Welcome, Guest
Username: Password:
  • Page:

TOPIC: 3 different oil leak locations on 1996 Ford Taurus...help.

3 different oil leak locations on 1996 Ford Taurus...help. 13 Sep 2013 03:36 #1

• Juan Reyes
  • Adventurer
  • Adventurer
  • Thank you received: 8
I put in a engine oil dye so my local mechanic can look at it with a UV light and locate the source of the oil leaks on my 1996 Ford Taurus. By the way I talked to Ron on the phone and recommended I post on the forums.

The mechanic told me the oil pressure sender, oil pan gasket and the rear main seal are all leaking. They are all about the same on how much they are leaking oil. They all need to be replaced. The most expensive in terms of labor is the rear main seal. The mechanic told me the engine has to be taken out or the transmission to replace the $25 part.

The mechanic showed me my vehicle when it was lifted.

The mechanic told me it would be close to $1,000-$1,200 for everything!!! Insanity!!!

Ron mentioned something about putting teflon tape on the oil pressure sender. Hopefully he can chime in and offer his advice.

I do have the PCV valve intake manifold side capped and also on the intake manifold.

If anyone has any suggestions please let me know. Thank you.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

3 different oil leak locations on 1996 Ford Taurus...help. 13 Sep 2013 11:37 #2

• dan
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Juan, the oil sending unit is common to go bad 10 dollars tops the gaskets are most likely leaking as you are building up pressure in crankcase do not plug pcv valve cover side this will cause back pressure, only plug vacuum side reroute the other to the other side of valve cover.

If you havent blown seals out you may be able to correct the problem.

People, the CRANKCASE MUST BREATHE the old engines used a blowby tube then epa stepped in and the pcv was introduced to reburn the blowby. Just reroute and you should be okay.

Many people dont understand but engines must breathe or the seals will blow out.

Dan Merrick

3 different oil leak locations on 1996 Ford Taurus...help. 13 Sep 2013 19:29 #3

• Tracy Gallaway
  • Founder
  • Founder
  • Thank you received: 564
I second Dan here, Juan!

My opinion here--Re-route the PCV valve to the breather hose/tube, or to the air inlet duct, or leave it alone. DO NOT just cap off the PCV valve and think that it's OK.

PCV= Positive Crankcase Ventilation valve, if ya didnt know that. As Juan likely discovered here, cap off the PCV valve, and you have decreased the crankcase's ability to ventilate, that can lead to pressurization in the crankcase. Forcing oil out thru seals/gaskets. Blowby gasses get past the rings and the resulting pressure will find the path of least resistance.

Remember we call it "PCV Re-routing" NOT "PCV Valve Sealing" or "Crankcase Sealing"!! :angry: :unsure:

Folks, if you have a question about what you are doing, ask it here! Think about what you are doing and what the effects of your actions can be.

So Juan, did you notice any correlation between when ya capped that pcv off and when your Taurus started leakin' oil? I'd either do a proper re-route or just hook that PCV back up stock, but un-cap it! Oil pressure senders usually have their own seal or gasket, or are just a self-sealing pipe thread where they screw in. You could put a bit of Teflon tape on the threads, but I've found it usually isn't necessary.

Again- the object of PCV re-routing is to cap or otherwiase seal off the manifold vacuum source the pcv is routed to. Then just re-route the pcv hose/pipe to either the breather hose/tube//pipe or connect in to the main air inlet duct. We are eliminating a major vacuum leak, but ALSO giving the pcv valve (and therefore the Crankcase) a way to breathe, and therefore preventing crankcase pressurization.

Lastly--again my opinion-- go ahead and play w/ your own vehicle--but know what you are doing before you apply the pcv re-route to someone else's car. Ask if you are unsure. Do not just seal off both ends of a PCV valve system!

Tracy G
Tracy Gallaway
Founder and Constant Aide to Gadgetman
Gadgetman Reno, NV

3 different oil leak locations on 1996 Ford Taurus...help. 13 Sep 2013 20:20 #4

• GeraldC
  • Adventurer
  • Adventurer
  • Thank you received: 31
Juan put some teflon tape on the sending unit threads ,,, tighten the bolts on oil pan ... put some STP in the oil with a rear main sealer in a can from parts house... after the PCV air is flowing to intake air path before throttle body .. this will help stop losing oil.. wash it good and drive it .. checking oil for sure from time to time.. I drove a 1970 360 Ford pickup from 0 miles to 475k for 16 yrs worn out first motor at 12 yrs
The following user(s) said Thank You: Tracy Gallaway

3 different oil leak locations on 1996 Ford Taurus...help. 14 Sep 2013 03:39 #5

• zacharyrasmussen
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
I think I am understanding the pcv valve rerouting but just to be safe could some one draw a diagram pics seem to help me a lot more than words

where can I reroute the pcv on a carberated car
can it go into the metal air filter housing

3 different oil leak locations on 1996 Ford Taurus...help. 18 Sep 2013 09:54 #6

• Gadgetman
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
The re-reopute is simply attaching the old hose, removed from the intake manifold, to the intake air stream before the throttle plate. This can be done in a myriad of ways. Just look at it, and figure out the best way to manage that on your application.

As it appears your engine has a good del of blow-by, the trick I use is to run tranny fluid in the oil the next time you get a quart low. I use Castrol ATF as it has the highest amount of additives and will work diligently while driving to restore the leaky seals.

I have used this trick for more than 25 years with only EXTREMELY positive results. If you have done the paper test for sticky valves, then you likely have valve issues along with the leaks. The ATF will remove the build-up of lacquer (varnish) on all the parts it touches in a very gentle way. This will restore not only the engine seals to a greater or lesser degree, but restore proper valve functioning as well. That is, so long as they have not been burnt as a result of being sticky too long!

You will also find this to be a benefit in ALL engines with The Groove, as it will restore a TREMENDOUS amount of lost vacuum by improper valve function, most especially visible in older engines.

In all my history, I have only found three engines exhibiting leaky valves that had burned valves and were not completely cured by this treatment.

Add a quart of it to the fuel every three months and it does the same for the functioning of the fuel delivery system. Every component of the fuel system is cleaned and will improve their qualities as well. Your fuel pump will run more quietly, the pressure regulator work better and the injectors will do a MUCH better job of atomization allowing for easier vaporization too!

You all get out there and TRY this!

You'll LIKE it!

3 different oil leak locations on 1996 Ford Taurus...help. 12 Oct 2013 18:52 #7

• Tracy Gallaway
  • Founder
  • Founder
  • Thank you received: 564
OK, so I'm about to go down the hill to get a Qt. of Castrol ATF to try in the 'lil Subie. You know, this has been a good car, but it's still and I think will always remain a "flat-lander-car". Took it over the Sierras to Nevada City CA. the other day. It will do it, but just doesn't have the power for that long hill climb over 7000 ft. I just replaced timing belts a week ago, and I think I may now have slightly sticky valves.

Mind you this one has come a long way from when purchased 9 yrs ago. Couldn't get out of it's own way then--but a short block rebuild and the Groove, Plasma ignition and several other things have made it driveable. And recently it's power in lower RPM ranges has increased--??? :side: Glad for that, only have theories as to why.

But I'm gonna take Ron at his word. It's about due for switch to 10-30 oil for winter, a bit low on the stick, so here comes some Castrol ATF!

BTW, Juan any word 'bout the oil leaks on the Taurus?

Best wishes to All,

Tracy G
Tracy Gallaway
Founder and Constant Aide to Gadgetman
Gadgetman Reno, NV

• Page: