Welcome, Guest
Username: Password:
ALL Carbureted Vehicles are discussed here!
  • Page:

TOPIC: All time MPG Record-Update

All time MPG Record-Update 23 Jul 2014 20:04 #1

• Tracy Gallaway
  • Founder
  • Founder
  • Thank you received: 564
OK, here is a brief update on the Subie and it's progress on it's current tank of gas.

This is the same tank of gas that was treated w/MPG Remedy and Lucas upper cyl. lubricant fuel treatment, w/ the tire press. increased from rated 51 lbs. to 54 lbs. Nothing touched at all, all mods incl. the Grooved Weber carb and all else same as has been for many months.

This is a shot I just took of the guage cluster, you can see the mileage on trip odometer and the gas guage. This tank was filled/treated at start of Orange test 1 week ago, then the tank re-filled back in Fernley at test end, the receipt pic is in the previous post. I estimate that maybe 1/4 to 1/3 of the tank has been burned. I will continue on w/ normal driving w/ this tank. The elapsed miles include the 50 mile test, the return trip to Reno, and a week of normal work commuting and just around town trips.

This is all subjective of course-- but this car has never done this well on economy or driveability before. IT remains to be seen how far this tank will last, stay tuned Groovers! ;)

Tracy G
Tracy Gallaway
Founder and Constant Aide to Gadgetman
Gadgetman Reno, NV

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

All time MPG Record-Update 03 Apr 2016 13:41 #2

• Martin Swart
  • Adventurer
  • Adventurer
  • Thank you received: 7
Tracy you never gave an update on how the subi did with that tank of fuel.

Can you still remember?

All time MPG Record-Update 03 Apr 2016 18:27 #3

• Tracy Gallaway
  • Founder
  • Founder
Gee, Martin, no I don't remember now. That was over a year and a half ago. The 72 MPG on that Orange Test really surprised me. Course, as I've said that was about Perfect conditions like you almost never see on the road. Besides an awesome MPG number, it served to highlight just how much driving style and road conditions can affect fuel economy. And, make no mistake, that 72 MPG number was actual, my tank fill technique was exact and repeated exactly, at the same station and pump. I borrowed the cashier's calculator, ran the numbers, then shook my head in disbelief. I repeated the calculation, and let out a whoop... :woohoo:

I wonder, if Lawnmowers are more consistent in their operation than cars, they just might be.

Tracy G
Tracy Gallaway
Gadgetman Reno, NV

All time MPG Record-Update 03 Apr 2016 22:53 #4

• Martin Swart
  • Adventurer
  • Adventurer
  • Thank you received: 7
Thank you Tracy

All time MPG Record-Update 08 Dec 2016 22:37 #5

• Tracy Gallaway
  • Founder
  • Founder
Ok I haven't posted anything on the Subie in quite a while.

Current state of things is: Same spark plugs from 3 1/2 years ago in the Plasma spark build. Nothing changed in Ignition at all.

Same Grooved Weber carb, same jetting that hasn't changed in at least a couple years. New fuel press. regulator and pressure gauge added last June. Fitch fuel catalyst added inline before the carb. last spring.

PCV is still re-routed, vacuum port is capped.

Tire press. needs checked, it has dropped from cold weather, have not added air in months.

Only thing changed since early Summer: Oil change to 10-30W semi synthetic for winter, 2 weeks ago.

Slight tweaks to carb. idle mix screw and idle speed screw 2 weeks ago at oil change. Idle mixture screw leaned out 1/2 turn, idle speed dropped to around 750 RPM. Tailpipe is cleaner smelling now.

that's IT.

Here's the thing: It's winter now, cold starts w/ choke/fast idle engaged 'till kicked down after startup. That hurts MPG a bit. Cold weather operation hurts MPG in general. The switch to winter blend gas usually hurts MPG. Tire pressure is still below optimum, that increases rolling resistance some. In other words- MPG should be going down, I know the fuel gauge in this car very well.

Instead- MPG looks to have gone UP substantially, and driveability is noticeably better too.
I put in just over 9 gallons of AM-PM mid-grade gas several days ago. I've driven 45 miles on this gas, a mix of freeway commute and 'round town driving.

I don't consider AM-PM brand gas to be the best.

All that said, my gas gauge has
Not. Moved. At ALL. :ohmy: :P :woohoo:

I hope I have not jinxed my good running Subie here! (there is a history with that!)

comments?

Tracy G
Tracy Gallaway
Gadgetman Reno, NV

All time MPG Record-Update 09 Dec 2016 21:00 #6

• Tracy Gallaway
  • Founder
  • Founder
Ok- I have a small update on the Subie. I now have 55 miles on the trip odometer, the gas gauge needle finally moved about a needle-width down. Still, far better than I usually see this time of year.

Tracy G
Tracy Gallaway
Gadgetman Reno, NV

• Page: