Username: Password:
  • Page:

TOPIC: 1998 Dodge Ram 1500 Quad door, 2WD 5.9L 208,000 miles

1998 Dodge Ram 1500 Quad door, 2WD 5.9L 208,000 miles 15 Apr 2015 01:46 #1

• Eugene Lucas
  • Adventurer
  • Adventurer
  • Thank you received: 2
About a week ago, I performed a groove mod on my 98 Dodge. I did have to use some filler or JB quik to fill in were the groove went throu. I used the large bit for the two grooves i put on the dual plates. The truck is running smoother and is shifting better, no check engine light, and seems to pull up hills better. I did do a milage check and it got 16.5 witch is better than the 14.2 it was getting. The truck was a great running truck most of the time anyway. I haven't done any of the other MODs yet either. It has a cold air intake and shorty headers. I did end up breaking one of my large bits doing this groove, i wasn't watching the biuld up in the bit. I'M BAD.
I did add alot of filler where the air passage is for the idle air port is, but there was a deeper area under that I left open, instead of filling it in to and putting in the 1/8" port that i've seen on the videos. now the truck whistles.
I've doing another milage check and so for i'm getting around 15. mpg. I need to work on those other MODs. Any other tips??

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Eugene Lucas.

1998 Dodge Ram 1500 Quad door, 2WD 5.9L 208,000 miles 15 Apr 2015 13:01 #2

• Tracy Gallaway
  • Founder
  • Founder
  • Thank you received: 564
hi Gene here's what I did w/ my neighbor buddy's Dodge Ram w/ same engine as yours...

You could copy this except for the upper double Groove,I forget if you're Certified. You may do better than Jake got since you're a Gadgetman...! ;) There is PCV re-route, tire press., MPG remedy...

While Gooving, important to keep the bit oiled and cool, if buildup in the bit flutes occurs, it's too hot! I use power steer. fluid for oil, I keep Dremel speed no higher than Medium, I dip bit in oil after each cut, hold submerged a few seconds to dissipate heat buildup in the cutter. The bits are Precious!

My post above is found in Index, Dodge section, I most always look in Index when I am about to Groove an unfamiliar TB...

Keep goin' Gene! :)

Tracy G
Tracy Gallaway
Founder and Constant Aide to Gadgetman
Gadgetman Reno, NV

1998 Dodge Ram 1500 Quad door, 2WD 5.9L 208,000 miles 15 Apr 2015 13:25 #3

• GregK
  • Friends of Gadgetman
  • Friends of Gadgetman
  • Thank you received: 652
I'm not gonna step on Tracy's toes here, but increasing the Spark plug Gap and adding the MPG remedy to Gas have had pretty impressive results on my truck, Pre-groove.

Also, look into swapping out your o2 sensors if you never have before. I did that too, and I'm in the 25MPG range...smaller truck, smaller engine, a bit more mileage, but already up from ~21 MPG

I've also RVS'd my engine, gearbox and differential...it all adds up, Gene.

Other than these things, all you have to consider is an Air-Oil seperator on your PCV re-route, addressing your vehicle's grounding situation (it helps the sensors function accurately to report to the computer for it to make adjustments - look for Alternatorman on youtube for the big 4 grounding). You may be able to bypass the EGR system too (which is a massive, factory-implemented vacuum leak as far as I'm concerned). And then, there's the Throttle plate shaping to consider...Have you cleaned your MAF sensors? Checked your tire pressures are at maximum? These are the easy things. I've discovered that a port/polish of my intake and exhaust might help my engine breathe better, and there are roller rockers I can add that I've heard add HP and torque. And an Underdrive crank pulley and electric cooling fan, and a lower temp thermostat, all for similar results of more HP and torque. I'm not interested in HP, but Torque to get me moving, and a lighter touch on the gas to keep me moving while eating less fuel and polluting less are ALL of interest. The question is, how FAR am I willing to go, and where do the gains become less impressive/justifiable? You have to look into that and ask the same questions yourself.

Another thing I've done to my truck - and you may or may not be able to do a similar one on yours - was to take the "cooling" lines off my intake manifold ("Hot water bypass"). I'm not familiar with your Dodge's engine. Poke around on the forums for tips/hints- this Hemi isn't uncommon.
Greg Kusiak
Most Active Member
Audiophile

Last edit: by GregK.
  • Page: