Welcome, Guest
Username: Password:
  • Page:

TOPIC: 2003 Dodge Ram 4.7l v-8 Marion Va

2003 Dodge Ram 4.7l v-8 Marion Va 20 Feb 2013 08:59 #1

• Mick Legris
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Today I will be meeting with a friend to modify his 03' Dodge Ram.

From the posts I have seen I may have to build up the wall of the throttle body and fill the pcv valve with epoxy.

Concerning the PCV valve can I just cut and cap the tube leading to the PCV?

My friend claims he changes the oil on schedule and has done so from the beginning. He also uses a fuel additive once a month.

Are there any other suggestions, tips or tricks that may help?

This, officially, will be my 3rd modification.

Regards,
Mick Legris
276-525-0231
Abingdon Va

Please Log in to join the conversation.

2003 Dodge Ram 4.7l v-8 Marion Va 20 Feb 2013 15:24 #2

• mpgmike
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
If this truck has the 5.7 Hemi, there is no PCV hose to cap (at least not the way it's traditionally done). There will be a tube that goes from the oil filler to the air cleaner. Simply cap that at the oil filler side. That is the way I did it for years, but Ron has been doing it slightly different. If it has the 4.7 (or 3.7), do it the conventional way.

Be sure to check the miles on the truck. It is now officially 10 years old. You may find great benefit from replacing the oxygen sensors if not done already. That's gonna be over $500 in Genuine OEM Mopar parts! Highly recommended, though. Also, check the usual suspects; air filter, spark plugs, ignition wires (the Hemi has them still), etc.

Mike

2003 Dodge Ram 4.7l v-8 Marion Va 26 Feb 2013 21:05 #3

• GadgetmanCR
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Mick,

A lot of other people know more about this vehicle than I, so someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but...I don't know that you ever want to actually fill the PCV valve with epoxy. With the groove, the PCV valve in and of itself is not a problem. It still needs to do it's job and vent. It's just that we don't want it venting into the intake manifold or anywhere after the groove, as it has a high probability of creating a vacuum leak. Thus it's usually rerouted so that it vents into the breather, since that's before the groove. We then can complete the actual objective, which is to cap off the active vacuum port after the TB (where it used to enter).

2003 Dodge Ram 4.7l v-8 Marion Va 27 Feb 2013 09:40 #4

• Gadgetman
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
The PCV is located under a plug on the passenger side of the throttle assembly with a large tab that sticks up vertically. Grab it with some channel-locks and rotate it CCW to remove.

Clean it thoroughly (opening at the bottom) with a non-residue cleaner (Brake parts cleaner) then using your bit, rough the inside of it up, and cut a trench around the inside. A little groove will do, and will serve to hold the epoxy in under pressure.

Then, fill the opening with epoxy and set it vertically on some plastic coated thingy with the tab up, opening down and wait for the epoxy to set. 1/4 tsp or so should be plenty. Then, after about a half hour (depending on the epoxy you used) reinstall it.

That'll do ya!

And this one should have the MAPster.

Ron

2003 Dodge Ram 4.7l v-8 Marion Va 28 Feb 2013 10:52 #5

• mpgmike
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Another thing you can do is just plug the secondary breather hose at the oil filler neck. The PCV circuit will put a vacuum on the crankcase (which in my humble opinion is a good thing).

Mike

2003 Dodge Ram 4.7l v-8 Marion Va 07 Mar 2013 22:52 #6

• GadgetmanCR
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Ron,

It sounds like you're saying to plug the PCV valve. Is that correct? If so, why?

2003 Dodge Ram 4.7l v-8 Marion Va 08 Mar 2013 06:09 #7

• Gadgetman
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
That is indeed correct, Jonathan.

It is a vacuum leak, and will ALWAYS be a vacuum leak if it is functional. As in this vehicle (and the FWD GM Passenger cars) the PCV is mounted with an internal vac supply, the only way to stop the leak is to plug the PCV itself.

Got it?

Moisture on oil cap 2003 Dodge Ram 4.7l v-8 Marion Va 19 Feb 2014 11:58 #8

• Mick Legris
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
I've done this mod to this vehicle and with 2 oil changes have noticed water moisture on the oil cap but no indication of water in the oil... Any suggestions.

Moisture on oil cap 2003 Dodge Ram 4.7l v-8 Marion Va 19 Feb 2014 12:22 #9

• Mick Legris
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
I've done this mod to this vehicle and with 2 oil changes have noticed water moisture on the oil cap but no indication of water in the oil... Any suggestions.

Moisture on oil cap 2003 Dodge Ram 4.7l v-8 Marion Va 19 Feb 2014 15:21 #10

• dan
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Mike I would not plug pcv if you are getting moisture,then everything will be normal and youll still get mpg increase.

2003 Dodge Ram 4.7l v-8 Marion Va 19 Feb 2014 15:57 #11

• Tracy Gallaway
  • Founder
  • Founder
  • Thank you received: 564
Mick is this the TB on this Ram?

Looked on ebay for TB's to fit this Dodge 4.7L to see if I might get a better look. Looking at this pic from one of the auctions and other pics, I still dont see where a PCV might go on this TB or the others.

Yeah, water vapor collecting in the crankcase is a bad thing. I've not done any of the late model Dodge TB's. Looked online found a variety of TB's for late model Dodge's, including drive by wire ones similar to the GM design ones. So again- I'm tyrin' to learn here.

I wondered about blocking the PCV w/ epoxy? That will sure stop the vac. leak, but really reduce crankcase evacuation. If the vacuum source and PCV are located IN the TB, then simply capping a tube leading to it and re-routing the tube to before TB should do to stop the leak, is that what was done? This is why I'm such a pic. addict. And an air oil separator could go inline w/ this tube to capture some of water vapor and crankcase gas condensates. All Obvious.

Dan has me thinking to devise a way to process the crankcase gasses into something useful, I'm starting to work on that. Maybe just do like Dan says, restore PCv syst. to stock, see how it does.

Did this Dodge get any gains?

Tracy G
Tracy Gallaway
Founder and Constant Aide to Gadgetman
Gadgetman Reno, NV

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

Last edit: by Tracy Gallaway. Reason: more as usual
  • Page: