Welcome, Guest
Username: Password:
ALL Carbureted Vehicles are discussed here!
  • Page:

TOPIC: All-time MPG Record!

All-time MPG Record! 17 Jul 2014 04:25 #1

• Tracy Gallaway
  • Founder
  • Founder
  • Thank you received: 564
Tonight I want to thank Ron Hatton for teaching me the Gadgetman Groove and opening a door to an almost un-attainable world. Kudos also to Dan Merrick for the MPG Remedy aspirin/Ethanol/hydrogen Peroxide "trick" And to Mike Hollar, who in the past shared some other valuable info w/ me.

for tonight my '85 Subaru GL wagon, w/the EA82 carbureted engine (Grooved Weber DGEV) using the infamous MPG Remedy in mid-grade 7-11 gas, AND tires rated for 51 lbs. filled to 54...

Tested at just under 72 MPG...

This is Legit. Done on my 50-mile "test track" between Fernley and Fallon NV, the road is mostly straight w/ just one slight hill. No wind, very little traffic. Speed between 60~55 mph, being 60 except for 7-8 miles total of 55 speed zone. Steady throttle. All done like this, called the Orange Test- so the CAR is being tested,"Oranges to Oranges not Apples to Oranges" NOT the driving conditions, traffic, distractions,weather, etc. etc. I've done this test w/ this car this way on this 50-mile run about 10 times before.

Now this isn't "real-world" driving, it's rare to get conditions like this. And I will try to repeat this test again soon for better validation. I didn't believe my eyes at first, I used the station cashier's calculator 3 times, and re-confirmed here on my own calc.

After running the #'s a second time, I let out a Whoop!
But watching the gas guage on trip back to Reno after the refill in Fernley at same pump, it behaved the same way. This little Subie has never run so good as this!
The Gadgetman Groove, the MPG Remedy, and other little "tricks"--
this stuff works!.....

so if you've been lurking, wondering, doubting...
if I can do this, so can You.

Tracy G
Tracy Gallaway
Founder and Constant Aide to Gadgetman
Gadgetman Reno, NV

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

All-time MPG Record! 18 Jul 2014 06:17 #2

• Karl411
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Wow Tracy,

Been reading lots of posts on other boards about people getting that kind of mileage now and then but to have one that I know do the same thing, amazing. Next would be to figure out how to run your mule on those 7-11 slurpees. ;)
There is hope for others out there even though they dont have a carb like you, though it would be a help not having a controlled chipped car.
Makes me want to go out looking for a Subie. :evil: NOT!!! :P
That jungle you have under your hood would scare off any mechanic so how much more someone like me. :ohmy:
Scratching my melon(where did that phrase come from?) on how it all of a sudden decides to play ball with MPG after the aspirin, and to improve even more the weeks following the headache drink. Its not like the chip you dont have is readjusting.
Well with all the work and cash you put into that beast, you deserve it.
Hopefully you can now get a return on all that moolah you invested in that mule. :evil:

Last edit: by Karl411.

All-time MPG Record! 18 Jul 2014 18:25 #3

• Tracy Gallaway
  • Founder
  • Founder
Thanks Karl.

I realized 2 nights ago that conditions were ripe for another Orange Test, and I'm off wed-thurs. I was hoping to see maybe mid to high 50's in MPG. Never dreamed it could do so well! :woohoo: Thinking it over it seems a few factors all came together.

The MPG Remedy gives smoother running, and power has increased at lower throttle settings. By being able to use less throttle angle vacuum stregnthens, and the throttle spends more time closer to the Groove.

The serendipity of being able to run tires at 54 lbs, has dramatically cut rolling resistance. So the car has more torque at less throttle than before, AND it gets up to speed so much easier. My test route is an ideal one to exploit these factors and it had ideal conditions. Only negative was having to run headlights (alternator load). Once up to 60 mph, I had to concentrate on the throttle, as it only took tiny inputs to get a response (no cruise control).

It's like the car has had a personality reversal..I mean this is GREAT stuff. It's like the car spent months at the gym lifting weights. It just doesn't have to work as hard anymore.

Actually there is less clutter in the engine bay then w/ the stock hitachi feedback carb. Wayy less vacuum hoses/gizmo's. There IS more wiring, true that. The Plasma Ignition stuff does look strange, but it works!

To me the combo of the Gadgetman Groove, MPG Remedy, and max. tire press is a winner. I haven't done any carb. tuning/jetting in months it seems about right now. Only real change was increase in tire press, I have had MPG Remedy in the tank 3-4 times now. I recommend others try it. I hope others take heed and give this combo a whirl, would be great to see others' results ;)

Tracy G
Tracy Gallaway
Gadgetman Reno, NV

Last edit: by Tracy Gallaway. Reason: typo

All-time MPG Record! 18 Jul 2014 23:25 #4

• Karl411
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
To me its a mystery. I know the tire pressure did not do it and the groove you had for a while so the only thing that makes sense is the MPG combined with the groove. I have my tires around 40 most of the time when it calls for 32 so by the gauge I hear about tires, its 1 mpg gain for every 3 pounds over. That wont give you the engine response so how the MPG just started to do wonders has to do with chemistry to make the gas burn like it should. Why you are getting the gains with throttle and MPG while others barely notice a difference if at all is a mystery. And to top it off it didnt click in right away. It improved over time if I heard you right.
I am now on my 10th tank or so with the MPG and I see no difference.

Seems like the ECU is the culprit but am asked mechanic if I can borrow his OBDII to get fuel trim readings. Will see this week if he will be accommodating.

All-time MPG Record! 19 Jul 2014 08:52 #5

• Ken Bittle
  • Adventurer
  • Adventurer
  • Thank you received: 61
Congrats!

This is great news, keep up the great posts about success with combined tech. Awesome.

Ken

All-time MPG Record! 19 Jul 2014 19:32 #6

• Tracy Gallaway
  • Founder
  • Founder
Thanks Ken!

I'm still pretty amazed at this myself. I can only recommend others try the combo of the Groove, MPG Remedy and boosted tire press. To me there's 2 sides to gains in efficiency--increasing engine output and cutting losses from whatever source. Eliminating/reducing a parasitic loss equals a gain.

Conventional "hot-rod think" is all about increasing power. But thinking of racers, they trim weight and do aerodynamic mods too. A look at Formula One cars or even NASCAR cars will give clues of the aero. mods. Remember the Ford Talladega, Plymouth Superbird, Dodge Daytona, and others of yesteryear AND today? Sanctioned class racers come up w/ all kinda tricks, some work so well they are regulated or outlawed! My aero mod "trick" is the Airtabs on the rear and top of the body of the Subie.

IF you are a Gadgetman, then it's pretty easy to try. The Groove is our "Secret Weapon". Do it, then think of the whole vehicle, where are there losses to reduce? Then think of how you drive it. To get substantial gains in fuel economy, you must think outside the box.

I use the Lucas fuel treat. at the recommended dosage along w/ MPG R. Tire press.- well it should get checked anyway, right? Check cold tires, then set to recommended press. rating on the sidewall. Use common sense. If it drives safe and OK, then try adding a bit more air, use a decent guage. If tires are worn or out of balance, if the steering and suspension are worn, well we know what to do, right? The basics need dealt with first.

OK that's enuf yammerin' outa me :pinch:

Tracy G
Tracy Gallaway
Gadgetman Reno, NV

All-time MPG Record! 23 Jul 2014 02:26 #7

• Isaiah
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
How much of the ingredients do you put in annd is it always with a fill up?

Isaiah

All-time MPG Record! 23 Jul 2014 04:09 #8

• GeraldC
  • Adventurer
  • Adventurer
  • Thank you received: 31
Congrats Tracy G

Yes Isaiah add my aspirin at fillup usually 26 to 30 gal
wife be mad if she runs out of gas hehehe
geraldc

All-time MPG Record! 23 Jul 2014 13:00 #9

• Tracy Gallaway
  • Founder
  • Founder
I recommend reading in the Acetone thread first, that is where Dan Merrick first chimed in about his aspirin formula. After reading it thouroughly, and trying it myself, I created the MPG Remedy thread. I coined the MPG Remedy name as a sort of joke, as in- if you drink that alcohol, you are going to NEED that aspirin! It of course works as advertised to boost MPG's.

One of the things Ron Hatton taught me was to read and study the postings in this forum. The good info isn't always neatly presented "retail" style, you have to sometimes dig around, and read, read again, and think. I myself try to share useful info, but I'm not the best editor. As humans we want to get the best "whatever" as easy as possible, the "low hanging fruit". But often the best lookin' apple is on a high branch...

I always add the Remedy, and the Lucas upper cylinder lubricant fuel treat. at a fillup, both calculated for # of gallons total. I pre-mix the Remedy in a small Mason jar several days in advance, I like to shake it up to see the powder go in suspension, the settle out. Jar must seal tight or alcohol will evaporate past the lid. I and others have put pics/details in the MPG Remedy and Acetone thread.

In another program several yrs. back Mike Hollar taught classes for the HAFC/PICC technologies, centered around HHO. He gave us a bunch of "tricks" to use, one of then being tire press. Hey, we are in a type of War here, Improvise, Adapt, Overcome, right...?

Ron also taught that the Groove is a Process, not just one single thing. Mindset is Key to winning this war. Metaphorically, understand what the enemies to good fuel economy are and then master them. To win, we need to be combo of foot soldier, General, and Scientist in the war research labs. This Forum is a way to share what we have learned.

I'm one of those Geeks, who if you ask me the time, I want to show how to build a clock :pinch: :whistle: :S :lol:

Isaiah, thanks for joining w/ us! Please do tell us of what/ how you do whatever you try. And we LOVE pics!

Tracy G
Tracy Gallaway
Gadgetman Reno, NV

• Page: