Welcome, Guest
Username: Password:
Tell us your Diagnostic Secrets snd share with us your challenges!
  • Page:

TOPIC: Adjusting Idle, pre-groove

Adjusting Idle, pre-groove 23 Nov 2014 13:00 #1

• GregK
  • Friends of Gadgetman
  • Friends of Gadgetman
  • Thank you received: 652
Hello all-
In my pre-groove prep/benchmarking process, I've come across a different perspective I've not seen mentioned on here pertaining to TPS and idle settings.
My OBDii app on my phone has been telling me that my TPS at fully closed throttle is ~15% open, which would seem to match my engine idle being ~100RPM high.
Rather than replacing The Sensor, why not adjust the idle FOR the sensor, if you follow me?

The thread below lists the procedure for Ford Rangers (mine is the Mazda equivalent); I'm sure other vehicles are similar. adsm08 is a Ford Certified Technician

throttle stop screw | The Ranger Station
Greg Kusiak
Most Active Member
Audiophile

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Adjusting Idle, pre-groove 23 Nov 2014 17:02 #2

• Karl411
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Interesting.
Noticed that once I switched out my Mazda TB for a Ford Ranger of the same year, the TPS on my ScangaugeII says the plate is at 17 degrees when it was at 16 on my 2500. So thought it was the set screw and all I needed was to back it off a turn. Well I noticed the strike plate is not even touching the set screw so the throttle plate is closed at 17 and cant go lower.
Have a problem with high idle and it revs back and forth between 1200-1600rpms. Its not the IAC since this is the third one and the problem still exists.
Did a little research and came up with this.

High Engine Idle with Manual Transmission : Mazda B2500 Engine

Adjusting Idle, pre-groove 24 Nov 2014 07:54 #3

• GregK
  • Friends of Gadgetman
  • Friends of Gadgetman
  • Thank you received: 652
The link details a procedure to remap the ECU's programming based on the adjustment that I'm sure has an analog for your vehicle, Karl411.
I'm happy I followed it: my 14 yr old, 400k km truck is delivering better economy (and drivability) than the EPA estimates for that model year...pregroove and mods. I can only IMAGINE what's going to happen as I treat with RVS, solidify my charging/grounding system, replace my o2 sensors...
Greg Kusiak
Most Active Member
Audiophile

• Page: