Welcome, Guest
Username: Password:
Tell us your Diagnostic Secrets snd share with us your challenges!
  • Page:

TOPIC: Vac leak search thoughts

Vac leak search thoughts 05 Jan 2012 04:44 #1

• Scott Castleberg
  • Mechanical Coach SUPERSTAR
  • Mechanical Coach SUPERSTAR
  • Thank you received: 12
Hi All!

On the subject of finding vacuum leaks, traditionally we use hand vac pumps and that is good for many leaks, but what about the intake manifold and surronding areas as a whole? Spraying carb clean on a running engine might find gkst leaks, but how about using smoke, injected into the intake via a vac port, to diagnose the system as a whole?

I came across some videos on youtube last night using smoke to diagnose a variety of vacuum, exhaust, HVAC and related engine issues. A unit called The Smoke Wizard looked very impressive, but not cheap. Most smoke machines are around $800-$1000. To make one yourself is possible, but to use on a regular basis, safely, is the question. Look yourself on YouTube under The Smoke Wizard, and RealFixesRealFast - a very knowledgeable mechanic. I learned much just from a few videos and applied them today at the shop I work at.

Anyways, I was thinking in a vacuum and wanted to throw this out to see what "the family" might be thinking. Think in a vacuum - the groove needs it to be at its best!

Scott Castleberg
Pellston, MI
Scott Castleberg
Gadgetman Pellston MI

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re: Vac leak search thoughts 05 Jan 2012 05:37 #2

• dan
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Your right scott smoke does work thats how I figured out the flow on the 5.3 and 6.0 vac lines we talked about it proved it was acting as a ventura.

Re: Vac leak search thoughts 05 Jan 2012 06:23 #3

• TacomaKarl
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Nice find Scott, pretty interesting with the combination of smoke under pressure along with the UV chaser.

If the work load warrants the cost it would definitely be on the wish list, I can still see some situations where a vacuum test would still be frugal as internal pressure just might seal a leak tha would otherwise exist under a vacuum. hoses are funny that way.

Karl Fortner
Tacoma, Wa.

• Page: