Username: Password:
  • Page:

TOPIC: 1999 Ford F-350 Super Duty 6.8L Triton V-10 USA

1999 Ford F-350 Super Duty 6.8L Triton V-10 USA 23 Jul 2012 05:35 #1

• Tracy Gallaway
  • Founder
  • Founder
  • Thank you received: 564
Hi Gadgetfolk, 2 days ago I Grooved a '99 Ford F-350 Super Duty Triton V-10 6.8 Liter truck owned by a good freind. Wow is all I can say! Pre-groove LT fuel trims were in the +25 to +30 range, with 283 K miles on the Odometer. O2's were switching fast wide range. OK- I Grooved the double TB w/ large Grooves at revised angle by hand no jig. The Breather fitting on driver valve cover was an issue, the nipple was gone, the fitting is mounted with looks like some type epoxy/hard gray goo in the valve cover instead of a rubber grommet as I would expect (see pic).Tapped threads into the remains of the Breather fitting, installed a brass nipple to accomodate PCV re-route.

I loved Grooving this beast, what a simple TB to do- Cable actuated, only a TPS on the TB. Easy!:) Challenge was balancing on my knees atop engine area to do the "hose" work:unsure: Result is a truck w/ lots more throttle response! I had owner do the drive part of computer re-learn, she soon was saying how little throttle was now needed as I sat in pass. seat.

Before LTFT's were +25 to +30, fell to 0 to +0.8! Before mileage was 8-12 MPG, awaiting results of her monitoring. O2's still switching OK, maybe slower.

Only glitch so far is a Code PO401 Insufficient EGR flow. Did checking found a thread on a Ford forum: P0401 Code on a Ford V-10 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums Great thread lots of info including a youtube vid. on p2 of thread. This is all about the EGR System its sensors cleaning pipes/tubes and replacing the DPFE Sensor if required. TB and manifold plenum were grody/carboned up, might just be the EGR ports/tubes need cleaned, I'll be checking into that!

Anyhow owner is very happy all smiles 'bout her Groovy TritonV-10!:P

Pics: The Breather fitting/repair/mod, PCV port under TB mounting flange, "mod" w/ red vinyl cap on plastic hose fitting connecting PCV 3/8" hose to 3/4" U-hose connecting to PCV manifold vacuum Port. and the Grooved TB itself.

TracyG Gadgetman Reno
Tracy Gallaway
Founder and Constant Aide to Gadgetman
Gadgetman Reno, NV

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

1999 Ford F-350 Super Duty 6.8L Triton V-10 USA 24 Jul 2012 18:52 #2

• Deborah Elliott
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Since the "groove", my truck is running phenomenally! Even sounds better. Thanks Tracy!

1999 Ford F-350 Super Duty 6.8L Triton V-10 USA 25 Jul 2012 01:43 #3

• Tracy Gallaway
  • Founder
  • Founder
Why You're Welcome, Deb!:cheer: A little Groove sure does Make a Difference, Eh?

Your Ford is now a Groovy Super Duty!!

TracyG Gadgetman Reno
Tracy Gallaway
Gadgetman Reno, NV

1999 Ford F-350 Super Duty 6.8L Triton V-10 USA 24 Aug 2012 01:22 #4

• Tracy Gallaway
  • Founder
  • Founder
Hi Groovy People! Here is an update on Deb Elliot's '99 Ford F-350 Super Duty 6.8L Triton V-10.

Aug. 8th, I replaced the DPFE sensor, part of EGR system. Deleted PO401 code for insufficient EGR flow, no codes since then. Then we filled the 26-Gallon gas tank. Next day she took this big honkin' truck up over Mount Rose (8900 ft. summit!) to Lake Tahoe. She drove down east side Tahoe, back over Spooner Summit to Carson City then back to Reno, over 120 miles, all w/ A/C on. She drove out the rest of the tank in normal around town style. I can't think of a route in this region that could be more fuel-consumptive:unsure: Nevada State Route 431 - Wikipedia

Today she reported results of this tank of gas: Previously her best ever range for this Ford was 219 miles. This tank went 290 miles. Result: 32.4% INCREASE in range/ MPG!! This with that brutal Tahoe drive!!

YAHOO!!!:woohoo::)

man, can a little Groove make a BIG difference!:)

TracyG Gadgetman Reno
Tracy Gallaway
Gadgetman Reno, NV

1999 Ford F-350 Super Duty 6.8L Triton V-10 USA 30 Dec 2012 08:49 #5

• TacomaKarl
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Great job Tracy :)

Going from 8mpg to 11mpg on a vehicle like that is a real hoot.

That's almost 3 gallons of fuel per tank, gained.

Groove on... :)

Karl Fortner
Tacoma, Washington

1999 Ford F-350 Super Duty 6.8L Triton V-10 USA 30 Dec 2012 15:54 #6

• dan
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Heres something to think about, if I was sitting on the hood of that vehicle at 60 mph and had a gallon of gas I could pour that gallon of gas down the throat of the carb and could do this in 8 min at 60mpg and still have some gas left .

It sure doesnt seem like their trying to squeeze the fuel down now does it? Just giving someone who might not think you can get better mileage ,as we know you are out there, a realistic look at the true possibilitys.

If you vaporize just a forth of the liquid and run the rest liquid you can increase your mpg by one third, youd think one fourth but remember its already vapor the groove is a very good inhancer to turn it into a vapor similar as a catalyst is in a cat converter. Something to think about!!!!!!!!

1999 Ford F-350 Super Duty 6.8L Triton V-10 USA 01 Jan 2013 07:24 #7

• Tracy Gallaway
  • Founder
  • Founder
Hi Dan and Karl. Yes it computed out to a little more than 11 MPG as I recall. Owner told me a couple weeks ago that there was no real percieved improvement in MPG in town. She just finished a semester of college, this is her only ride, she does mostly in town driving. no big surprise here to me, that F-350 is a beast!

I'm currently doing research/parts gathering to do oil vapor separation for the re-routed crankcase gases. I've noted oily residue deposits in several grooved engines, in the intake/TB area. Ron's approach here is a BB filled can/jar-- I'm looking at using a homebuilt vapor separator catch can, or a prebuilt oil separator with a collection container. My own Subaru is making oil/water milkshake junk in the breather hoses that pukes up into the aircleaner, and I intend to stop or control this.

Cold wet weather really causes the Subie all aluminum engine to condense water vapor.

I will post info/pics on this for all to see in a new thread as it becomes available.

Happy New Year!

TracyG Gadgetman Reno
Tracy Gallaway
Gadgetman Reno, NV

1999 Ford F-350 Super Duty 6.8L Triton V-10 USA 01 Jan 2013 08:11 #8

• Tracy Gallaway
  • Founder
  • Founder
Yeah, Chris, good idea. Except--watch out for flow restriction issues w/ that type setup. It DOES work, I had one like that on my Subie for a couple years before Groove/PCv reroute. Most of those sold on Ebay or homemade use small hose nipple ID's like 3/8". If you reroute the PCV into intake breather or duct there will be a lot less pressure drop (vacuum) and gas flow velocity. One advantage to lots of those air compressor oil/water separators is the drain nipple on bottom--I put a hose on that into a small closed bottle to catch oil/water gunk, extending drain interval.

I'll put up info soon as I have it on other setup ideas to get rid of the GUNK!:angry:

Tracyg Gadgetman Reno
Tracy Gallaway
Gadgetman Reno, NV

1999 Ford F-350 Super Duty 6.8L Triton V-10 USA 01 Jan 2013 16:23 #9

• Aaron Knorr
  • Personal License Holder
  • Personal License Holder
  • Thank you received: 2
Hi There
Happy New Year
I find it interesting to see that can catcher, I have been using a very similar device for about 7 years now, it is called the condensator google it on the web. It is important to know what is happening to your engines there is a lot stuff going through the pcv hose. The pcv hose is where the mositure or water evaporates come through and also the gas fumes that leak by the piston rings (all engines do this), and also catches the oily gooey stuff that you see inside the intake manifold this stuff you will want to collect in the can as well. The beauty of this can is you can see what is happening to your engine an example is, lets say the engine creats a very small coolant leak into the oil sump, the coolant will then evaporate and go out through the pcv hose and into the can before is get to the intake and (hence its gone never to see it again). So when the coolant is colected in the can its like a early warning that something wrong inside that engine and repair it BEFORE IT IS TOO LATE.

Under normal conditions this is what I have experinced
summertime driving it will collect the oily gooey stuff which I dump out once in the summer.
wintertime driving it will collect water and the oily gooey stuff which I dump out 2 to 3 times in the winter (it depends on the weather condition so many variables here).
Also another thing is I metioned the gas fumes here is that they will pass through the system and get burned up.
I know some of this sounds contary but I know this works, also some people might say that water vapour is good for a better burn, but too much is harmfull to the engine too, remember there is always fresh air coming in the intake tube with mositure in the air.

Thanks Aaron
Aaron Knorr
Gadgetman Ontario

1999 Ford F-350 Super Duty 6.8L Triton V-10 USA 02 Jan 2013 01:12 #10

• Tracy Gallaway
  • Founder
  • Founder
Hi again Chris and Aaron! Well for MAX Redneck points you must use a Mason jar that was originally filled with Moonshine...:silly:

Yeah I know of the Condensator too, I've had one on the PCV hose of my Slant six in my Dart for as long as you--and it DOES work! Too bad the Manufacturer is soo proud of 'em, I think they are around 180 clams now, and they are kinda big too.

I've been working on coming up w/ a couple ways to accomplish all you just mentioned, affordably, in ideally less space than the Condensator. Nothing magic, just using existing principles & available hardware. One thing I'm guessing about re: using BB's-- I think they may pack together too closely limiting airflow. I used hard plastic necklace beads from Ben Franklin Crafts in my Home Depot compressor filter setup. They were larger than BB's so allowed better flow (I think) yet had surface area for gunk to condense on, and the liquid gunk would drain out the bottom into my little catch bottle. They stood up to whatever heat presented, but the setup was pretty far from exhaust heat.

I've seen another idea of using Stainless steel pot scrubber(s) cut to needed size as another alternate. There's lots of oil catch can breather setups out there just search Ebay! ($$$) I shall post what I'm doing soon!

TracyG Gadgetman Reno

TracyG Gadgetman Reno
Tracy Gallaway
Gadgetman Reno, NV

Last edit: by Tracy Gallaway. Reason: more info

1999 Ford F-350 Super Duty 6.8L Triton V-10 USA 04 Jan 2013 03:07 #11

• Tracy Gallaway
  • Founder
  • Founder
Yeah Chris that could work. But- I used an almost identical setup as you describe few years back to hold water/alcohol mix for a vapor bubbler. It held up about a year then turned milky white w/ lots of little cracks/crazing in formerly clear plexi. tube. I ditched it.

You could try it but keep an eye on it, heat is also an issue w/ this plastic.

TracyG Gadgetman Reno
Tracy Gallaway
Gadgetman Reno, NV

• Page: