• Page:

TOPIC: Ford Ranger 2007

Ford Ranger 2007 10 Aug 2012 16:21 #1

• Treven D. Gee
  • Adventurer
  • Adventurer
  • Thank you received: 1
Hello,
Treven Gee here, I live in Shelton WA and I am fixing to cut my first couple of grooves today. I am very excited to be part of the Grooving team.
My soon to be ex-work truck,(but for now its paying the bills)2007 Ranger. with 120,000 miles. The throttle body is plastic. Is there a special procedure for plastic ? Like slower speed on the dremmel to avoid melting. I have yet to pull out the TB since I have to make a run into town to get a new battery. I have been reading the manual and am currently printing it so I can read it away from the computer. Thank you.
We are doing Gods will here. I am getting 22 to 23 mpg now before any modifications. When I have some good data to present to my current employer I am going to offer to do the whole fleet and set up a contract to do all the new vehicle they may purchase in the future.:)

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re: Ford Ranger 2007 10 Aug 2012 17:26 #2

• Treven D. Gee
  • Adventurer
  • Adventurer
Here are some pics and video on the 2007 Ford Ranger TB.

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Tracy Gallaway

Re: Ford Ranger 2007 10 Aug 2012 17:33 #3

• GadgetmanSaskatchewan
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Hi Trevin, glad to see you here. I have not worked on a plastic TB yet, but my guess would second yours and really cut down dremmel speed. Experience will be the teacher here. Hopefully someone has had the similar TB to work on.

Good luck and looking forward to see the results.

Luke

Re: Ford Ranger 2007 13 Aug 2012 05:33 #4

• Treven D. Gee
  • Adventurer
  • Adventurer
Cutting the plastic TB was pretty easy. I did run at low rpms. I used the smallest bit but I think I am going to go back and use the medium one. I will decide after a couple tanks of gas. One nice feature was the gasket is molded into the TB so a new one is not needed. I am also thinking of building some type of jig to aid in keeping the proper angle.

Re: Ford Ranger 2007 13 Aug 2012 05:57 #5

• Tracy Gallaway
  • Founder
  • Founder
  • Thank you received: 564
Hey Treven, Welcome!:cheer:

I also have not done plastic yet, and I am curious...common sense says go slow maybe a cup of water handy to cool bit. I'd check thickness of TB in Groove area compare w/ chosen bit depth (1/2 of ball diameter) to beware of any breakthrough of bit.

Maybe I've missed something somewhere, I can't remember any posts on Plastic TB's. That is a cabled TB from the pics (thanks, pics always help) so straightforward no extra calculations...

I have started using a couple extras w/ the groove job, I slightly radius upstream entry into groove where bore wall intersects the Groove. I leave a slight raised edge at Groove exit downstream .IOW, I smooth/radius entry, leave exit alone unless any prominent burr needs a slight shave. I wonder if cutting plastic will want to leave a big ridge there...I'd watch closely for that possible sign of plastic melting!!

Can't help wondering if a plastic junkyard TB for practice would be good idea. Not absolutely necessary, food for thought.

Treven I admire your great attitude and post!! Thanks for joining Gadgetmanland, Keep at it, post any questions & pics, We are Interested in your progress and will help you...

Welcome aboard, Treven!

TracyG Gadgetman Reno
Tracy Gallaway
Founder and Constant Aide to Gadgetman
Gadgetman Reno, NV

Re: Ford Ranger 2007 13 Aug 2012 06:32 #6

• Rick Ensor
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Hi Trevon,

Thanks for sharing. Just wanted to comment that for some reason, only the left half of your photos show up when clicked on. I've noticed this with some posts also. Not sure what to make of it.

Rick Ensor

Re: Ford Ranger 2007 13 Aug 2012 20:02 #7

• Gadgetman
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
To Fix the pic, just Double-click.
Fixes it QUICK!
Thank you, Rick!

Re: Ford Ranger 2007 15 Aug 2012 06:37 #8

• Tracy Gallaway
  • Founder
  • Founder
  • Thank you received: 564
Hi Trevon, if you can shoot more pics next time your TB is off that would be Great! I'm curious 'bout your Groovy Plastic TB! Thanks, TracyG

TracyG Gadgetman Reno
Tracy Gallaway
Founder and Constant Aide to Gadgetman
Gadgetman Reno, NV

• Page: