Over the Road applications
  • Page:

TOPIC: Grooved '89 Chevy 305 TBI

Grooved '89 Chevy 305 TBI 07 May 2021 02:29 #1

• Tracy Gallaway
  • Founder
  • Founder
  • Thank you received: 564
Here's a few pics, of my latest Groove job. This, on a 1989 Chevy van 305 V8 auto trans, TBI throttle body. This is for Sam King, who, also bought his Personal License Kit recently.
Welcome to Gadgetman Land, Sam!!:cheer:

I did the standard epoxy fill work. First, lightly roughen all aluminum metal the eoxy will touch. Then adding "forms" that won't stick to epoxy, to hold the epoxy in place. Mylar tobacco pouch plastic, and thin cardboard wrapped in clear box tape made the forms. Filling in the idle air channel up to, and including the center divider between the bores.
This adds missing material to be able to cut full width Grooves, and allows a restriction to Idle Air Control (IAC) air flow. The T-shaped channel cut into the center epoxy puts that air over the throttle shaft, and away from interfering w/ the Groove's waveform. It might be necessary, Sam, to adjust the throttle stop screw to change idle RPM's.

I used a palm sander to make quick work of leveling the over-filled JBQuick.. Then cut the IAC channel in the epoxy with a small burr bit. A 1/8" drill bit in the Dremel would have worked, too. The Grooves were done w/ a Large bit. No danger of bit breakthrough anywhere.

This used TBI arrived from a salvage yard in amazingly good condition, as if it had maybe 30 or 40K miles on it, it cleaned up in a few minutes w/ carb. cleaner. The IAC valve was removed and cleaned separately, then reinstalled.

I thought this TBI turned out really well. I will ask Sam King to give reports on results, including fuel economy..

Tracy G.
Tracy Gallaway
Founder and Constant Aide to Gadgetman
Gadgetman Reno, NV

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

The following user(s) said Thank You: GregK, CLAUDIO CORDOVA

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Tracy Gallaway. Reason: pics

Grooved '89 Chevy 305 TBI 07 May 2021 11:26 #2

• GregK
  • Friends of Gadgetman
  • Friends of Gadgetman
  • Thank you received: 652
If you're a Star Wars fan at all and have seen The Mandolorian, you'll know what I mean when I say This Is The Way.

That has to be one of the prettiest IAC channel re-routes I've EVER seen here, Tracy.
I hope Sam (Welcome!!) keeps us posted on his results with this vehicle...and somebody should let Jimmy of the 1Road channel on YouTube in on the secret we have with these TBIs - one of the vehicles he works on is a Suburban with a TBI that he rebuilt.
Greg Kusiak
Most Active Member
Audiophile
The following user(s) said Thank You: Tracy Gallaway

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Grooved '89 Chevy 305 TBI 07 May 2021 20:03 #3

• CLAUDIO CORDOVA
  • Personal License Holder
  • Personal License Holder
  • Thank you received: 127
Very nice and clean work!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Tracy Gallaway