Welcome, Guest
Username: Password:
  • Page:

TOPIC: Dodge stratus mod

Dodge stratus mod 15 Feb 2014 23:10 #1

• ColtWS
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
did mod to my 04 dodge stratus no improvement yet. still lots to do ordered the mapster I think it will be great help with this also wanted to post pics of my first mod :)

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Dodge stratus mod 16 Feb 2014 00:29 #2

• Tracy Gallaway
  • Founder
  • Founder
  • Thank you received: 564
Good symmetrical lookin' Groove Colt, which bit is that? Pretty big IAC passage there, thinking of how to control that. Any pics of topside of TB throat? How many miles on O2 sensors, did you do computer relearn? Good for you gets easier w/ each one! ;)

Tracy G
Tracy Gallaway
Founder and Constant Aide to Gadgetman
Gadgetman Reno, NV
The following user(s) said Thank You: ColtWS

Dodge stratus mod 16 Feb 2014 20:30 #3

• ColtWS
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
I used the largest bit, do you think I should block part of the IAC off? I didnt take any pics of the to side of the TB. not sure how many mile on the 02 sensors im going to check them as soon as I can get a plug for it that fits my computer, some of the dodges need the Chrysler enhanced plug and it just happens to be one. I did the mod on my 04 dakota too. I feel a throttle response difference but no mpg gain. i did the relearn on the computer on both of them. the dakota tripped a code for the map sensor thats why I was thinking of putting the mapster on the.

Dodge stratus mod 17 Feb 2014 00:24 #4

• Tracy Gallaway
  • Founder
  • Founder
Hi Colt, I took some time and looked at '04 Dodge Stratus TB's on ebay just to get a better look at 'em. Viewing TB's like your Stratus' I think I might remove the IAC, and fill in the round incoming air port above the throttle plate w/ JB Quick. I'd go for 50% reduction in diameter of that hole, maybe a little smaller. The big bottom port, probably dumps into a corresponding shape port in intake manifold. I'd be a bit uncomfortable having such a big hunk of JB over that big of a IAC port, so to use epoxy to control IAC on this one I'd go for the top port.

Another way might be best, is to fashion a metal restrictor in same shape as TB base gasket, then put a hole in it where the IAC port is. Make from a piece of aluminum flat flashing, just put a TB gasket on and trace outlines and cut out. A cheap hole punch set from Harbor Freight is very handy for the mount. stud holes. Then put a 1/4 " dia. hole where the IAC port is, and install under TB w/ gasket on each side. Easy to adjust hole size as needed, or make another restrictor plate, and you don't alter TB this way. Ron has shown this kind of method several times before. Thin aluminum flashing stock is at home Depot and similar. Soda can if you have to.

Judge results by cold start idle RPM, and hot idle too. Too small a hole will restrict RPM too much. Too large- no real change in how it runs. PCV re-route is also advisable. Idea is to restrict "vac. leaks" to keep man. vac. higher.

If unsure on O2 sensor age/condition...watch the O2 sensor class vid I uploaded here recently, loads of critical info in it. Isnt your Stratus OBDII, plug like any other OBDII? Watching O2 sensor values in real-time, closed loop operation tells the story. Your Dakota, was that a 5.2 or 5.9L? If it is, is the MAP installed OK, how many miles on it/truck?

I know lots of folks use all kinds of PC or laptop or other computer lash-ups to hook into the computer data port, I just have a scantool. IF what you have is problematic, many parts stores have scantools to borrow at store. But I recommend that vid. I uploaded, it's a goldmine of info.

And- many vehicles & computers can take a while to give MPG gains. Improved throttle response, a cleaner tailpipe smell, are immediate proof the Groove is working. But age/cond. will slow or block gains unless things are up to snuff.

I'm not yet Mapster-familiar, but I would want to know for sure about any codes and that sensors are all OK before I would go there. As a last resort for the MAP, I've not done this either but- moving MAP sensor to a different manifold vac. source might work...? I remember Aaron Cheek and others talked about this when I was new and learning everything. You could pull MAP off the TB (if its a V8) cap that vac. port and run a vac. hose to another man. vac. source, leave MAP where it still plugs in, and see? Could be the swings in vac. levels so close to Groove in stock location, a different location may "buffer" those swings a bit-- some vac. hose and a cap to test.

Good Luck, keep at it.

Tracy G
Tracy Gallaway
Gadgetman Reno, NV

Last edit: by Tracy Gallaway. Reason: another error

Dodge stratus mod 17 Feb 2014 09:45 #5

• ColtWS
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
I did reroute the pcv on both vehicles when I did the groove. I see some of your groove pics your doing a double groove top and bottom does this help? stratus is a obd2 but for some reason the scan tool I bought has 3 obd2 plugs and the one I need for my stratus it didn't come with I might be able to look at the closed loop circuit and compare long/short/ fuel trims with the 02 sensors with the plug I have but I don't think I can run some of the same tests that I can on other vehicles. this scan tool has things like 02 sensor test and stuff not sure how accurate all of it is. the test does seem to mesh with the readings on the closed loop readings on my Dakota. the Dakota is a 4.7 L engine, the map sensor is bolted on the intake manifold and would be tough to get it in another spot where it wouldn't read to high or to low. watching the reading on my scan tool the map sensor is reading high pressure at low throttle. with what I have observed and read about high pressure will indicate a load on the engine, and this number coincides with the map sensor im showing high load when im not going up hill or pulling hard at all. then the computer starts adjusting the timing and fuel for a load. 02 sensors are good on the Dakota, I might go back in and do the iac on it also. did it on the stratus last night before you had responded. took a few tries to get the hole big enough going to try it while its cold this morning and see how it idols. the pickup has 150 k on it runs really good. map sensor is new. the stratus just hit 130 k.

Dodge stratus mod 17 Feb 2014 18:20 #6

• Tracy Gallaway
  • Founder
  • Founder
hi Colt, I'm gonna respond in pieces: Your PCV reroute's- did you cap the man. vac. source and hook PCV tube in ahead of throttle(s)?

Double Groove yes it does work very well boosting the Groove effects. Greg P, Gadgetman Ky (spells gadgetman backwards) inspired me to try it. Sergei a gman in Russia discovered this over a year ago.
Greg did his the hard way using standard Gadgetman bits like in PL program. I have Certified bit set, with reverse shape bits- that's what I use for topside Groove.

OBDII plug issue confuses me- thought all OBDII were same per gov't reg's to standardise them back in '96. Which scantool ya got?

when you say no gain on Stratus- you mean no throttle response or power increase, no cleaner exhaust smell, or in MPG? We know that MPG can sometimes take time for ECU to adjust/accept changes.

On MAP sensor--unbolt it, expose the vac. nipple hook short hose w/ tee in it, so to connect a handheld vac. guage and MAP to vac. Run engine, get hot idle vac. readings. Reinstall MAP and see if there's another avail. vac. nipple to get man. vac, test there w/ vac. guage. See if there's any diff in vac. readings anyplace else, try running RPM up/down in both places of test connect. of vac. guage. Also watch for fluctuation in man. vac at steady idle RPM. Ron has pounded the table over/over re: man. vac. leaks. We often don't want to believe our engine can have 'em, but often do. Vac. leaks are the bane of successful Groove jobs so use whatever method necessary to be sure there are none. Many experienced Gadgetmen have advised here many times--when you don't ger results start hunting/killing vac. leaks! :evil:

Thanks for the great pics, Colt. I'm addicted to useful pics in this work. Any more, like of the IAC mod, or anything else ya think might be useful can give a chance for all to see and comment.

I'll stay tuned, C ;) Colt!

Tracy G
Tracy Gallaway
Gadgetman Reno, NV

Dodge stratus mod 17 Feb 2014 18:56 #7

• ColtWS
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
yes rerouted the pcv, and then blocked the vacuum on motor side of the throttle plate.

the obd2 plugs are all the same, but there are different plugs that are capable of doing more than your standard scan tool. I did hook it up today I can see the dtc and watch my fuel trims exc. the tool is a autoxray ez scan 5000 and you can get 3 differnt obd2 plugs. its kinda of dumb the one that can do these rigs that have a few extra tricks, can also do the same as the other 2 plugs so why not give you the one that can do all of it. I guess I already know the answer to that its $$$$$. anyway the car only needs the plug for things I probably wont know how to use anyway. I hooked it up and I was surprised how good things looked the 02 sensors where runing mid range going down the highway and the short term not moving very extreme up or down from 0 long term trims where both on 0 this was right after relearn on computer I will let you know by thursday what the fuel does with the few things ive done iac and spark plug gap.

there does seem to be a little difference in the sratus but its not real noticeable exhaust is cleaner.

ive checked them both out for vacuum leaks several times and they seem to be fine unless im missing something thats hidden really good like plenum gasket but ive sprayed up in there and no change in the idle. im pretty confident in the cars vacuum its easy to get to everything. the plenum is right in front of the motor

Last edit: by ColtWS.

Dodge stratus mod 17 Feb 2014 20:42 #8

• Tracy Gallaway
  • Founder
  • Founder
'Kay, Colt, you're doin' things right, esp. right outa the gate...You've paid attention to the important stuff. You've been doin' your homework, I can tell.

I'm jealous, I think your Scantool is fancier than mine, I have the Actron CP9190 Elite AutoScanner Pro. I think if you buy that extra-trick plug for yours, you have to sign non-disclosure agreements and swear to never use it during the full moon or certain astrological alignments, else risk going into another timeline... :S LOL!

Yeah, prob. run it some more see how she does. On the O2's, watch closely the range the front O2 is switching thru try to estimate its average mid-point. And downstream, it should stay stable around middle of range. I am still learning as well, but a phrase has stuck w/ me re:O2's Lean is Low. Accounting for how some Dodges use a different scale, or maybe a reverse scale, in general lower voltage below a half a volt indicate higher oxygen. That's where the O2 will be telling ECU to add fuel. Also- how often it switches up/down. Plugging into some different cars can give a feel for how O2's read out.

Since you've checked for vac. leaks, just keep them in mind. And you've opened the plug gap 20%?

I don't have so much Dodge exp. as w/ Ford's. Smaller Dodge engines may well need more tricks to get 'em in line. Plus are you still having real cold weather there? I just had a breakthru in MPG on my Subie last week, I've posted in the Mileage increases thread on it. Maybe your Stratus has a slight headache, hmmm? B) But stay with basics first, you are doing an excellent job as a new Gadgetman! :cheer: Keep us posted.

Tracy G
Tracy Gallaway
Gadgetman Reno, NV

Dodge stratus mod 22 Feb 2014 20:00 #9

• ColtWS
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
I kinda had an advantage coming into the groove, because ive always been interested in better mileage and have done lots of research in the past. also built a few hydrogen generators just messing around never built any dry cell ones though. ive got the mapster and im going to play with it a little and see what happens. ive been hooking my scan tool up to every vehicle i can get a hold of to watch how they run to better learn what im doing.

I have read a little about the aspirin might give it a shot some time

Dodge stratus mod 13 Oct 2014 09:35 #10

• ColtWS
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
an update on the sratus mod I have played around with it a little over the past year trying to work some bugs out of it. the problem i am running into is a map vs tps correlation code problem. do to the higher manifold pressure it trips this code. i tried the mapster and it got worse. this car is just sensitive to change. good news is it has gone from 24 to 29 mpg. I have taken out the groove and regrooved it with the medium size bit. still getting 29 and trips codes less. we are good with it tripping a code now and then. I also had this problem on my 04 dakota. so just watch the newer dodges they may need some extra tricks done to. I did not try hooking the mapster up to the tps. that could be something to try and see if that will trick the computer.

Dodge stratus mod 13 Oct 2014 21:56 #11

• Tracy Gallaway
  • Founder
  • Founder
Interesting on how the Med. bit Groove-sounds like these 2 Dodges like it better than Large size.
I have a two cent idea on the MAP sensor, never heard of anyone doing this, might not work-
Is it possible to pull the MAP off the manifold, and block off the opening to the manifold, then if there is a suitable nipple on MAP where a small vac. hose could connect...then it could have vac. hose hooked on and run to another man. vac. source, and even use connectors to put a reduced diameter section of short hose in the middle of this new hose to an alternate location.
I never got details of what those other G-Men were doing to re-locate the MAP sensor vacuum tap. So this is my guesswork idea, I don't know if restricting the hose to the MAP could work or not, or if it's physically possible do do what I'm saying. IF the MAP had a nipple for vac. source on it- then this seems natural to me. Another variation is to use a longer than needed vac. hose- to dampen or modulate the vac. signal to MAP, if it has a nipple on it to use at all. Also, alternate man. vac. sources need investigated.
IT sounds to me that the MAP is sending a high load (higher man. vac.,LESS absolute pressure) signal to ECU, compared to TPS reading, and this just makes sense. In abstract this proves your Groove works, just the ECU doesnt like resultant input signal correlation.
I just re-worked the PCV hoses in my Subaru, I used a combo of larger diameter much longer hose and inserted a short piece of hose w/ smaller ID hole in one end to reduce volume of air going into PCV valve- and the longer larger dia. hose is to dampen the vacuum pulse to the crankcase. To avoid confusion in anyone reading this and understanding what I'm saying- the Subie's PCV valve is screwed direct into intake plenum, so it IS the man. vac. source.

Hose "tuning".

If my idea is feasible w/ your Dodge MAP sensor, then it could then be possible to "tune" the vacuum signal to the MAP sensor, dampening it's strength, sort of like doing what the MAPSTER does, w/o the MAPSTER...? I'm just thinking here, only time I've ever heard of anything like this was back when I was newbie, never got details...

Tracy G
Tracy Gallaway
Gadgetman Reno, NV

Dodge stratus mod 15 Oct 2014 21:16 #12

• ColtWS
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Tracy First thank you for the insight. I have tried to play around with it a little. the problem is that when you dampen the amount of air then you trip a code at lower rpm. there might be a combination to fix it but I just dont have the time to play with it. my thought was I got better mileage and it only trips the code every now and then. so im happy with what I have for the time being if I get time next summer I might play with it some more.

• Page: