• Page:

TOPIC: 2010 jeep JK 3.8 ltr fly by wire throttle body

2010 jeep JK 3.8 ltr fly by wire throttle body 28 Aug 2012 03:26 #1

• gmike
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
C:\fakepath\throttle.JPG[/ [attachment=521]groove.jpg
]

Just got my package from ron fast delivery (thanks) I also purchased a used throttle body same make and model 2010 jeep 3.8 ltr.I have a question, think I know the answer but like to be right the first time,

attached are several pictures to show my problem, My throttle plate has a cut off surface on the back side (engine side ) I assume that the grove should be cut on the extended line of of the plate not the cut off part.

From your excellent dvd the grove should be in the high presure area just after the idel cut off point. from the attached drawing the area "no mans land" is the area that does notget grooved but the natural line of the throttle plate shopuld get the groove

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: by gmike. Reason: can't spell

Re: 2010 jeep JK 3.8 ltr fly by wire throttle body 28 Aug 2012 06:44 #2

• Tracy Gallaway
  • Founder
  • Founder
  • Thank you received: 564
Hi gmike, is this TB like the GM Vortec's where butterfly is partly open w/engine/key off? Also does it lack an IAC valve, where computer just adjusts butterfly angle to match load requirements?

I'm unfamiliar with this pup.

Thanks, TracyG
Tracy Gallaway
Founder and Constant Aide to Gadgetman
Gadgetman Reno, NV

Re: 2010 jeep JK 3.8 ltr fly by wire throttle body 29 Aug 2012 02:34 #3

• gmike
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Thought I might be crazy glad to see other have some of the same problems. have been going back to old flow models and investigating the problem any idea would be very helpful Mike thanks for your input

Re: 2010 jeep JK 3.8 ltr fly by wire throttle body 29 Aug 2012 15:37 #4

• TacomaKarl
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Hi Mike,

Your "Pre"sumption is correct, I believe Ron has a video describing this feature on the throttle plate as we would apply it after the fact on a normal throttle plate.

Also, Tracy's questions refer to some good points to check into to help make this a success.

Welcome aboard

Karl Fortner
Tacoma, Washington

Re: 2010 jeep JK 3.8 ltr fly by wire throttle body 29 Aug 2012 16:27 #5

• Tracy Gallaway
  • Founder
  • Founder
Mike, great job w/ the drawings, if I tried that it would look like cave drawings! I think it could help if you could post some good pics of this TB. Karl is esp. good at figuring out this type of challenge. Again does this TB have the butterfly/throttle plate sit partly open when engine is off, or does it stay fully closed like cable driven older ones? How this baby behaves will affect strategy in Grooving it. Id take lots of pics from different angles, then post ones giving different view angles.

Also we need to find out how thick the casting is in area around the butterfly when it's in idle position to judge if a bit breakthrough is likely.

A scan tool needs connected to this vehicle to determine throttle position angle at idle and engine off, vital info to determine Groove placement.

If you can post this data we can all learn on this one as well as give you help!:)

TracyG Gadgetman Reno
Tracy Gallaway
Gadgetman Reno, NV

Re: 2010 jeep JK 3.8 ltr fly by wire throttle body 30 Aug 2012 01:31 #6

• gmike
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Thanks guys, I tryed to post picture. some how I failed. will try again.

This message has an attachment image.

Last edit: by gmike. Reason: wrong attachmen t

Re: 2010 jeep JK 3.8 ltr fly by wire throttle body 30 Aug 2012 05:31 #7

• TacomaKarl
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Looks like "The" TB for the 2010 Jeep Series, these are from a 3.7L V6 Jeep Liberty

All the pocket area's marked with the red arrows need to be filled, pay special attention to the area of the blue arrow... it is a tough spot to get the filler into.

Fill from one side to allow the bottom of the pockets to fill first.

This (hopefully) shows the line where the plate angle occurs on the bottom side.

The PCV line runs from the driver side back, where the PCV valve is, to the passenger side back at the intake manifold. I plugged it at that point.

The PCV line I ran to the other hose going to the air cleaner, used some extra tubing and a "T" coming off the air cleaner.

Had 21" of vacuum at that point.

I'll repost this as it's own but it seemed relavent to this post for now.

Karl Fortner
Tacoma, Washington

This message has attachments images.

Last edit: by TacomaKarl.

Re: 2010 jeep JK 3.8 ltr fly by wire throttle body 30 Aug 2012 08:31 #8

• Tracy Gallaway
  • Founder
  • Founder
Hi Karl! Ok I'm just along to learn and help if I can here.

So Karl, We see if these 2 TB's are identical, where to fill on top outside of body to guard against bit breakthrough, and it's plastic.

Do you know how these TB's behave, I.E.,do we need to use a scan tool to find how far open the butterfly is at idle. Can we just follow the line of the butterfly/plate, or should we put a business card under edge of plate opposite Groove side then block closed w/ putty like you show here.

Evidently many or most TB's from mid 2000's up are drive by wire, maybe I've missed something about strategy w/ these in general. Anyone know if most behave like GM Vortec's or is each one different?:blink:

If anyone has answers to these questions, I'm paying attention, and all can learn from this one!

Gmike, thanks for the pic! you too Karl!!:)

Tracyg Gadgetman Reno
Tracy Gallaway
Gadgetman Reno, NV

Re: 2010 jeep JK 3.8 ltr fly by wire throttle body 30 Aug 2012 13:53 #9

• dan
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Tracy, for best results always check throttle pos with scan gauge, if people dont have one card is next best thing.

Best results are when the groove is in the flow, but still works other areas just not to its peak mpg.

Re: 2010 jeep JK 3.8 ltr fly by wire throttle body 30 Aug 2012 15:42 #10

• TacomaKarl
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Hi Tracy,

Yep, operates just like the GM Vortec's, there is no IAC on these engines.

I usually check the throttle plate position on all engines, the cabled units still have the throttle position sensor to tell the ecu where it is

Funny thing is, that putty got kinda soft with that nice warm TB... still worked fine, just a little more difficult to remove.

IMPORTANT NOTE... these TB's are made of a plastic composite but are harder than one would expect, either way take your time with them.

Karl Fortner
Tacoma, Washington

• Page: