Welcome, Guest
Username: Password:
  • Page:

TOPIC: What about the other vacuum lines?

What about the other vacuum lines? 25 Mar 2013 22:29 #1

• Juan Reyes
  • Adventurer
  • Adventurer
  • Thank you received: 8
I went and got a vacuum leak fixed on my 1996 Ford Taurus. Also he replaced a PCV boot that was leaking as well. The three vacuum lines weren't a big deal for the mechanic. I told him I just went to a self-service car wash and got the engine cleaned. You should have seen the before *whew*. It was disgusting. Anyways the mechanic told me I must have knocked out those vacuum lines when I washed it. He just reattached the lines.

But I remembered what Ron said. I'm summarizing. "A engine does not need vacuum lines and any vacuum leaks are a strain on it". I wished the mechanic showed me where the vacuum lines attached to. I would have gone to the parts store, bought some more vacuum caps and capped off those vacuum lines.

Has anyone done these other vacuum lines? If there is no change capping off these vacuum lines. Then I won't bother. But if there is I'm eager to cap them off.

Like I said. I don't know where these vacuum lines attached to. But I do know they were behind the throttle body and close to the firewall.

Will most car engines have vacuum leaks besides the PCV vacuum line?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

What about the other vacuum lines? 26 Mar 2013 12:13 #2

• GadgetmanCR
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Hey Juan,

Yes, there are always more vacuum lines than just the one from the PCV valve. For instance, two that are pretty critical to your car working are those that go to your fuel pressure regulator and brake booster.

The rest of them, like evaporative emissions, exhaust gas recovery and idle air also generally connect to the intake manifold, which is under vacuum from the engine. The immediate problem for us with that is that however well sealed those items and their connecting hoses are supposed to be, they often leak when they're "off", weakening the engines vacuum which reduces combustion. Thus, we look for ways to reroute them to restore engine vacuum, or cap those that won't piss the computer off and cause it to throw error codes.

As for not knowing where the vacuum lines go, just visually follow them from the intake manifold to whatever they connect to, then look that thing up in your manual and you'll have the answer.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Page: