Username: Password:
  • Page:

TOPIC: 2001 Chrysler PT Cruiser 2.5 L 4 Cyl USA

2001 Chrysler PT Cruiser 2.5 L 4 Cyl USA 09 Jun 2012 05:23 #1

• Tracy Gallaway
  • Founder
  • Founder
  • Thank you received: 564
Hi Gadgetfolks, TracyG in Reno here. On Wed. 6/6/12 I grooved a freind's '01 PT Cruiser. She is having a hard time $$ wise so I did this one for free...This was straightforward, cabled TB.. IAC dumps air downstream in intake, no interference at Groove. Used Medium bit w/ revised angle. Added JB Qwick in likely breakthru areas including some in IAC passage but no breakthru noted. Rough groove, this bit was used on my iron TB from my 85 Subaru carb so it's about done.
Sanded Groove edges and filed butterfly trailing edge w/ small ignition flat file. Usual computer relearn procedure including driving. Bought a Panavice--a great small multi-angle hobby vice made here in Reno Nevada. This vice makes all the difference for me; I bolted it to a piece of scrap steel channel to have a weighted yet movable vice so I can use both hands to control the Dremel flexshaft tool. It's a Panavice model 301, you can check 'em out at , cost me 50 bucks at the factory.

I tee'd the PCV hose into the fresh air breather hose and capped PCV manifold vac. port. Overall the job turned out well w/ a noticable power/driveability increase. I also did a "free" trick to this PT: her tires are rated 44 psi but were at 33 psi, I inflated to 46 psi. She has complained of bad MPG for years but hasn't really figured it out on paper, so no hard pre-Groove MPG data. I'm sure it WILL increase though!!;)

Scantool FTrims BEFORE, lowest, ST1 -3.1 LT1 9.4 ST11 -3.1 AFTER lowest, ST1 -5.6 LT1 7.0 ST11 -3.9 All Fuel Trim's and O2V were switching constantly. Ok, a couple Questions for those who may know: Ought I to have done a Large bit Groove on this one? Manifold to TB seal is an O-ring in manifold flange; would a cut to fit metal shim w/ small cutouts for IAC and the charcoal canister purge port be advised to boost Groove effect? Sorry to post such a LONG message, I aim to provide as much useful info as I can!B) Here are pics...Thanks all, TracyG Gadgetman Reno
Tracy Gallaway
Founder and Constant Aide to Gadgetman
Gadgetman Reno, NV

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Tracy Gallaway. Reason: punkshuashun, spellin

Re: 2001 Chrysler PT Cruiser 2.5 L 4 Cyl USA 15 Jun 2012 08:45 #2

• AronCheek
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Hey Tracy, those trims look great, I honestly don't think the larger bit would be much more of an effect.

If you did not notice a cut that made it through the throttle body I would quit there.

How many miles does this PT Cruiser have on it?

Great job!!! Keep us posted on mileage results.

Would it be possible to send pics to my email address?

I would like to see if they will show all of the picture because part of these are missing.

Anyway looks like another success for the Gadgetmangroove.

Keep up the great work!!!!!!!!!!!!

Aron Cheek GadgetmanNebraska

2001 Chrysler PT Cruiser 2.5 L 4 Cyl USA 21 May 2021 23:08 #3

• Tracy Gallaway
  • Founder
  • Founder
  • Thank you received: 564
And, she still has the PT Cruiser, 9 years later...
She doesn't drive very much today, maybe I'll take my scantool over and plug in, just to check the numbers...

Tracy G
Tracy Gallaway
Founder and Constant Aide to Gadgetman
Gadgetman Reno, NV

• Page: