Username: Password:
  • Page:

TOPIC: 2009 RAM 1500 5.7L HEMI 4x4

2009 RAM 1500 5.7L HEMI 4x4 16 Apr 2019 21:46 #13

• GregK
  • Friends of Gadgetman
  • Friends of Gadgetman
  • Thank you received: 652
Correct me if I’m wrong, but we do it on electronic throttles to get more air into the engine at lower throttle angles, possibly because of the lack of control of the plate by the motor at such low angles.
Or is it to get more air in the engine at all times?
Regardless, it’s an excellent question from Tracy, and if we get an answer from Detroit, we should pay attention.
Greg Kusiak
Most Active Member
Audiophile

Please Log in to join the conversation.

2009 RAM 1500 5.7L HEMI 4x4 16 Apr 2019 22:28 #14

• Michael Lee
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • I'm a believer & leader through Jesus Christ, Husband & Father
  • Thank you received: 270
Thanks guys! Such an EPIC technology in our own garages. I think i might just give Detroit a call to hear what they say about the plate shaping. I'll post their answer here. Doesn't Nascar do that too?
The idle speed has dropped 20rpms, and exhaust note is deeper too. Groove whistle is there but I'm okay with that considering what the groove did to my RAM! There is a timing advance widgit on my app that I'm recording when i drive. I'll have much more data coming, and plan to put new plugs tuned to best gap possible soon. As far as fuel trims are going, i revved up the engine to 4k at idle and watched the short term fuel trims hit -11% that was cool to see. I'll be recording those more as i drive.
Michael Lee
(USER BLOCKED FOR ETHICS VIOLATIONS)
The following user(s) said Thank You: GregK, CLAUDIO CORDOVA

2009 RAM 1500 5.7L HEMI 4x4 17 Apr 2019 01:20 #15

• GregK
  • Friends of Gadgetman
  • Friends of Gadgetman
It will be interesting to watch what the fuel trims do under normal driving conditions - remember that with awesome power comes awesome responsibility, so use it mindfully/wisely! It’ll also be cool to see what happens with timing/trims as you open up the spark plug gaps.
Greg Kusiak
Most Active Member
Audiophile

2009 RAM 1500 5.7L HEMI 4x4 17 Apr 2019 15:09 #16

• Michael Lee
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
Yes it will Greg!
Here are some before & after screenshots from my knock detection widgit
Michael Lee

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

The following user(s) said Thank You: CLAUDIO CORDOVA

2009 RAM 1500 5.7L HEMI 4x4 17 Apr 2019 19:37 #17

• Tracy Gallaway
  • Founder
  • Founder
  • Thank you received: 564
I might be wrong, but I think I recall Ron mentioning something about how the plate shaping is a NASCAR trick. In fact, I've always suspected that though Ron brought us this tech, that the sneaky NASCAR mechanics, and such guru's as Smokey Yunick, could or would have done something similar-(if they even knew of it!)

I remember reading of something that happened in NASCAR about 50 years ago. As a Mopar nut, I picked this up someplace in the Mopar world...the legendary 426 Hemi engine, back in the late 60's, was beating the pants off of too many other Nascar racers. so, the rule makers decreed that the 426 Hemi had to run with a restrictor plate under the carb.,to limit airflow to the engine. Guess what, the Hemi tuners did something that actually made the Hemi's produce MORE power, with the plate!!:evil:

I never read or heard of what the "something" was. That crowd is as secretive on that stuff as can be.

Was it throttle shaping, or something akin to the Groove? I don't know. But those boys had all kinds of tricks up their sleeve. NASCAR's roots are in the days of the moonshiners in the South, who did anything they could to outrun the Law on back country roads in their modified cars. Instead of Revenueers, or the Sheriff, the Nascar mechanics and teams had to work around the rule books--and a trick or two, like our Mods, seem to fit right into their bag o' tricks!

Back to today- Dodge put that bevel edge on that throttle plate for a Good Reason, be sure of that. Now, this plate and Hemi engine are in a truck. I think that that shaved back edge might be there to boost off-idle power and throttle response. Maybe, just maybe, it's a throwback to Dodge's days of glory. Picture a 1969 Dodge Daytona, King Kong 426 under the hood...This winged beast (you could actually buy the street version at your Dodge Dealer, 426 Hemi, rear deck inverted wing spoiler, extended aerodynamic nose and all...) Imagine the sight and sound as this legendary machine exits a high banked turn at Talledega, and roars into the straightaway, passing other fierce competitors...!

Were the throttle plates in the big Holley atop King Kong shaved and shaped to boost the power coming out of those high bank oval turns at Nascar tracks? Well, those Dodge Boys did Something, for sure!

Whatever the story was, today we have a New Kind of Glory to use and share with the World!:cheer:

Tracy G
Tracy Gallaway
Founder and Constant Aide to Gadgetman
Gadgetman Reno, NV

Last edit: by Tracy Gallaway.

2009 RAM 1500 5.7L HEMI 4x4 18 Apr 2019 11:11 #18

• GregK
  • Friends of Gadgetman
  • Friends of Gadgetman
Am I correct in guessing that the one with the later time is the "after"? higher speeds at lower RPM? that's more power/torque for sure. or do I have this backwards?
the timing...I'm assuming that's BTDC. and 2 degrees closer to TDC is a big deal, why the power/torque are up I'm sure.
were you accel or decel? on or off the gas? your app might not show all of these in one place...or can it?

the speed limit in MN is 70 IIRC, maybe 75...so just be careful about sharing screenshots that show how fast you were going, ok? Don't want it to come biting you in your hind quarters.

And can we start inserting photos into the body of our posts, please? in case of future server issues, i think that may be the only way to preserve them, because some of the stuff I know I've put in is now gone
Greg Kusiak
Most Active Member
Audiophile

Last edit: by GregK.

2009 RAM 1500 5.7L HEMI 4x4 19 Apr 2019 20:29 #19

• Michael Lee
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
Thankyou Tracy for that COOL info! And no worries Greg the speed was WAY off, i only went up to 65 with my wife and mother in law in the truck so they are my witnesses. We actually laughed that it was that off! Would the timing be that far off too? Hopefully atleast that part is accurate.
But YES wayyyy more power & torque. It will break loose from the traction control now and still burns rubber if you stomp on it. The way the knock detection widget works is you tap the start button, then floor the pedal until it recognizes full throttle. It then shows me the screenshots i posted. Ive still been having problems posting photos within the message but hopefully it works next time.
Michael Lee
The following user(s) said Thank You: CLAUDIO CORDOVA

Last edit: by Michael Lee.

2009 RAM 1500 5.7L HEMI 4x4 03 Jan 2020 17:24 #20

• Jorge Avalos
  • Adventurer
  • Adventurer
  • Thank you received: 2
Do you have a photo of how you kept your Pcv?
Does your check engine light keep giving you p0507?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Michael Lee, CLAUDIO CORDOVA

• Page: