Username: Password:
  • Page:

TOPIC: Doing my first groove on a 1996 Ford Taurus LX

Doing my first groove on a 1996 Ford Taurus LX 27 May 2013 02:12 #1

• Juan Reyes
  • Adventurer
  • Adventurer
  • Thank you received: 8
I'm excited! By the way I am now a personal license holder! I already took care of capping off the vacuum line coming from the intake manifold. That was easy. Anyone have any tips for me?

Also after every cut I will have to cool the bit right?

I would like to hear any feedback with my first mod. Almost forgot to mention. I know the best angle to cut is 15-20 degrees. How will I know that I am grooving at that optimum angle?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Juan Reyes.

Doing my first groove on a 1996 Ford Taurus LX 27 May 2013 19:57 #2

• Tracy Gallaway
  • Founder
  • Founder
  • Thank you received: 564
Juan if in doubt about bit angle- get a protractor and draw those angles. Fold up a few pieces of card stock (business card, etc.) to match these angles. Practice holding your Dremel w/ bit at these angles. Get a couple TB's to practice on, helps a lot!

I keep a small water container on the workbench for bit cooling. I run my Dremel 4000 around 15 on the speed dial + -. If you use too hi a speed aluminum will melt and clog the bit. A sharp knife or dental pick will get aluminum out of the flutes of a bit. Practice on a discard TB from whatever source look for sumthin' cheap/ free ideally. A mechanic shop/ tuner/ anyone who handles a volume of TB's could be a source. Ask if he has any TB's with damage/broken parts.

Take pics of the TB before/after Grooving and of anything you need input on. ;)

Everyone likes Pics! good Luck and Good Grooving!

Tracy G
Tracy Gallaway
Founder and Constant Aide to Gadgetman
Gadgetman Reno, NV

Doing my first groove on a 1996 Ford Taurus LX 20 Jun 2013 13:58 #3

• Juan Reyes
  • Adventurer
  • Adventurer
Update:

Well just did my first ever groove last night on my 1996 Ford Taurus. Probably needs to be regrooved. I think Ron told me a while back on way to tell if the groove is done properly. When everything is put back together and you start the engine it should show a SURGE of RPM's. My car did not do that. :(

I did reset the ECU but no conditioning drive. I had to leave for work. Although I did notice more POWER when I pushed on the gas. It wanted to go!

I hope I can regroove. But I accidentally threw away the aluminum shavings. I hope I can still regroove without the aluminum shavings. What's a highly recommended epoxy?

Here are the pictures of what the groove looks like and what I did with the PCV valve and the capped vacuum port.

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Doing my first groove on a 1996 Ford Taurus LX 20 Jun 2013 17:35 #4

• TacomaKarl
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Hi Juan,

One thing you'll want to look at is that opening on the left side

More than likely that is the idle air pathway.

You'll want to restrict that down to a 1/8" - 3/16" pathway and you'll
want to reroute it up towards the plate shaft.

You'll want to make sure there is enough gasket in that area to cover the reroute.

The rpm surge typically occurs with the computer controlled (fly by wire) throttlebody's
Pretty sure yours has a cable for the accellerator.

I wouldn't worry about a regroove until you've made the other adjustments, it may not be needed. :)

Welcome aboard

Karl Fortner
Tacoma, Washington

Last edit: by TacomaKarl.

Doing my first groove on a 1996 Ford Taurus LX 20 Jun 2013 20:55 #5

• dan
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
I agree with Karl, one thing I noticed is you plugged pcv valve thats a no no. Only plug the vacuum line reroute the pcv to passive side. Happy grooving.

Doing my first groove on a 1996 Ford Taurus LX 21 Jun 2013 15:28 #6

• Juan Reyes
  • Adventurer
  • Adventurer

dan wrote: I agree with Karl, one thing I noticed is you plugged pcv valve thats a no no. Only plug the vacuum line reroute the pcv to passive side. Happy grooving.

Thank you all for the feedback. Yeah I haven't had the time recently for the PCV reroute to the breather hose. I plugged it before I learned about the reroute procedure. I hope Tracy or someone else can make this PCV reroute explained in a step by step process.

I talked to this a bit to my co-worker last night. He seemed skeptical and wasn't sure how this works. Some people are brainwashed and truly believe what the industry tells them. :S

• Page: