Username: Password:
  • Page:

TOPIC: 1990 Ford Van E-150 5.0

1990 Ford Van E-150 5.0 11 Jan 2014 14:31 #1

• Willis
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Hi all
Just starting out and would appreciate a little help.. trying to navigate these forums
any suggestions on how i can find any info on grooving this vehicle? especially with what
vacuum lines to plug or move.? does both butterflies have to be grooved its dual i think.
Anyway to shorten the long air breather hoses? thanks

Please Log in to join the conversation.

1990 Ford Van E-150 5.0 11 Jan 2014 22:11 #2

• Tracy Gallaway
  • Founder
  • Founder
  • Thank you received: 564
Hey Willis, glad to see another new face! :cheer:

On this Ford, does it have a separate throttle body section thats removable, or are the throttle blades integral w/ the intake manifold all one piece?

Tracy G
Tracy Gallaway
Founder and Constant Aide to Gadgetman
Gadgetman Reno, NV
The following user(s) said Thank You: Willis

1990 Ford Van E-150 5.0 12 Jan 2014 15:54 #3

• Willis
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
thanks tracy
yes I had a mechanic remove the throttle body to replace the TPS
so yes it is separate from the intake
willis

1990 Ford Van E-150 5.0 12 Jan 2014 17:54 #4

• Tracy Gallaway
  • Founder
  • Founder
OK Willis, very good. could you post a couple pics of the TB when you can? If you get a few shots of the engine, intake TB mount. flange, any visual info, may give us a chance to offer advice/comments. Glad it's a seperate TB--some Fords in 80's up had integral TB w/ intake which is difficult to Groove.

Tracy G
Tracy Gallaway
Gadgetman Reno, NV

1990 Ford Van E-150 5.0 12 Jan 2014 18:19 #5

• Willis
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Thanks again tracy
Well I am rinky dinky with no way to post pictures just yet but maybe later when things warm
up and I can learn how to do it with what to what , that sort of thing ..
willis
kirk my son me thinks it will be kirk who dooos the work lol
I still have to come up with the money to buy the dremel 4000 and flex shaft.
and a $30. TB for His 98 ford Triton 5.4
I appreciate your help get back with pic (if I can ASAP)

1990 Ford Van E-150 5.0 28 Jan 2014 13:33 #6

• Willis
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Hi all
Its been slow going for me cause of NO money and the fridged weather
try to do more after first of February anxious to get started but a
poor church mouse cant do much, perhaps later the ball will move faster
I will learn how to take pictures and download them to the forum, etc.
willis

1990 Ford Van E-150 5.0 29 Jan 2014 22:36 #7

• Tracy Gallaway
  • Founder
  • Founder
Willis, the '98 Ford Triton TB-it's EASY to Groove. Don't worry about anything fancy on this one, it's super straight forward. Check out my posts/pics on the '03 Ford F-150 5.4 Triton, will be same as on the '98 far as I know. Use large bit, go slow left to right, chop cuts straight down till bit shaft touches bore wall. Have a cup of oil, or pwr steer. fluid to dip bit in after each cut to cool it. No more than med. speed on dremel.Don't use too much pressure on the bit, but keep it straight and steady, mounting TB in a vice really helps w/ that! ;) Just follow Ron's training vid. No epoxy should be needed. I didnt' alter IAC, but did PCV mod. A single large bit Groove, PCV mod, and computer relearn WILL get results, Ford's are Easy!

Tracy G
Tracy Gallaway
Gadgetman Reno, NV

Last edit: by Tracy Gallaway. Reason: more info

1990 Ford Van E-150 5.0 08 Feb 2014 09:26 #8

• Willis
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Hi All,
In this post I will try to post what a ford e-150 1990 TB Looks like:
willis

Thanks Tracy, Could you possibly tell me what kind of IAC adjustment this
would need?

