Username: Password:
  • Page:

TOPIC: 1998 Ford F-150 5.4 triton

1998 Ford F-150 5.4 triton 13 Jan 2014 21:14 #1

• Willis
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Great news..
My Son Kirk just did his second groove on 5.4 triton and put it on his truck. strickly
following instructions from gadgetman groove instruction manual and walla it worked.
this he did tonight finished at 9:00 pm. Is that a record or not.? HOPE he didnt ruin
the motor by stuffing the PCV at both ends and tightening up other vacuum lines.
No engine check lights yet...I think it took him all of 20 minutes to groove the second
TB for his Truck. Maybe he is a natural ..lol hope so.
willis

Please Log in to join the conversation.

1998 Ford F-150 5.4 triton 13 Jan 2014 22:21 #2

• Tracy Gallaway
  • Founder
  • Founder
  • Thank you received: 564
Hi Willis good for both you and Kirk! :cheer: Wow a 20 min Groove job, that sounds like 'ol Ron! :woohoo: Yeah the Fords are pretty easy...

Only thing I'd say--is re-think the PCV. Don't want to block it off , idea is cap off the manifold vacuum source, then re-direct PCV to a point in air duct BEFORE TB. Often easiest way, is to find the"breather" hose/tube, the one that picks up filtered air from air inlet duct upstream of TB, and tee the PCV hose into the breather hose.
This way the crankcase is vented, just to passive airflow before or upstream from the throttle, instead of to active manifold vac. Idea is to protect man. vac. levels but still let crankcase breathe, see?

Some engines like my 85 Subaru all aluminum one, will send water or oil vapor/ and condensate from the crankcase back thru the re-directed PCV Or the breather hose. The stuff has always been in there, the engine had just been ingesting/incenerating it. That's why I came up with a home built catch bottle that is a vapor/oil separator.

Crankcase has GOT to be ventilated, DON't close it off, trouble WILL result! :angry: :angry:

PCV re-route is worth doing, there's 2 caveats to it: possibility of oil/ water vapor stuff from crankcase in PCV/breather hoses; AND I think that w/ the re-route, it's a good idea to check oil dipstick to see oil condition, and be strict about oil changes done often enough. In other words, give as close or closer attention to oil condition than before. I don't think that's a bad trade for better combustion efficiency. ;)

OK there's my 'lil sermon! Man keep at it on your other stuff, yes it Really does Work doesn't it!! :P ;) :cheer: Can't wait to hear more maybe you two will get some pics for us...

Good for you Guys!!

Tracy G
Tracy Gallaway
Founder and Constant Aide to Gadgetman
Gadgetman Reno, NV

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Page: