• Page:

TOPIC: 2000 Expedition w/ 5.4L Anyone?

2000 Expedition w/ 5.4L Anyone? 01 Jul 2013 21:06 #1

• GM Tim
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Hey Guys!

I have a customer in the morning with a 2000 Ford Expedition 5.4L

Have any of you done one and did you have any issues? What results did you get?

Hoping for some quick feedback.

Thanks Guys!!

GM Tim

Please Log in to join the conversation.

2000 Expedition w/ 5.4L Anyone? 01 Jul 2013 21:43 #2

• dan
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Did one about 2 years ago, gained about 4mpg it was a 4x4 went from 16 to 20 on hwy

This will be cable drive,very easy groove I also did one with Ron at the speedway in AZ one of my first I dont know how much mpg gain but the owner loved the power.

2000 Expedition w/ 5.4L Anyone? 01 Jul 2013 22:52 #3

• Tracy Gallaway
  • Founder
  • Founder
  • Thank you received: 564
Hi Tim, I haven't done any of the newer Fords yet--but I advise leave the spark Plugs alone, and might advise owner to have 'em replaced by an experienced shop before the miles get any higher, if they are Original. And use something besides Motocraft! :evil:

Tracy G
Tracy Gallaway
Founder and Constant Aide to Gadgetman
Gadgetman Reno, NV
The following user(s) said Thank You: GM Tim

2000 Expedition w/ 5.4L Anyone? 01 Jul 2013 23:34 #4

• GM Tim
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Thank You Dan & Tracy for such a quick response!! It is very reassuring to hear how your experience was as us newbies step into doing vehicles new to us. Your input is invaluable!!!!

So, Dan, did you cap the PCV or Breather port and re-route it anywhere special?

I will let post feedback on this mod, when I get the good word from the customer.

2000 Expedition w/ 5.4L Anyone? 02 Jul 2013 16:44 #5

• dan
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Yes we capped vacuum line to pcv and teed to passive side. The one in az was when Ron first started to plud pcv it was kinda experimental at that time. They are easy. Especially cable drive like yours will be.

2000 Expedition w/ 5.4L Anyone? 05 Jul 2013 13:30 #6

• Gadgetman
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
I did one for the Manager of the Chamber of Commerce. it was an 02 w/ 5.5L and she still brags about double her mileage.

Good luck, Brother Tim!

Ron

2000 Expedition w/ 5.4L Anyone? 05 Jul 2013 14:00 #7

• GM Tim
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Thanks for the feedback Dan.

It looked like the PCV was already plumbed to the passive side, the hose from the driver side valve cover. Now there was a port just past the TB that went to some valve or sensor and I was not sure what it was. But was pulling full manifold vacuum. Below is a picture.

I thought it was the PCV but then saw the hose off the dr side valve cover and reconnected it. Any idea as to what this valve does and whether or not I should cap and re-route it?

Thanks,

GM Tim

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

2000 Expedition w/ 5.4L Anyone? 06 Jul 2013 19:15 #8

• Tracy Gallaway
  • Founder
  • Founder
Hi Tim, a pic from more distance showing both hose connections from this gizmo might help. It looks(?) like a hard plastic/nylon vacuum line the skinny white one going to left from bottom. EGR vacuum control unit? Need to see connections for both hoses. I note a wire plug also attached, indicates a sensor input signal OR a control signal output from ECM... little green cap has me scratching my noggin...

Any word from customer, how'd it run afterwards? Tracy G
Tracy Gallaway
Gadgetman Reno, NV

2000 Expedition w/ 5.4L Anyone? 10 Jul 2013 13:22 #9

• Gadgetman
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Here's a little tidbit following a conversation with our friend Tim Talbot from Redding CA.

On the 4.6-5.4L Ford engines, the PCV is difficult to spot as well as difficult to reach. After a conversation, he sent me to a video on YouTube from someone else on replacing their PCV hose. I extracted this picture of the PCV system (with upper intake removed) from that video on a 98 5.4:

If you look at this, you can see where the PCV hose comes off the intake to the rear of the opening. It then cuts left and then forward to connect to the PCV valve itself. The PCV port is always in this location OR higher up on the upper intake.
You will find these fittings in most cases to be oil-soaked (and leaky!). They are also quite large, requiring (I believe) a 5/8" cap ("Heater By-Pass Caps in the stores) to seal off.

Thanks, Tim!

2000 Expedition w/ 5.4L Anyone? 10 Jul 2013 21:39 #10

• GM Tim
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Here is the picture of where the PCV is likely to be at on this 5.4- Behind the upper intake either pointing straight back or up. This picture is with the upper intake off.

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

2000 Expedition w/ 5.4L Anyone? 16 Oct 2013 22:06 #11

• Tracy Gallaway
  • Founder
  • Founder
Hi agin, Tim, so was there any feedback re: results on this Expedition? And didya ever figure out that vacuum gizmo, was it an EGR vacuum control solonoid as I was thinking? If it was to control EGR then it ought be left alone, IMHO.

I'm looking for any additional info to stregnthen the concepts on these '98-'02 Fords further...

Thanks! ;) Tracy G
Tracy Gallaway
Gadgetman Reno, NV

• Page: