Welcome, Guest
Username: Password:
  • Page:

TOPIC: 1998 Jeep Cherokee 4 L, Canada

1998 Jeep Cherokee 4 L, Canada 23 Feb 2013 14:13 #1

• GadgetmanSaskatchewan
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
I had a number of senors go in my jeep, and replaced them, did the groove and reported this on another forum topic:

"Just working on my 4L Cherokee. Started with +4 LTFT, went down to -12, but for some reason back up to +4, with power the same: probable new major vacuum leak. Will check hopefully today."

Well, there were no vacuum leaks that I found. The next couple months were spent intermittently checking and changing a few other sensors. The LTFT by now after the groove was fairly constant at +4, and came close to a 16 to 25 % increase (23- 25mpg now verses 21.5 before, with occasional increase to 27mpg, all highway).

Then come fall, I noticed a decrease in mileage, back to the original, and then less yet from stock, all the while with the fuel trims rising to +18 to 21. The fault lay with a bad fuel pump, which was now putting out only 30 psi from the required 49 psi. What I think happened is that when I first did the groove, when the pump was still fairly cool, full pump pressure was achieved and the trims were at -12 on my highway run. After an hour of driving or so, as the pump warmed up and slowed down (as it was faulty), the fuel trims went up to 4 in order to maintain the proper fuel ratio. As the pump continued to degrade, and supplied less pressure,the fuel trims opened up further up to + 21 to get enough fuel to even-out the fuel ratio. The problem is that the injectors were designed to atomize properly at a range of +/- 5psi from 49 psi, so when I checked the pressure (LTFT at +21 and pressure at 30psi), the spray pattern was so poor that the combustion was not efficient and resulted in the higher than stock fuel consumption.

I have since changed the fuel pump, and with stock injectors, the fuel trims went down to -6 with again an average 15% increase in mileage compared to pre-groove status. I am in the process of trying out different styles of injectors. I will update as necessary.

The groove on these are straightforward, but needs the IAC re-route, being careful to stay within the gasket coverage. I would suggest going fairly deep on these re-routes if you live in colder winter areas, as the width is limited to a narrow gasket, and you do need the flow in order to have the proper warmup revs upon startup in sub-0 weather.

I do find the mileage gain erratic, and so I think that this vehicle will be a good candidate for the MAPster. I will report once it is on.

Regards,
Luke

Please Log in to join the conversation.

1998 Jeep Cherokee 4 L, Canada 23 Feb 2013 18:14 #2

• Tracy Gallaway
  • Founder
  • Founder
  • Thank you received: 564
Thanks for posting that info, Luke.

An interesting synopsis of the relationship between fuel pump press., spray patterns and fuel trims.

Makes sense to me!

Think we discussed 'bout the IAC bypass trench on the Cherokee before; a '90 (I think) model of a Cherokee w/ Jeep I-6 was my first Groove. I agree about a deep trench there for northern cold climate.

Thanks! :)

Tracy G
Tracy Gallaway
Founder and Constant Aide to Gadgetman
Gadgetman Reno, NV

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Page: