Welcome, Guest
Username: Password:
  • Page:

TOPIC: 1995 Jeep Cherokee increases MPGs by 100%

1995 Jeep Cherokee increases MPGs by 100% 04 Jun 2011 22:42 #1

• Ron
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Angel Chacon of Gilbert, AZ brought me his Cherokee to see what The Gadgetman Groove would do for him, and he was (like most!) very happy.

I heard through the friends he sent my way that he was getting double his mileage!

I'm waiting for confirmation, and will post the report here when it comes in.

As is common with engines of this age, the vacuum lines were extremely dry and brittle. You guys be careful, and ALWAYS keep a supply of fresh vacuum lines in various sizes around for cases just like this one and you will be glad you did!

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Ron.

Re: 1995 Jeep Cherokee increases MPGs by 100% 28 Apr 2012 14:45 #2

• GadgetmanSaskatchewan
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Hi Ron, did you get any confirmation yet on that Jeep? 4.0L? Just did mine yesterday (98 4L), the trims went from +4 to -11, but then came back up to 4 with no increase in power (0-60 same time). I suspect a new major vacuum leak. Have not time to check yet, maybe later today. Did you have to do major hose replacement on that one?

Luke

Re: 1995 Jeep Cherokee increases MPGs by 100% 28 Apr 2012 19:13 #3

• dan
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Luke, reset computer and gradually accel to 60 mpg and drive about 30 plus miles dont accel hard and give the ecu time to learn slowly as whats happening is its getting feed back to quickly from other components.I think the fuel trims will stay after that period and you can drive normal then. dan gadgetman mo.

Re: 1995 Jeep Cherokee increases MPGs by 100% 29 Apr 2012 11:01 #4

• Ron
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Hey Luke!

Actually, your 96 is one year into the OBD-II systems, so the gains will be more dependent on the how the ECU responds.

Seems about every even year (two year windows) the MFGRs make minor changes, every 4 for major changes. As always, give someone control and they're going to use it, and never to our advantage.

In many respects the ECU is our greatest hurdle. For the best in that area, you will need to talk to Dan Merrick. He knows more about those ECUs than I do and he is more than happy to share.

Talk to you soon!

Ron

• Page: