Welcome, Guest
Username: Password:
Tell us your Diagnostic Secrets snd share with us your challenges!
  • Page:

TOPIC: Engine Scanner

Engine Scanner 16 Dec 2016 21:40 #1

• JR
  • Adventurer
  • Adventurer
  • Thank you received: 7
Reviewed and came threw some engine scanners. What I was looking for was a livetime fuel information wile on the road for my 2001 silverado 4.3L vortec engine. Like most newer vehicle's today that have it integrated in their dashboard.

Went with what I think was the best option. Don't know if some anyone here have or had use such tool?

So decided to try it out sine it also included engine Diagnostic fault codes.

By purchasing this product you need to download any optional apps for your smartphone or tablet. There's a free version and one required a fee. So went with the pro for as a better option tool.

Had my engine light on, so did a little test with it. And "Wow!" Indeed what a tool for under $25 dllr including the app purchase.

Here's a small video clip I took

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: by JR.

Engine Scanner 16 Dec 2016 22:01 #2

• Tracy Gallaway
  • Founder
  • Founder
  • Thank you received: 564
Hey Juan, that looks pretty good for 25 bucks! I don't have that one, I have a mid priced regular scantool. Mine, the Actron CP 9190 Elite scanner Pro, give lots of realtime datastream numbers, and accesses codes. But being kinda big, it's hard to use it while driving. I wanted to be able to see both datastreams and look at codes, mine does these.

No video got loaded. What codes did you find?

OK I just watched your youtube of the Torque Pro. that is a slick little tool to work with a Smartphone. Wow! I left a comment on the video. Now let's see if I can load it here.

Tracy G
Tracy Gallaway
Founder and Constant Aide to Gadgetman
Gadgetman Reno, NV
The following user(s) said Thank You: JR

Last edit: by Tracy Gallaway. Reason: Add video clip

Engine Scanner 16 Dec 2016 22:17 #3

• JR
  • Adventurer
  • Adventurer
Hey Tracy, I'm trying to see if I can manage to upload it to give an idea on how it works. This scanner, I believe it's only compatible with obd 2 port. That came thru with vehicles since 1996 and newer

OH and the codes I had was a PO code for the catalytic converter
Cats were removed before due to clogged cat converter resulted in a loss of power. :whistle:
So it may show again in about 2 week or so but at least won't have the engine light on for that same reason.

This scanner tool works sweet! Mostly all the info of your vehicle engine management at live data specs

Engine Scanner 16 Dec 2016 23:07 #4

• Tracy Gallaway
  • Founder
  • Founder
Yes I figured OBD II just by it's port shape. You say the scan tool is saying you have no cat. converter?

Tracy G
Tracy Gallaway
Gadgetman Reno, NV

Engine Scanner 18 Dec 2016 14:40 #5

• GregK
  • Friends of Gadgetman
  • Friends of Gadgetman
  • Thank you received: 652
Juan- you deleted the Catalytic converters completely from your exhaust rather than replacing the clogged ones? That happens: carbon builds up in and/or heat melts the platinum/titanium honeycomb preventing exhaust flow.

Neither of those should ever happen again with the groove on - so if you're seeing codes, get those cats and o2 sensors replaced!

Believe it or not, the catalytic converter does clean up whatever is left in the exhaust, even with a cleaner/leaner burn post-groove...plus, those codes will prevent a proper re-learn by the computer, so you'll never see the best efficiency (and possibly power) your vehicle is capable of getting post-groove.

Emissions are a tough thing to fool the computer on because o2 sensors have been developed and built to keep our air clean...In general, my thinking is that the system was so carefully designed and implemented for good reason, so don't mess with it. Make friends with it and use it to your (and everyone on Earth's) Groovy advantage instead!
Greg Kusiak
Most Active Member
Audiophile

Last edit: by GregK. Reason: formatting

Engine Scanner 20 Dec 2016 22:01 #6

• JR
  • Adventurer
  • Adventurer
Correct heysoundude
one cat went bad on me, deleted both so my vehicle wouldn't have the same problem again or have any unequal exhust flow. I've only had this vehicle over a year ago and had no signs of cats ever been replaced.

Many install an 02 sensor bung spacer past downstream/post-cat sensor to eliminate any codes. Maybe go threw a different route like shown in this video. Don't know, never tried it!
But I'll probably need to get new cats. Still with what I have learned here and being able to apply some of the mods. There is a grate improvements in performance and cleaner exhust.

(Question) Do all vehicles are balance for a fuel mixture of 14.7:1 ratio ? And can that number change when applying the groove and most mods done to our engines. How does the computers response to those changes done wile wanting to keeping that ratio?
just curious on how that fuel mixture or numeric equation works!

Engine Scanner 21 Dec 2016 05:37 #7

• GregK
  • Friends of Gadgetman
  • Friends of Gadgetman
  • Thank you received: 652
Awesome question! Tracy and I have been talking about that just recently, actually.
While I don't have any scientific basis to back up what I'm about to say, it makes sense to me:
14.7:1 air-fuel by mass as the "correct" stoichiometric ratio should be considered more a guideline than a law.
Why?
Because "air" by mass is roughly 78% Nitrogen, 21% Oxygen and 1% other gasses. 79% of air by mass doesnt get used in combustion. So, shouldn't that ratio that we've been using to design engines be changed so that we can look at what really matters, the correct ratio of oxidizer to fuel for zero emissions?
Shouldn't we be using Mass Oxygen Flow and Intake Oxygen Temperature Sensors to determine fuel delivery BEFORE combustion as a better match with the current Oxygen sensors AFTER combustion?
My point is: it's likely the system design is flawed based on an incorrect premise. The result of cars gaining mileage post Groove (and lowering emissions) is proof of that, because all the Groove does is on the intake side of things before combustion. The computer simply reacts by adjusting fuel delivery downward because of whatever it is the Groove does to the same amount of "air" being drawn into the engine. I think the Groove treats the air in a specific way to better mix air and fuel. I think the lower pressure air of the vortex waveform created by the Groove stretches air out so fuel can better fit in the right amounts and places for combustion.
what I do know is that we don't know enough about why the Groove works. The more we keep learning and doing and sharing, the better, and the closer we get to an answer that's correct and true.
Greg Kusiak
Most Active Member
Audiophile

Engine Scanner 21 Dec 2016 23:19 #8

• JR
  • Adventurer
  • Adventurer
I agree heysoundude

And for sure is! The groove ,as a waveform, createing fuel distribution well in the cumbustion chamber. I can think of it! As for example : with a portable lighter as a ignition to ignite (while releasing pressure from a starting fluid can, creating a flammable reaction) rather than igniting a charcoal lighter fluid." Of course one has pressure and the other dose not." But the way how the can fluid releasing a highly chemically reactive flame towards the atmosphere.

Engine Scanner 21 Dec 2016 23:56 #9

• Karl411
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Saw this video a few weeks ago in my search and was going to try it but was wondering why the guy just didnt slit the two white wires and insert the resistor into each line and seal back up.
Seems like exposing the lines and then soldering is messy and time consuming not to mention
difficult as he explained.
Maybe I'm missing something here. :unsure:

Engine Scanner 22 Dec 2016 01:00 #10

• JR
  • Adventurer
  • Adventurer
Yeah, seems to complicated. I may need new o2 sensors. Did you try the spacers for the o2's? Any codes came back on?

Engine Scanner 22 Dec 2016 01:03 #11

• Tracy Gallaway
  • Founder
  • Founder
Moving in the right direction here. One simple explanation i use is comparing to a slingshot. First the Groove holds some air back, then releases it. Vacuum intensification, then a pressure wave. Fuel evaporates better in increased vacuum, the wave is beneficial turbulence. There is another dimension and question.

I remember studying about carburetion, reading of wavefronts. The intake valve opens and a pulse generates in the intake tract. It moves down from around the throttle plate(s) to the intake valve. We're imagining this in slow-motion. The pulse or wave front goes down and strikes the back face of the intake valve, some goes past the opening valve rising off it's seat. Some reflects back off the valve backside and goes back UP the intake tract. Another pulse forms going back down, and so on. On High-performance racing engines w/ big cams and carb's, an effect called Reversion can happen. The pulses can generate a fuel vapor cloud just above the carburetor, called fuel Standoff. There's a picture of this effect in my old Holley Carburetors and Manifolds book.

These pulses or waveforms move at sonic or near-sonic speeds. If you've ever been under the hood on a running engine in park or neutral, and gunned the throttle suddenly, that BWAAAHH sound is those waveform pulses. Intake manifolds and cams are designed to work in given RPM bands, and manifolds use resonance (the Waveforms you hear) tuning in their designs.

what I'm saying here- is there isn't just ONE waveform pulse, but many in each cylinder intake stroke. That means, the Groove might get more than one crack at it in each Intake stroke. Or, I'm wrong here, and the air vortices continue building in the Groove until 90 deg. crank angle, then let go. This multiple waveform pulse thing has been in my head for years now. Do we get more than one Waveform out of the Groove in each intake stroke?

Kinda crazy trying to figure all this out. We KNOW it works, just not all of how.

On AFR, it's changing constantly. the ECU is trying to keep in a theoretical ideal range. Juan, Ron says, and it stands to reason, that the waveform pulse does (or Pulses do) help even out the mixture distribution in a combustion chamber, making for a more complete burn. Almost a weak supercharging effect, I think.

One last thought. The Nitrogen in the air, doesn't aid combustion, BUT- it and water vapor, get heated and are what are expanding in the combustion chamber. The expansion medium. Think of Nitrous. Nitrogen and Oxygen gas compound. Extra O2, with added fuel, burns more intensely, heating more Nitrogen. More pressure, more power.

Tracy G
Tracy Gallaway
Gadgetman Reno, NV
The following user(s) said Thank You: JR

Engine Scanner 22 Dec 2016 01:10 #12

• Karl411
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Tried spacers and they did nothing for me. Didnt have codes but was trying to get out of the stream where it was picking up too much oxygen.
If you decide to try them, make sure you get stainless and put anti seaze on them or else you are going to have trouble getting them off.
When I changed out my 02s for new(had well over 120k on them and should be changed around 70k), I noticed a difference in acceleration. More power but no change in mpg.

• Page: