Welcome, Guest
Username: Password:
  • Page:

TOPIC: 1996 licoln town car. V8 4.6

1996 licoln town car. V8 4.6 10 Jun 2013 11:54 #1

• ldrine85
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
I grooved Out my lincolntown car. Now im wondering the are 4 vacume line in large size going to the intake manifold. Obviously i plug the pcv and reroute it but what about the others ? Am i supposed to reroute as many to the filter sideode the intake as possible or just the pcv.

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

1996 licoln town car. V8 4.6 10 Jun 2013 22:02 #2

• Tracy Gallaway
  • Founder
  • Founder
  • Thank you received: 564
nice pics, Idrine85, thanks! Groove looks good to me.

Well the other vac. lines besides re-routing PCV...first is you want no Vac. leaks. Check condition of lines/hoses. If connections are in good shape, not dry-rotted cracked swollen oil-soaked, etc. then that's good. I've learned to check these lines thouroughly, assuming has bit me before! :blink: But generally re-route PCV, then look at rest of em.

If a vac. hose/line is going to something like brake booster, a diaphragm, something that is vac.-operated but is a "dead-end" then I leave it alone, just check for vac.leaks. Vacuum operated means vacuum operated. Others like PCV and EVAP system can pull air/fumes through resulting in flow. If there is flow, then it acts as a vacuum leak, bleeding manifold vac. off, reducing the Groove's effectiveness. Ask yourself if the hose in question--if it connects to intake man. on one end--is dead end or allows flow through from a source,on its other end.

Might consider re-routing any EVAP system hose to the air inlet duct before TB, that will be a line from charcoal canister or fuel tank to purge fuel vapors. Power brake vac. hose obviously has to stay where it is.

It's good idea to connect a decent vacuum guage and measure manifold vac. at hot idle. Won't see pulsations in vac. from the Groove, those are way too fast--but a good vac. gauge is a primary tool to use..

Have you driven this Lincoln yet? How's driveability, power, tailpipe smell? Did you do a re-learn procedure for the ECM/computer?

Anyway Idrine85, we're glad you're here, that Groove looks good! Keep us posted and ask questions! Oh and it's cool to post using your name!

Tracy G
Tracy Gallaway
Founder and Constant Aide to Gadgetman
Gadgetman Reno, NV

1996 licoln town car. V8 4.6 13 Jun 2013 12:03 #3

• ldrine85
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Ok so i did some cacuum testing and found that i was 14- 15 psi vac pressur witch sucked. so after some testing found the egr soleniod was leaking. Bypassed the egr copletely with gains up to 20-21psi vacuum. Car running so much better but after a few miles check engine light on and thowing code p401 witch is not enough exhaust circulation. So im wondering if i have to replaced solenoid or is there a way to delete the egr valve and solenoid completely and change the computer to shut off egr's ??

Last edit: by ldrine85. Reason: wrote wrong number in

1996 licoln town car. V8 4.6 13 Jun 2013 15:12 #4

• Ron
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
By capping off the EGR system, you have done two things.
1) Caused a permanent check engine light.
2) Reduced the temperature of the intake air.
While at first blush, capping the EGR APPEARS to be a good thing, in the long run, it presents more problems than it could possibly solve. You MUST keep the EGR system in full operation, or when something else goes wrong, you won't know it as the check engine light is either on or it is off. No way to know if you messed something else up.

Please reconnect the EGR. If the valve is defective, replace it. That is the solution you should have employed, my friend.

Ron

• Page: