had a flat run of 5.1 litres per hundred k. The car would normally sit at 9 ish litres so really good results. All the mods so far with out the water injection has the car sitting at 6-7 per hundred k
The following user(s) said Thank You: GregK

91 toyota corolla 4AF 1600 carb 29 Feb 2020 12:59 #18

• GregK
  • Friends of Gadgetman
  • Friends of Gadgetman
So Water Vapour Injection helped you achieve an almost doubling of your mileage (or halving of your consumption, however you choose to look at it), along with the groove and other mods? it really IS a combination of All the small things!
Greg Kusiak
Most Active Member
Audiophile

91 toyota corolla 4AF 1600 carb 01 Mar 2020 22:50 #19

• Tracy Gallaway
  • Founder
  • Founder
  • Thank you received: 564
CJ and Greg, this discussion has rusty gears in my noggin' tryin' to turn...

CJ, did ya ever get any pics of your water vapor setup? Pretty interested in that idea here I tried a simple bubbler setup on Subie years ago, but had no success w/ it.

I'd really like to see that stainless bottle you mentioned. I also like the idea of using a vacuum port to inject water or water vapor. Could you expand your explanations of how you used water to get such great mileage gains? I guess I need more input to be able to try to emulate your success. Thanks for any more you can provide!

And Greg- I really appreciate all your recent inputs here in the Forum, it's guys like you who give me ability to imagine solutions.

And thanks also to Ron, who made all this possible!

Tracy G
Tracy Gallaway
Founder and Constant Aide to Gadgetman
Gadgetman Reno, NV
The following user(s) said Thank You: GregK

91 toyota corolla 4AF 1600 carb 02 Mar 2020 02:35 #20

• cj donaldson
  • Adventurer
  • Adventurer
Yea on a reasonably flat run open road. Driving as lightly as possible with no other mods. I could feel more torque up hills. It was a steam injection real because the water in the bottle was at a fast boil.

91 toyota corolla 4AF 1600 carb 02 Mar 2020 02:42 #21

• cj donaldson
  • Adventurer
  • Adventurer
Hi Tracy thanks for your interest, as mentioned earlier this was a less then ideal system but a successful concept. Basically to reiterate I wired the bottle on the exhaust manifold and had a bubbler in the bottle that work via the vacuum pulling through it. I had the pipe going in to the old pcv inlet. Which was causing a little hesitation after idle. Since found that the distributor vacuum line will work better. But the limiting factor was the fact the bottle only held enough water for a hundred k so there needs to be some things ironed out. I do believe steam injection holds lots of promise for lowering emissions and increasing fuel efficiency. Please bear in mind that this car has a good old fashioned carburettor and not a computer to limit success

91 toyota corolla 4AF 1600 carb 03 Mar 2020 11:00 #22

• GregK
  • Friends of Gadgetman
  • Friends of Gadgetman

cj donaldson wrote: Yea on a reasonably flat run open road. Driving as lightly as possible with no other mods. I could feel more torque up hills. It was a steam injection real because the water in the bottle was at a fast boil.

the fast boil was the combination of exhaust heat plus vacuum - I bet you got the water to boil at 50 degrees C or lower, half of what it normally does -which is why your reservoir bottle only lasted 100km.

regulate the vacuum and reduce the heat and you'll really have something!

because exhaust keeps adding heat, you'd have to keep adding water...I'm serious about using a BMW cyclone separator on the PCV system as water reclamation to make the reservoir bottle a closed-loop system.

BUT - remove heat from the equation and all you have to do is regulate vacuum. Like in that simple video I posted a few posts back, in contrast to the complex BMW system. (post #12)

George Wiseman has suggested a water injection system to me on mine, prior to getting one of his HHO machines - he even pointed to the port on my intake that he would use. I have the stuff, but I've never made the time to implement a simple system. I'm also rather concerned with the possibility of sucking liquid water into my intake, but there are ways around that I'm sure.
Greg Kusiak
Most Active Member
Audiophile
The following user(s) said Thank You: cj donaldson

91 toyota corolla 4AF 1600 carb 04 Mar 2020 02:53 #23

• cj donaldson
  • Adventurer
  • Adventurer
Thanks that some great info

91 toyota corolla 4AF 1600 carb 04 Mar 2020 09:34 #24

• GregK
  • Friends of Gadgetman
  • Friends of Gadgetman
you're welcome.
Now take it a step farther: do you really want to block/defeat the EGR system, considering it recycles water vapour etc in exhaust back into the intake?
Sure, it's a factory programmed and implemented vacuum leak, but it's variable and brings good things, things that are beneficial to combustion/mileage/efficiency, back into the engine.
Water vapour injection is a backup to the EGR system, in other words: when EGR is open (and manifold vacuum isn't as deep), that's the source for water in the intake; when it's closed, manifold vacuum pulls water in from a cold bubbler. I'd bet that somewhere in the groove zone of throttle angle, both could be contributing.
Greg Kusiak
Most Active Member
Audiophile