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

1990 Ford Van E-150 5.0 08 Feb 2014 09:31 #9

• Willis
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
oh yes this TB is From a 1989 ford Pickup 5.0 which I am told will
fit my ford Van 1990

1990 Ford Van E-150 5.0 08 Feb 2014 23:24 #10

• Tracy Gallaway
  • Founder
  • Founder
Hi Willis, this TB, on the base you see the round hole in top center of your pics between the bores, that's where the IAC above it dumps IAC air. The big square bore notches next to the round center hole- that's where IAC air enters. Those notches are right under where the Grooves will be, and can disrupt the rolling "waveform" from the Grooves as Ron has taught us.

I wanted to do a graphics illustration on your pics to show you, but I'm a compewtur putz, :silly: so I'm going to describe in words what I'd do.

Need to look at the TB manifold mounting flange to be sure that there's no functional openings there other than actual openings that the throttle bores connect to. From exp., I doubt there are. Also, That little stub thing between the throttle barrels in top view is that a vacuum nipple? Looks like it could be a vac. port leading to the center square opening between the bores? I notice the TB base casting around that center square hole is recessed away from the mounting flange on base of TB. Strategy depends on if that center square opening is a blind hole, or if it connects to that little dark stub. If that isnt a vacuum nipple in top view, and if the square hole is a blind void, I'd make a dam of JBQuick to fill in those square bore notches, then put a notch in the top side wall of the square opening, so IAC air can flow into the square opening. And a notch in each side of the square opening right over the throttle shaft in each bore. Using that square opening to connect the IAC round hole with notches in each throttle bore right over the throttle shaft. This way IAC air will enter away from the Groove waveform rolling down each bore.

I'd make the new IAC air entry bore notches small, maybe 1/8" dia. each. If cold idle RPM or hot idle RPM is too low, they could be enlarged as needed. Plus there is an idle speed screw that can be adjusted. But I like to keep the ability for a higher cold idle RPM in a cold climate.

But it depends on that center square hole, is it a blind opening? If it's not blind, and that little stub is a vac. hose nipple, I see another possibility to redirect IAC airflow. Also- you're gonna need to look at Groove location to see if and how much JB back fill might be needed outboard of the Grooves. Pretty old grungy lookin TB, I'd wonder about the TPS, but easy to swap that out. I'm gonna have to get one of these TB's in my hands to understand it fully.

Hope this makes sense, I need a graphics program to draw colored lines like I see so many others do on pics. Lemme know about that square center hole and the little stub thing. And a pic of the manifold TB mounting flange would remove more doubts as well.

Tracy G
Tracy Gallaway
Gadgetman Reno, NV

Last edit: by Tracy Gallaway. Reason: signed twice by mistake

1990 Ford Van E-150 5.0 09 Feb 2014 09:36 #11

• Willis
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Hi Tracy

the square hole is not exactly a dead end it has part of the turning mechanism
for the throttle plate...I will include pics. I cant get outside as I am using
my web cam to take these photos
thanks willis

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

1990 Ford Van E-150 5.0 09 Feb 2014 21:25 #12

• Tracy Gallaway
  • Founder
  • Founder
No prob, Willis that's the throttle shaft up in there, I mean blind in terms of if air flows through that square opening. Analyzing, maybe they did it that way such that that hole provided access to the throttle shaft as a factory assembly aid. A tool or fixture went up there to hold the shaft in place so the throttle blades could be attached to the shaft, maybe?

Shine a flashlight up in there from inside and outside is there any other opening to that square hole, like does that dark rusty lookin' thing sticking out on the side in between the barrels go into the square opening? I'm probing to be sure that square hole isn't used as a vacuum port to manifold vacuum. My buddy here just installed a graphics program for me, I'm going to try and take one or more of your pics, and draw in what I'm thinking of recommending you do to alter IAC airflow. Also remove the IAC valve from the side, it's the can shaped thing with a female wire plug socket- I'm 99% sure the Idle Air Control valve connects into the round hole next to square one. Tell if it does for sure. You may ruin the gasket, but it prob. ought to be changed anyway. Whole TB assembly looks ancient like it's from Atlantis, I'd be wondering about the IAC and the TPS I'd trust only the mechanicals from looks of it. But if TPS and IAC on the TB in your truck are good you can swap 'em. Wish me luck w/ the Graphics!

Tracy G
Tracy Gallaway
Gadgetman Reno, NV

• Page: