Welcome, Guest
Username: Password:
  • Page:

TOPIC: 1998 F150 4.2L

1998 F150 4.2L 20 Oct 2011 22:41 #1

• GadgetmanCA
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Today I groved my F150.(1998 4.2). It took less than one our to do it. Easy access, no complications, immediate results. Definitely more power. I can't wait to do a milage test. Pcv vacuum port located under the intake, behind the throttle body. Easier to plug before installing the throttle back. The groove has to be on the upper side on this one!
"One groove a day , keeps the poverty away!"(TM*)

Titus

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re: 1998 F150 4.2L 21 Oct 2011 02:21 #2

• AronCheek
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Hey GadgetmanCA, keep up the good work, and have fun. Looks like you are taking off very well. How exciting it is to see the Gadgetmangroove excitement growing. GadgetmanNebraska Aron Cheek

Re: 1998 F150 4.2L 21 Oct 2011 03:13 #3

• GadgetmanCA
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Aron,

Thank you for the encouragements. It's a good filing to know that somebody is actually reading my posts. I am playing with engines for a few years but, honestly, I haven't seen yet something so simple and inexpensive to implement and with such a dramatic effect on the engine as the Groove.
This is brilliant!

titus

Re: 1998 F150 4.2L 15 Jan 2012 20:21 #4

• Michael
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
I have a van with the same engine I'm going to groove after my wife's is done.
If possiable can you post some of you end products maybe how your groove looked and how you capped the pcv thanks from Florida

Re: 1998 F150 4.2L 16 Jan 2012 04:04 #5

• dan
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Michael this is a simple groove you`ll need no jb for this as it is a thick throttle body. If you have a scanner do me a favor and get fuel trims before and after prefer at 65 mpg long and short trims and post. This is a very under powered engine and you will see it come to life as soon as you groove. If you want to cut the Iac it sets right on top of intake 2 bolts just cut a alumn gasket and make a small hole you`ll have to start engine at shut off about 4 times to train ecu for new Iac setting if you do this mod. Pcv is under thethrottle body so while you have it off do your thing. I like to see neg 5 to 7 long and neg 3 to 4 short at those speeds on the 4.2L This tells me you`ll be getting better mileage. Dan gadgetman Mo.

Re: 1998 F150 4.2L 16 Jan 2012 16:50 #6

• Ron
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Ford likes to use a LARGE hose on their engines, and it is in a difficult spot, right behind the TB.

Like I said, it's a large hose, so you will need different style caps. These will not be in any assortment of vac caps I've found, but I HAVE found them! They are sold under the label of "Heater Hose By-Pass Caps" and can be found for about $6 at most parts houses packages as an assortment of sizes.

I buy mine in bulk from Sherco-Auto.com. Their catalog can be found here: . Just hit control + f and search for "bypass" and you'll see them pretty quick. Their numbers are HB 1 (3/4") and HB 5 (5/8"). You should have both on hand unless you know for sure which they used in this case.

I don't!

The hose can be difficult to reach, so prepare yourself for some tight quarters! Just reach in and turn the hose, pulling at the same time to release its grip. Be patient, as sometimes it takes a bit of finnagling!

Once you get that line capped, watch for some great power gains!

• Page: