Welcome, Guest
Username: Password:
ALL Carbureted Vehicles are discussed here!
  • Page:

TOPIC: Grooved 1985 Subaru GL Wagon EA82 Calif. Weber DGEV

Grooved 1985 Subaru GL Wagon EA82 Calif. Weber DGEV 26 Dec 2013 17:56 #1

• Tracy Gallaway
  • Founder
  • Founder
  • Thank you received: 564
:woohoo:

YaHoo! My '85 Subaru, the Subie wagon, is finally Effectively GROOVED!

Used med. bit, kept bit shaft taper parallel to primary bore wall. Dremel medium speed, cut in short chop cuts till shaft reached bore wall, then moved to right and repeated to end of cut. Cooled bit w/ used power steer. fluid. Put Q-tip pieces in vacuum ports in carb base throttle body to keep alum. shavings out.

I used to bemoan fact that this Subie had the hitachi feedback carb (which I Grooved spring of 2011 see post "Subaru w/ thin iron throttle body" in Index.) The Groove did help that carb's performance, but this Grooved Weber is miles away in performance! Wished I had fuel injection.

Not now.

The Groove in this Weber was my Christmas present to myself. Driveability/power is noticeably stronger, esp. a bit past idle, right where it does lots of good. Too soon to speak of MPG, the exhaust still needs cleaner, think my cat's are nearly gone. Snow tires one size larger than stock mounted now, gonna leave 'em on for winter- so MPG/range tests sorta pointless now. Winter conditions hurt mileage anyhow. But the Power..........yeah! oh Yeah...

That's what has always lacked in this car, but she's Grooved now. Mucho more gooderest! :P ;) :lol:

Pics: not the best my camera sucks. I highlighted around Groove w/ sharpie to help stand out.

Tracy G
Tracy Gallaway
Founder and Constant Aide to Gadgetman
Gadgetman Reno, NV

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Grooved 1985 Subaru GL Wagon EA82 Calif. Weber DGEV 29 Dec 2013 21:40 #2

• TacomaKarl
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Hi Tracy,

You might want to try the idle air adjustment.

tach and vacuum gage

bring it up to about 850rpm and adjust the idle air
close it down and bring it back up to max vacuum

Should improve the exhaust a bunch.

Did that on my Chev 454 engine... big time difference.

Karl Fortner
Tacoma, Washington

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Page: