Over the Road applications

TOPIC: Mini update

Mini update 09 Jan 2021 16:56 #49

• Vernon
  • Adventurer
  • Adventurer
  • Thank you received: 15
Michael Lee grooved it. I honestly am not sure it can be done in a way to work on this one. But I am on the fence as to wether or not I keep the car right now

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Mini update 11 Jan 2021 13:58 #50

• GregK
  • Friends of Gadgetman
  • Friends of Gadgetman
  • Thank you received: 599
Well. it looks right...and pretty, too.
It could be that this car is the first tactory (right?) turbo'd engine with a groove on the TB.
I think that means we especially want to see a success here.
By my understanding of turbos, they use exhaust gas flow to push extra air into an engine above a certain RPM. The groove on the TB would work up to the point of the turbo kicking in - so, to get the fuel efficiency benefits of the groove, you need to keep your foot OUT of the turbo range more often than not. HOWEVER - what may not have been attempted is placing a groove at the outlet of the turbo/intercooler into the manifold.
how many inches of boost does the turbo create? pressurized air hitting a groove should make for a fairly significant vortex waveform in the manifold...
IF I'm right, you could get the benefits throughout the rev range of the car
Greg Kusiak
Most Active Member
Audiophile

Mini update 12 Jan 2021 18:52 #51

• Vernon
  • Adventurer
  • Adventurer
  • Thank you received: 15
Yeah not sure. I don’t think the turbo would make any significant affect on the groove when its not boosting. Definitely could under boost though. This turbo is turned up to 15psi.

Mini update 12 Jan 2021 21:32 #52

• GregK
  • Friends of Gadgetman
  • Friends of Gadgetman
  • Thank you received: 599
ok, here's where I'd need clarification - does the turbo dump it's output upstream of the TB? I was suggesting a 2nd groove at the place the boost air enters the manifold
the groove should help you get up into boost territory faster the way it is now, but once you hit that point where it spins up and kicks in, it would be all air, fuel and spark.
Greg Kusiak
Most Active Member
Audiophile