Username: Password:
  • Page:

TOPIC: 2008_Ford F-250 XLT Super Duty 6.8L Triton V10

2008_Ford F-250 XLT Super Duty 6.8L Triton V10 27 Jul 2013 22:11 #1

• JV
  • Adventurer
  • Adventurer
  • Thank you received: 17
Just grooved a 2008 Ford F-250 for a friend.

It all went well, no error codes prior to, during or after the procedure...until an unfortunate surprise happened while finishing up the last portion of the driving test. A deer decided to jump out in front and totaled the front! The rest of the day was spent calling the insurance co. and getting it towed away. Thankfully the owner had good insurance coverage so it won't be a financial burden.

Prior to the accident I did get a chance to witness no exhaust smell, but until the vehicle gets back from repair, all other results are on hold unfortunately.

I did manage to take many pictures for your reference and comments.

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Tracy Gallaway

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: by JV. Reason: info clarification

2008_Ford F-250 XLT Super Duty 6.8L Triton V10 28 Jul 2013 01:04 #2

• Ken Bittle
  • Adventurer
  • Adventurer
  • Thank you received: 61
Awesome write up, glad you are okay after hitting the deer.

Ken

2008_Ford F-250 XLT Super Duty 6.8L Triton V10 28 Jul 2013 23:36 #3

• Tracy Gallaway
  • Founder
  • Founder
  • Thank you received: 564
Nice work, JV!

Interesting how close this TB is to the 2 '99 model year ones I've done. And you say no codes before/after? Good news. Good call w/ the JB Quick prep.

Did ya notice a driveability/power increase during re-learn drive? The one '99 I did in person gave a nice power increase. And a 33% hiway MPG increase.

Bummer 'bout the Deer! I Grooved an '06 Chevy Avalance last year, and the owners hit a deer on their way back to town after a long trip as well. They had no chance to avoid impact. It happens, unfortunately.

Will wait to see further updates.

Tracy G
Tracy Gallaway
Founder and Constant Aide to Gadgetman
Gadgetman Reno, NV

2008_Ford F-250 XLT Super Duty 6.8L Triton V10 29 Jul 2013 10:20 #4

• JV
  • Adventurer
  • Adventurer
Thanks KGB & TracyG, luckily no one was injured at all, just a big inconvenience and disappointment.

Unfortunately the owner didn't do the drive tests, so he has no idea how it changed, nor do I as it was the first time I had driven that vehicle.

I'll definitely keep you all updated in time.

2008_Ford F-250 XLT Super Duty 6.8L Triton V10 07 Aug 2013 21:14 #5

• JV
  • Adventurer
  • Adventurer
Update 2013-Aug-07:

The Truck has been fully repaired and is now back in the hands of the owner!
I re-conditioned the ECU. Immediately after doing so, I smelled the exhaust and it had absolutely NO smell of fumes what so ever! Just hot air!
I immediately had the owner and his wife come over and witness for themselves, and they agreed that there is absolutely No smell!

We then proceeded onto the driving tests. The owner drove this time, I sat shotgun.
He noticed that the truck had:

- No Exhaust Fumes as already mentioned, but worth repeating
- More Responsiveness to the throttle
- More Power

It's still too early to make any claims on economy, however we did watch the average Mpg continue to rise. At the end of the test drive the average read: 9.9 Mpg. (The owner understands that there may be a drop in economy for a bit before it gets better as the ECU relearns.)

The Truck has a history of averaging ~10.5 Mpg. So it's already looking close.
I feel confident that we'll see something significant in the near future!

Will keep you all posted.

Last edit: by JV. Reason: typo

2008_Ford F-250 XLT Super Duty 6.8L Triton V10 08 Aug 2013 20:50 #6

• Tracy Gallaway
  • Founder
  • Founder
Good JV! Sounds like a good Groove job. An excellent impression made upon the truck owners. I'd cal it a happy ending to this story, the MPG results later on will be the epilogue, and I would expect an improvement there as well.

I Think this gets a notch on your bit box! ;)

Tracy G
Tracy Gallaway
Gadgetman Reno, NV

2008_Ford F-250 XLT Super Duty 6.8L Triton V10 08 Aug 2013 21:35 #7

• orrist
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Hi orrist hear just looking at the pix and woundering why everyone wants to plug the pcv and not rerut it to before the TB why is it so hard to understand just woundering.

orrist

2008_Ford F-250 XLT Super Duty 6.8L Triton V10 09 Aug 2013 23:36 #8

• Tracy Gallaway
  • Founder
  • Founder
Orrist, I agree w/ you. I've been quiet on that lately, I've typed and researched myself hoarse on this. Just capping things is a quick way out, re-routing does take some time and parts. Doing these Groove jobs in the field, it exacts a price in time and $$ to do it right, IMHO. Could be done as a future job as a follow-up. It would require a decent on hand stock of hoses in different diameters, different fittings, clamps, etc.

I've spent some time coming up w/ my own ideas on re-routing and oil separators, and have posted a lot here re: this stuff. IT's here for anyone who cares to look a bit.

In any case JV did get a win w/ this Ford, IMHO.

Tracy G
Tracy Gallaway
Gadgetman Reno, NV

2008_Ford F-250 XLT Super Duty 6.8L Triton V10 10 Aug 2013 22:09 #9

• JV
  • Adventurer
  • Adventurer
I'm not sure what's best regarding the PCV issue. I know Ron has always suggested capping off the PCV so that's what I've been doing lately. Since I personally know the clients I can easily make an adjustment if suggested.

For those that don't know, I teed my PCV & Breather hoses together and added a custom oil-air separator, similar to what TracyG is mentioning.

Since I've never felt confident in what was best, out of curiosity, I recently closed off the PCV hose on my setup for experimental purposes. I can't say I noticed anything different yet, who knows.

Here's what I'm talking about:

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

2008_Ford F-250 XLT Super Duty 6.8L Triton V10 10 Aug 2013 22:45 #10

• Tracy Gallaway
  • Founder
  • Founder
Thanks for sharing that graphic, JV. Just a small point about the re-route gig. In the past when explaining it here I've noticed confusion about the term "passive" in this discussion.

To keep things clear in my mind I call the side/hose that connects to the air intake duct the "breather" side. That's the side/hose that admits filtered air to crankcase and I've seen it referred to w/ this description in many manuals and factory literature. Breather side lets in fresh filtered air to crankcase and PCV side sucks air/fumes out of crankcase via manifold vacuum.

So Ron called the breather side "Passive" as opposed to the PCV/manifold vac. side, called "Active"

By re-routing PCV to passive breather side we convert to a passive vent system, ensuring the crankcase can still vent fumes and avoid pressurization. And kill a huge vac. leak in the process, why Ron did it to begin with.

You already know this JV as well as most others here. Just sayin' again, to help anyone still unclear 'bout it...

Anyhow I bet this truck shows a MPG gain! ;)

Tracy G
Tracy Gallaway
Gadgetman Reno, NV

2008_Ford F-250 XLT Super Duty 6.8L Triton V10 11 Aug 2013 07:05 #11

• JV
  • Adventurer
  • Adventurer
I agree, it's probably best to use the term 'Breather' (not 'passive') to minimize possible confusion to others. That's what I've been calling it these days now that I'm learning more. Thanks!

2008_Ford F-250 XLT Super Duty 6.8L Triton V10 11 Aug 2013 11:14 #12

• Gadgetman
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Great write-up on this, JV! A superb job, actually.

I am keen on hearing how his mileage changes. Fords (as a rule of thumb) generally respond well to the mod. Up to about 2002, it is common to hear of 100% increases with the bare minimum of efforts. It's in the newer ones I have the greatest questions...

Keep Groovin'! Success is guaranteed.

Ron

• Page: