Welcome, Guest
Username: Password:

TOPIC: 1994 Explorer 4.0L mod. My first!

Re: 1994 Explorer 4.0L mod. My first! 23 Oct 2012 12:56 #25

• Ron
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Jamieson,

I can feel your frustration, all the way in Montana! This is actually frustrating to me as well.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but pumping the intake full of smoke is NOT a vacuum test. A TRUE vacuum test requires applying a vacuum to the system in question. You cannot find leaks under the dash or in the booster (or small ones that make BIG problems) by using a smoke test. I don't care WHAT the glorified parts changers tell you.

The science of it doesn't apply. Period.

I don't know if this will encourage you, but I just got off the phone with Gerrett Herning, Vice Chair for the Minnesota SAE. He wants to test the principles and The Groove on two engines. In discussing capping the PCV, he didn't bat an eye. In fact, he immediately recognized the benefits.

As to the IAC, just open the 1/8" hole to 1/4. I did that and it smoothed out the cold ops. It's turning Winter here, with the first snow on the ground, so I may have to open in a tad more, but as I have a similar setup on my Expedition (which is still 19 MPGs compared to the 9 I started with) you should see similar results.

Anyway, don't let 'stuff' bother you. I get tired of brushing my teeth, and I still get cavities. It's a running battle!

You say you've been at this a whole year. why don't you send me your TB and let me take a look at it? It would be my pleasure to inspect and make recommendations as to your application. Most guys have trouble cutting their first.

How about letting me help?

Oh, and get a Mityvac 8000....

PS: Here's a sample of Mr. Herning's work on the Singh Groove: http://www.herningg.com/singh/Ionization%20current%20analysis.pdf

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Ron.

Re: 1994 Explorer 4.0L mod. My first! 23 Oct 2012 18:58 #26

• JDiemicke
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Hey guys when I first got started with this, I did in fact put the restrictor plate on with the 1/4 inch. hole first and the 1/8 inch. hole second.

And Ron you are the one who did the groove on my TB, and after about 3 months of no results you told me to send the TB to Nick in NY. He sent me one of his and still no results. Nick said my TB was fine so we re- exchanged TB's.

I do have a Mityvac 8000, you can see it in my video I made for you guys.

Re: 1994 Explorer 4.0L mod. My first! 23 Oct 2012 19:44 #27

• TacomaKarl
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Hi Jamieson,

Give my suggestion a try, 2 steps, first one... open up the 1/4" hole to 1" or whatever would be approriate for the gasket on that side.

Try it out, the 1/8" hole has to be on the exit side of the IAC port.

If you see little or no improvement on cold idle, then increase the 1/8" hole to 1/4"
and try it again.

There is a reason why they refer to some things as evolving technologies... they're still finding out about all the variables and how to deal with them.

Give it a shot :)

Karl Fortner
Tacoma, Washington

Re: 1994 Explorer 4.0L mod. My first! 24 Oct 2012 01:41 #28

• dan
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
It sounds like bad cat or o2s as they are the fuel controllers,the cat MUST work properly if its knocked out or plugged it will NOT give good mpg.

Obd1 wont give fuel trims so change out parts and reset ecu.

The mpg should rise,that old of a vehicle its proably due for new fuel controllers.

All obd2s lets see the fuel trims as this will determine vacum leaks also.

Dan Gadgetman Mo.

Re: 1994 Explorer 4.0L mod. My first! 24 Oct 2012 03:06 #29

• Ron
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
But you do not mention using it, Jamieson! All you mentioned was "pumping smoke" so I was left with the obvious conclusion that was your testing methodology.

There must be either a vac leak somewhere in the system or the ECU is locked.

There is no other reason to my knowledge, Jamieson. Look a little deeper.

I have known guys that have spent a great deal of frustration on searching only to find the leak as long as a year later while working on something else.

It IS there. I am certain of it. Perhaps in the intake gasket, perhaps the EGR system, perhaps in the climate control or the brake booster.

But it is there, rest assured.