Welcome, Guest
Username: Password:
  • Page:

TOPIC: 2010 Ford Focus PCV Location Info

2010 Ford Focus PCV Location Info 13 Jul 2012 13:27 #1

• Ron
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
I did a little search for our new Gadgetgal, Patti, and came up with a cool forum for the Focus owners.

It's called Redirect Notice and may help us in future mods.

Stay Groovy, ya'all!

Ron

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re: 2010 Ford Focus PCV Location Info 13 Jul 2012 21:16 #2

• groovygal
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
:) Hi Everyone, I am new to the forum I had Ron groove my vehicle earlier this week..I drive a stick shift 2L four door 2010 Ford Focus.. We had some trouble locating some end points for the PCV valve lines..Someone still needs to find where that line ends near the TB for me..Here are the pictures of my engine.

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Re: 2010 Ford Focus PCV Location Info 13 Jul 2012 23:53 #3

• TacomaKarl
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
It's all good

A few of the hoses I would check

"A" actually looks like a PCV type
"B" Looks like the EGR, don't necessarily want to mess with that.
"C" Can't really tell what it is but it looks like it goes into the manifold

Not letting me insert for some reason.

(Ron fixed it)

I also looked at the TB on-line and am curious about the IAC, not something that Ron would overlook but I am still curious. :)

Karl Fortner
Tacoma, Washington

This message has an attachment image.

Last edit: by Ron.

Re: 2010 Ford Focus PCV Location Info 14 Jul 2012 04:54 #4

• groovygal
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
:) Karl I have been looking all over the net to find a vacuum hose diagram for my 2010 Focus..... do you or anyone else out there have one??.. Reason I need it is that I have a bit of a disability and it is hard for me to do certain things like getting under a car.. and getting up and down repeatedly.. So if I do this myself I have to really be able to identify the vacuum hose site to be able to take it off and block it near the TB like Ron said. I cant see it from the top. I wont have any help with this so it will be very hard for me to accomplish so I really need good directions. I am not a mechanic I am a nurse with many swollen discs in my spine that can cause a lot of pain if I do the wrong things. Too bad that there is no one else near Apache Junction AZ that could help me with this.

groovygal/Patti

Re: 2010 Ford Focus PCV Location Info 16 Jul 2012 00:34 #5

• groovygal
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
:) Hi Ron I found some information about this PCV at Auto Zone...They sell a card that allows you to go online (after you pay for it) and look up you car engine details.. I have copied seven pages on this valve but one page shows where its located.. I want to post it for others to see so I will take the two pages and cut and paste...that most relate to this and try and post them..but I better copy and scan them so I don't have to upload seven pages unless you think it would work?? Thats a lot of data with diagrams..I decided to cut and paste and upload what you will see attached to this...I hope this helps someone else because finding this drove me just about crazy with frustration...
Best... Groovygal/Patti

This message has an attachment file.

Last edit: by Ron.

Re: 2010 Ford Focus PCV Location Info 16 Jul 2012 05:38 #6

• Tracy Gallaway
  • Founder
  • Founder
  • Thank you received: 564
Hey Groovygal, you're a trooper! That alldata info is good to have. Looks from here like the PCV Valve is down on the side of the intake man. below the throttle body. I could recommend how to re-direct it I think if there was a better pic of the rear top of engine to show where those hoses go into. There's two hoses into the flex rubber air duct before the throttle body. One has to be the Breather hose, other I'm not sure might be EVAP from fuel tank/charcoal canister. Can't tell what the hose connecting to intake downstream just past TB is, but that's to manifold (active) vac. EGR? Things seem just plain different on this motor; unusual fittings, to me anyway.

The hard plastic tubes-probably nylon/similar. Must cut w/ sharp tool, careful! I use a Craftsman Handy-Cut tool for that and any heavy hose cutting. I would leave PCV valve inplace. Cut its nylon tube where convenient, then press a double ended male fitting into the end of tube coming from engine rear. I'd use fuel hose on that male fitting to connect into the breather hose, which needs cut and a Tee fitting pressed inline w/ it. When I've had to press a brass or hard plastic fitting into that nylon tube stuff, Its been useful to warm the nylon tube w/ a pan of hot water or a hair dryer. Watch it if ya use a dryer dont overheat tube/anything else. But that plastic tube stuff is rigid and can kink if not careful, be methodical!;)

If the tube on the PCV valve itself doesnt come off then must find a way to cap the cut tube. Perhaps replace the pcv valve w/ parts store one then just cap the pcv directly? I've found the rubber caps they sell today don't hold up well/long, so I've been using vinyl ones. They have a small assortment of colored vinyl caps at O'Reilly auto parts here in Reno for a few bucks. The plastic and brass tees/ fittings and caps and all this stuff are usually right together in parts stores. And you have to figure out diameters of everything to hook it all up. Might(?) go to a hardware store in irrigation/plumbing section for necessary plastic/ brass fittings, that's where I've found suitable parts as well. I avoid heavy galvanized pipe fittings--too clunky and will eventually corrode underhood.

The breather hose might turn out to be a rubber hose, hard to tell from here. Would be nice if so, rubber hose is easy to deal with.

So that's what I can contribute at this point, groovygal!:)

TracyG Gadgetman Reno
Tracy Gallaway
Founder and Constant Aide to Gadgetman
Gadgetman Reno, NV
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ron

Re: 2010 Ford Focus PCV Location Info 16 Jul 2012 06:02 #7

• Ron
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Tracy and Patti! I LOVE you guys!

Patti- for taking the initiative and getting the diagram, ONE KARMA! Great job!

Tracy, BIG Karma for the post! This is a great discussion for a newby. Very clear, and expertly written.

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!

Re: 2010 Ford Focus PCV Location Info 16 Jul 2012 17:11 #8

• groovygal
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
:) Tracy I am going to give you all the diagrams that I downloaded in the file that I cut and pasted from...You can make heads and tails of this better than I can..Your directions are great so you must be a mechanic...I am however not so it will take me some time to study your answer..I am not very confident about cutting lines as you suggested...I am not there yet. So here is the file that I am attaching...

You guys who are more familiar with engines than I am will get a lot out of this file..

Best... groovygal/Patti

This message has an attachment file.

Last edit: by groovygal. Reason: File did not attach have to make it PDF

Re: 2010 Ford Focus PCV Location Info 17 Jul 2012 06:54 #9

• Tracy Gallaway
  • Founder
  • Founder
  • Thank you received: 564
Hi Groovygal! Holy flyin' boulders, Heated PCV Valve...:blink:
man, what WILL they think of next..?! Hydraulic Muffler bearings w/ a Flootner valve controller?

From reading that PDF, I say you need to look at your valve cover to see if there is a quarter-turn lock style PCV Valve there. Look at the PDF again closely to see what this animal looks like. From the previous diagram you posted I assumed the PCV would be down on the intake man., below the throttle body in a most inconvenient place.

That's not all here kids...3 styles of PCV Valve heaters OR a regular one that's non-heated...geez! The PDF talks of the PCV Valve OR its tube/hose having a heater to prevent freezing. Must be a potential issue for water to be present. Why? ON my Subaru which is an all aluminum engine block/head design (from 1985) I installed a PCV filter/home made Condensator from a small air compressor filter. Installed between valve cover and the PCV valve on the intake manifold, this "filter" would trap water mixed w/ oil in winter temps. Why? Well my guess is w/all aluminum construction the engine cools rapidly likely promoting water vapor condensation in the crankcase. This water would then re-evap as engine warms up and find its way to my "filter" via PCV hose.

That "filter" is gone now that my PCV is capped and the PCV hose is re-directed to air cleaner. Anyhow all this stuff about heated PCV Valve/hose on the Focus must mean an all aluminum engine design??

Even more twisted in the PDF is talk of a PCV Monitor...:blink: Might just be the computer can sense a disconnected/leaking PCV Valve/hose/tube via the O2 sensors and other sensors.

Did I see in your pics, Gadgetgal of looking down at engine front area, it looks like the PCv Valve w/ something blue next to it? Are there any wires right there? Might that (if there are wires present there and that IS the PCV Valve there not on valve cover) be either wires for a heater or a sensor?? I can't tell for sure.

To me the PCV on this Focus is weird enough, if there Is a heater involved somehow, I would thing hard about messing w/ this animal. PDF says the heater only turns on between 32 deg. and shuts off at 48 deg. Maybe they use the PCV heater only on vehicles delivered for sale in certain colder regions, maybe not for Arizona ( if that's where it was delivered when new.)

I never expected this variable. News to me! Perhaps a restriction on the PCV valve/tube/hose instead of re-directing it is an idea? Hello Ron or anybody else has anyone got any ideas here.

Sorry for the long post here I'm thinking w/ my keyboard here!! My freind here where I live has an '04 I think Focus, I'll get a good look at his to see I I can figure anything out.

Wait 'till they come out w/ the Corn Cooker engine...wait somebody did that years ago The gubmint would put a Butter Melter Odor Control System on it...groan...

Tracyg Gadgetman Reno
Tracy Gallaway
Founder and Constant Aide to Gadgetman
Gadgetman Reno, NV

Re: 2010 Ford Focus PCV Location Info 29 Jul 2013 10:33 #10

• Ken Bittle
  • Adventurer
  • Adventurer
  • Thank you received: 61
Gadgetgal,

How did this engine respond to the groove and did you figure out how to complete the pcv update? I have someone with this exact vehicle thinking about the groove and I was just curious of an update.

Thanks,
Ken

• Page: