Welcome, Guest
Username: Password:
ALL Carbureted Vehicles are discussed here!
  • Page:

TOPIC: Groovy '75 Lincoln 460 W/Carter AFB 625 carb.

Groovy '75 Lincoln 460 W/Carter AFB 625 carb. 30 Jul 2015 12:11 #1

• Tracy Gallaway
  • Founder
  • Founder
  • Thank you received: 564
In Phoenix in Feb 2012 Ron Grooved this Carter AFB 625 cfm carb. for my buddy Vance. This AFB lives atop a Ford 460 in a huge 1975 Lincoln. I pulled the carb, Ron Grooved it in about 15 minutes, I cleaned it up and re-installed it. Vance says this blue boat got 12-13 MPG on the hiway pre-Groove, and it can now do 16-18 MPG at 65MPH on flat roads.

Vance is visiting here now in Reno, and mentioned the 460 had oil leaks at top rear of the engine. So I pulled the carb, drained the coolant, loosened all the intake man. bolts and nuts, cleaned and oiled them, and did a careful re-torque of the bolts/nuts. Snugged the valve covers too. AFB got a carb-spray shower in/out.

I was a brand-new Gadgetman at the time Ron did these Grooves, but today I can understand the details better. This photo-opp w/ Vance's AFB is an illustration of how the Groove doesn't need to be "perfect" to work! :lol: Notice these Grooves are "more than full-width!" and not perfectly even... B)

The intake man. bolts/nuts were all about half-tight when I pulled 'em. I looked up the torque specs and tightening sequence, and carefully re-torqued in 4 stages. Put it all back together w/ a new air filt. and breather filter. The PCV hose is re-routed to the air cleaner housing, PCV nipple on carb. front is capped. It's the stock iron intake manifold, w/ a Moroso 4 hole black plastic carb. spacer.

This Lincoln ran OK before- but now it starts first try, and has amazing throttle response! Table-flat idle quality, deeper exhaust tone, moist exhaust w/ NO pulses and cleaner smelling too. Almost can't tell it's running at stoplights. Improved off-idle torque. It's as if it had a major tuneup and carb. tweak! :woohoo: Obviously it had some minor intake man. vac leaks, now gone.

IMHO, the Carter AFB and Edelbrock Performer series are the best 4 barrel carb. Groove candidates. If you're gonna Groove one- take the time to re-torque those intake manifold bolts to the proper specs, it can make a HUGE difference! :lol: :P :evil:

Tracy G
Tracy Gallaway
Founder and Constant Aide to Gadgetman
Gadgetman Reno, NV

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Tracy Gallaway. Reason: pics

Groovy '75 Lincoln 460 W/Carter AFB 625 carb. 14 Aug 2015 23:16 #2

• Tracy Gallaway
  • Founder
  • Founder
  • Thank you received: 564
This big blue Lincoln is so darn big it should have it's own zip code. If it was any bigger- it would get it's own weather report. If you got 3 of these together, they could lobby for their own Congressional district!

Tracy G
Tracy Gallaway
Founder and Constant Aide to Gadgetman
Gadgetman Reno, NV

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Groovy '75 Lincoln 460 W/Carter AFB 625 carb. 15 Aug 2015 15:19 #3

• GregK
  • Friends of Gadgetman
  • Friends of Gadgetman
  • Thank you received: 652
You're here all week? Try the veal?
Greg Kusiak