Username: Password:
  • Page:

TOPIC: 2000 VW Beetle 2.0L 125,000 miles

2000 VW Beetle 2.0L 125,000 miles 05 Apr 2015 01:46 #1

• Eugene Lucas
  • Adventurer
  • Adventurer
  • Thank you received: 2
Just got my personal license package the other day. I did the groove on it today, my first groove and I was nervous but confident I will do a good job. Getting to the throddle body wasn't a easy job, I took my time and with some youtube help I got to the throddle body. Doing the groove on it wasn't to bad. I put a business card in position, unhook the negative battery cable and jumped it to the positive to reset the ECU, cleaned, grooved, cleaned, reassembled went pretty smoothly.
Took the bug for a test drive. Didn't have a outstanding change but it did run smoother. This is my wifes car, and I had her do the test drive. She dolled up the car so much I refuse to drive it. So these are her words. The bug got between 16.5 to 19.0 mpg. Thats mostly highway miles, she drives 30 mile one way to work. I will post the results in about a week. I smelled the exhaust and there still some gas smell. We'll see what happens.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ken Bittle

Please Log in to join the conversation.

2000 VW Beetle 2.0L 125,000 miles 05 Apr 2015 18:09 #2

• Tracy Gallaway
  • Founder
  • Founder
  • Thank you received: 564
welcome aboard Gene! :cheer:

Good for you, I was a bit nervous on my first ones too. If you think of it, it's a great idea to shoot pics of your work and post 'em so we can chime in w/ tips. I haven't done any VW's yet so I'm unfamiliar w/'em.

You will find, there are several factors that govern outcomes, first being vehicle age/condition/ history. But you did your first one, and it gets easier. Which bit size did you use? Feel free please to ask any questions you have, congrats on getting started! ;)

Tracy G
Tracy Gallaway
Founder and Constant Aide to Gadgetman
Gadgetman Reno, NV

2000 VW Beetle 2.0L 125,000 miles 06 Apr 2015 00:41 #3

• Eugene Lucas
  • Adventurer
  • Adventurer
Thanks Tracy, I'm not real good with the cumputor, will have to learn to use this thing better. I mostly need some one on one with people how use this forum. Just to let use now I used the large bet. I thought about doing a video with my phone, I just don't know how to transfor to the cumputor and download.

2000 VW Beetle 2.0L 125,000 miles 06 Apr 2015 08:38 #4

• GregK
  • Friends of Gadgetman
  • Friends of Gadgetman
  • Thank you received: 652
If your phone is a smartphone, all you have to do is get an app like dropbox or google drive, on both your phone AND your computer. Google drive is the easiest, especially if you already have a gmail account. once you have the phone and the computer set up and associated to the same email account, your files follow you wherever you go via the internet.
Greg Kusiak
Most Active Member
Audiophile

2000 VW Beetle 2.0L 125,000 miles 06 Apr 2015 19:36 #5

• Tracy Gallaway
  • Founder
  • Founder
Gene, you're doing fine. I'm a real shputz w/ this stuff, and look how many posts I've made. I think most digital cameras have a cable that can plug into the appropriate port in a PC type computer. I'm an almost-old fart myself, I don't have a phone that's smarter than me, I use my phone to talk On, and my old style PC for the Internet and office-machine things. I'm a real 1990's kind of guy! I have found in general w/ this computer and new-fangled gear, just try something, eventually you will fall into the right hole.
as for Smart Phones and all the newer "phones" w/a smooth glass screen they drive me nuts. I have vision issues that make some of this hard for me.

anyhow you Made it here, you've done your first Groove, you are ahead of 99.99% of the Planet! give yourself a Pat on the Back! :cheer:

Tracy G
Tracy Gallaway
Gadgetman Reno, NV

2000 VW Beetle 2.0L 125,000 miles 15 Apr 2015 01:01 #6

• Eugene Lucas
  • Adventurer
  • Adventurer
After a week we where able to get a milage on the Beetle, I am glad to report the car got 24.2 mpg, that's the highest we have ever gotten. I haven't done any of the other MODs yet.

2000 VW Beetle 2.0L 125,000 miles 15 Apr 2015 12:54 #7

• GregK
  • Friends of Gadgetman
  • Friends of Gadgetman
a ~30% increase in mileage is nothing to be apologetic about, Gene!
Get on those other mods (like the PCV re-route, I think that's what you're talking about, and increasing your spark plug gap) and then do the Computer re-learn again. I'll bet you'll get that car into the 30 MPG range, if not better! And then more mileage again if you start using the MPG remedy in your gas tank...
Great news!! congrats!
Greg Kusiak
Most Active Member
Audiophile

2000 VW Beetle 2.0L 125,000 miles 15 Apr 2015 13:06 #8

• Tracy Gallaway
  • Founder
  • Founder
what Heysoundude said...!

Pics, We Want Pics! :) :cheer: ;)

BTW, from the Usless Information dep't... in Great Britain, the MOD is the Ministry Of Defense... for us Gadgetmen, MOD might be Ministry Of Decrease (in fuel costs, that is!)

...groan...

Tracy G
Tracy Gallaway
Gadgetman Reno, NV

Last edit: by Tracy Gallaway. Reason: more info as usual

2000 VW Beetle 2.0L 125,000 miles 15 Apr 2015 13:34 #9

• GregK
  • Friends of Gadgetman
  • Friends of Gadgetman
It could be Ministry of Defense against Waste and Pollution, couldn't it? :silly: :evil: :whistle:

And yes, pics please...unless the headlights have those eyelash things added on...which could be interfering with the aerodynamics and preventing gains/economy... ;)

(Thanks Tracy)
Greg Kusiak
Most Active Member
Audiophile

Last edit: by GregK.

2000 VW Beetle 2.0L 125,000 miles 04 Jul 2015 03:15 #10

• Eugene Lucas
  • Adventurer
  • Adventurer
Got some good news on the Bugs gas millage, The last fill up she got 27.2 MPG. Thats the best so far. Sents the groove and still no other mods, the MPG report runs from 21.8 to 27.2 . My wife can still drive smoother I believe. :lol: :unsure:

• Page: