Username: Password:
  • Page:

TOPIC: spark plug gap increase

spark plug gap increase 10 Sep 2018 21:04 #1

• James
  • Adventurer
  • Adventurer
  • Thank you received: 1
Have a 1989 Dodge Dakota 6 cylinder 3.9. I'm new at learning about the groove and am trying out a few improvements. Question on increasing the spark gap. As i observed the spark difference when increasing the gap, the spark does not stay jumping of the top of the electrode after 0.045. The wider the gap the more the spark jumps off the side of the electrode and hits the tang at a angle where it bends over the electrode. Is this what others hear have noticed? Is this OK?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ron Hatton

Please Log in to join the conversation.

spark plug gap increase 11 Sep 2018 11:30 #2

• Ron Hatton
  • Founder
  • Founder
  • Gadgetman
  • Thank you received: 490
The variable that changes with the spark plug is the distance and design of the spark plug innards. The spark is going to jump to the closest grounded area it can.

While I've seen some that wouldn't take but a few thousandths of an inch, I've seen them take 0.080 and more also! The key is getting it top the MAX distance and still have it fire toward the combustion chamber. Once it starts firing to the base, you will get zero benefit from opening it further, and will PROBABLY find it better to reduce the gap until it hits the tip.

Additionally, if you have access to a drill press, and small enough bits, drill a small hole in the tang, aimed at the anode in the center of the plug.

"SHAZAM!"

Ron
Ron Hatton
Developer of The Gadgetman Groove
and Snake Oil-https://SnakeOil.wtf/?wpam_id=1
The following user(s) said Thank You: Tracy Gallaway, CLAUDIO CORDOVA, James

spark plug gap increase 11 Sep 2018 12:20 #3

• GregK
  • Friends of Gadgetman
  • Friends of Gadgetman
  • Thank you received: 652
Is this engine equipped with a coil pack or a distributor?
If a distributor, search the forum for TracyG’s Plasma Ignition implementation. You might still want to address spark timing if you decide to go that route or not.
Another option to increase the energy at the spark gap is to switch to resistance-free ignition cables like the ones made by Granatelli: get all the energy from the coil as efficiently as possible for the biggest, strongest sparks.
Another thing to ponder is grounding. A little attention there can help make Big sparks too
Greg Kusiak
Most Active Member
Audiophile
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ron Hatton, Tracy Gallaway, James

spark plug gap increase 11 Sep 2018 20:57 #4

• Tracy Gallaway
  • Founder
  • Founder
  • Thank you received: 564
James, get a (digital preferably) DVOM meter, with alligator clips on the test probe wire ends. Take the longest spark plug wire and check it's resistance in Ohms. Any decent such milti-meter will have different scales on the dial switch selector. Start at the highest scale, 20K or 200K ohms. Clip each alligator clip to each metal terminal at the plug wire ends.
With the alligator clips attached, take the plug wire, and gently pull and twist the wire slightly, as you watch the digital readout. IF a lower Ohms scale setting gives no reading, then switch up to next highest Ohms value setting. Less Ohms is better. Ohms is a measure of electrical resistance- and Ohms eat the energy the ignition is sending to the spark plugs. Also if the number readings on the meter fluctuate up/down, as you twist/pull the wire, then that is a sign that the plug wire conductor is breaking down

Whatever the age/condition of your plug wires, you want the lowest resistance plug wires you can afford. The more resistance the plug wires have, the weaker the spark will be, regardless of the plug gap size or plug design. Spiral-wound-conductor core wires are the best commonly available plug wires.

When we, or Ron, advise the spark plug gap increase "trick", it is assuming that the plug wires (if so equipped- most late-model vehicles are Coil-On-Plug). are in decent shape.

Myself- I like to see plug wire resistance in Ohms to be no more than 2000 (2K) Ohms. The Granetelli plug wires that Greg K is talking of--have ZERO, yes ZERO Ohms resistance. The very best available I know of, I got mine from JC Whitney, believe it or not.

Of course, it also assumes that the coil or coil pack, is in good shape too. Your Dakota is pushing 30 yrs old now. If it still had a distributor, and a single canister coil, then cap/rotor condition also matters. The Pertronix Flamethrower canister coil, is probably the best choice for that kind of coil.

Now I must offer an apology and explanation. I am an Ignition fanatic!!:evil: I always say: go out of your way to have the best, strongest Ignition you can. IT pays long-lasting benefits!

I used to do tuneups on cars for money. Once I did a Super tuneup with good quality plug wires, plugs, etc. for someone--I never got them back for another tuneup. 'Cause my tuneups lasted!!

James, if you have any other Q/A, I'm always happy to help!

Tracy G
Tracy Gallaway
Founder and Constant Aide to Gadgetman
Gadgetman Reno, NV
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ron Hatton, GregK, Kenneth Smith, CLAUDIO CORDOVA, James

• Page: