Welcome, Guest
Username: Password:
  • Page:

TOPIC: New to Gadgetman land

New to Gadgetman land 14 Sep 2012 16:14 #1

• jwalls9710
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Hey everybody. Just got my personal license last week and am looking forward to my first job on my 2002 Dodge Ram 4.7L engine. Just want to verify that after the mod, I cap off the PCV and basically dead end it. If I'm wrong please let me know.

Also curious to know if anyone has installed a cold air intake after the mod and what the results were. From what I've researched it should provide a little more boost, but I'm not sure the cost would justify the end result.

I'll send pics and report after the mod.

Joe

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re: New to Gadgetman land 14 Sep 2012 16:33 #2

• TacomaKarl
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Hi Joe,

Welcome aboard, here's the skippy on the PCV.. we disconnect the end attached to the intake manifold and re-route it to the plenum side of the throttle body. That port on the manifold gets capped.

In otherwords, we keep the gases flowing and contained in the engine but at the same time remove a big vacuum leak.

I know everyone likes to jump in as soon as they have their kit but it is very much worth while to do some reading of the documents and posts on this site and to watch the service bulletin videos on youtube.

It's a lot of catching up to do when you come in new but well worth it in the long run.

Things that are helpful to us in order to help you are pictures of the engine from different angles so we can see the PCV and other vacuum lines as well as the throttlebody itself.

If I recall correctly (may be wrong :) ) the cold air intake had a negative effect on the groove. Ron does have one video up where that was addressed.

On youtube search for "gadgetman global", "GroovyServiBulletins" and the other gadgetman channels. Lots of stuff there.

again, welcome aboard.

Karl Fortner
Tacoma, Washington

Re: New to Gadgetman land 15 Sep 2012 15:20 #3

• Ron
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Joe, I sent two emails to you that bounced.

Please give me a call.

Ron

Re: New to Gadgetman land 17 Sep 2012 06:15 #4

• WillH
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Hi Joe,

Here's the link to the grooving of my Jeep. I'm pretty sure it's the same engine and TB.

Welcome to Gadgetman Land! The Gadgetman Groove: The World's Best in Fuel Economy

Re: New to Gadgetman land 17 Sep 2012 15:31 #5

• jwalls9710
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Ron,

If This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. doesn't work you can send anything to my work email at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. One of the two should work. I also tried sending you one on the air foil that is created by the groove. Never found the one I originally found but did find another and also drew one from memory and puton a power point. They too bounced for me. If I get one from you I'll just return it to you with the attachements.

Re: New to Gadgetman land 19 Sep 2012 13:47 #6

• jwalls9710
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Will,

I did use your pics as a guidline and it helped greatly. Only problem is my check engine light came on at about 100 miles after the mod. I also have some issues with the PCV valve. I just diconnected it from the throttle body and capped both sides of it. Any suggestions?

Re: New to Gadgetman land 21 Sep 2012 00:31 #7

• WillH
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Glad the post helped.

I haven't had a problem with an engine light. I did the ECU reset by removing the positive cable and shorting it to ground (negative), then leaving the key in the "ON" position. Maybe one of the more experienced members can help here.

My Jeep has been on lone to a friend in need, for the last week. When I did the mod, I blocked the PCV valve for the short term.

Here's the plan:

1) Cap the PCV inlet on the back of the manifold
2) Drill an appropriate sized hole into the black plenum chamber on top of the engine
3) Place a grommet into the hole
4) Insert a plastic pipe joiner into the PCV hose and plug it into the plenum chamber.

Re: New to Gadgetman land 22 Sep 2012 13:37 #8

• Ron
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
I have recently discovered in some systems that capping the PCV should be advised.
It appears the engines rely on the flow of that system, and following the mod (especially with a dirty air filter) it begins to draw air in through the disconnected PCV. This causes an abundance of O2 in the engine that is unmonitored and hence lean codes either at the primary or post-cat sensor.

Gave me FITS on an 02 Chevy 5.3 I can tell you! Then, after capping the PCV itself, the codes disappeared and the mileage began to increase.

Isn't it amazing how the difficulties we face, when we maintain our efforts to persevere, become blessings to us and others?

"NEVER GIVE UP! NEVER SURRENDER!"

• Page: