Welcome, Guest
Username: Password:
  • Page:

TOPIC: 1999 Dodge Truck 5.9 MagnumV8 4x4 MPG gains w/ double Groove

1999 Dodge Truck 5.9 MagnumV8 4x4 MPG gains w/ double Groove 26 Sep 2014 21:58 #1

• Tracy Gallaway
  • Founder
  • Founder
  • Thank you received: 564
This past May I Grooved my neighbor buddy Jake's 5.9 Magnum 3/4 ton pickup. Jake has a lot of vehicles, doesn't drive the Dodge all the time, just when he needs to haul stuff. The Dodge has ~160 K on the odometer. Original O2's, spark plugs replaced recently.
This is an example of doing multiple TB mods, without anything else-no PCV re-route, MPG Remedy, or tire press. alteration. Jake said the Dodge now wears less-efficient tires than pre-mod.

MPG pre-mod was 11.2. After the mod, he got 16.2 while hauling a trailer over the Sierra Nevada mountains. On a more recent trip over the Sierra's, on hiway 20 which is very up-an-down and windy, and including a long dirt road hill climb, he got 14.2. Not too shabby! ;)

The mod- again this is the Magnum 5.9L V-8, the old Mopar 360 small-block w/ port injection, and auto. trans. 3/4 ton 4x4. First I filled in the IAC channel between the throttle bores, w/ JB quick, and cut a center air trench in the fill, exiting between bores. Then cut the regular Grooves. Then I cut the upper or double Grooves on upstream side of butterfly blades, on opposite side from main Grooves. (requires the reverse bit type in Certified bit set). Finally I did moderate throttle blade shaping. So I threw everything I could at this Dodge TB. Any Gadgetman could do what I did here, except the upper "double" Grooves, those are Certified only.

I would not call Jake a hyper-miler, far from it...Jake digs Power, he has modded turbo Mopars from the 90's, is a gear-head hotrodder, and very knowledgeable of cars and mechanical stuff. (And a great guy too!) I forgot to mention, there is a camper on this truck too. All considered, we are pleased w/ the MPG gains on his Dodge, and this is just with Gadgetman Groove mods to the TB, nothing else. :woohoo:

Here's the pics (you guys know I dig pics!)

Tracy G
Tracy Gallaway
Founder and Constant Aide to Gadgetman
Gadgetman Reno, NV

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Tracy Gallaway.
  • Page: