Welcome, Guest
Username: Password:

TOPIC: 2003 Ford Focus ZX3 2.0L plastic TB w/ IAC port restriction

'03 Ford Focus ZX3 2.0L plastic TB w/ IAC port restriction 12 Jan 2016 21:09 #13

• Tracy Gallaway
  • Founder
  • Founder
  • Thank you received: 564
Well, Filipp, I just typed for over an hour to give more advice, I added 2 links from the Index section, top left of forum page. Talked all about MPG Remedy, my experience of it, how to make it, and other suggestions to help.

Our site host said I was spamming, and killed my work.......ARRGHHH!!! :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:
Wishing I could call in an airsrike, but I lack target coordinates!!

I'll recap what I was saying, abbreviated.
Re-read my instructions I sent w/ your Groovy TB. PCV re-route is something we all recommend doing. Watch for any signs of water vapor condensation in crankcase w/ this mod in wet weather. There is a cure for that in Tools of the Trade folder in Index here, if needed. MY homemade water/oil PCV separator is an idea. This mod is detailed in places in Service Bulletins in the Index, and other places in the Index.

Have you tried boosting the tire pressure, using common sense(as in don't pump up to 70- pounds or anything crazy?)

Heysoundude, Ron Hatton, and I sing praises of RVS treatment, look in the fuel savers tab on site front page. IT works.

You will need to do your own reading/looking in the Index- I tried to post links from it, it won't work. I'm sorry, the two main MPG Remedy threads are quite long. IT's aspirin, alcohol, hydrogen peroxide mixed and added to tank at fill time. Dan Merrick deserves praise for it.

I could go on at length, but my eyes hurt! :evil: :evil: :evil: :pinch: :pinch:

Anybody else wanna help Filipp out here? I can jump back in later, I gotta rest my eyes.

Tracy G
Tracy Gallaway
Founder and Constant Aide to Gadgetman
Gadgetman Reno, NV

Please Log in to join the conversation.

'03 Ford Focus ZX3 2.0L plastic TB w/ IAC port restriction 13 Jan 2016 09:11 #14

• GregK
  • Friends of Gadgetman
  • Friends of Gadgetman
  • Thank you received: 652
The exact same thing has happened to me, Tracy. I suspect it to be a setting in the forum's software or administration. If I'm right, it can (and should) be changed by those who have the power...

Where is Filipp located? Or, what's the climate like?
Are there codes? Does it reach closed loop? How does it idle?
If he hasn't re-routed his PCV system, that could be why he's not seeing gains but is getting a power increase. Same for the Reprogram of his computer - if the groovy TB was just installed and the car was driven regularly rather than taught how to run, well, it might eventually learn, but it's probably best to let it know it needs schooling. And that includes the IAC valve - that's a procedure as well.
Another possibility is the plug gap is too wide, or not wide enough...or not enough ignition energy is hitting the air/fuel charge at the correct time.

RVS is great stuff for restoring/maintaining original tolerances in wear items in a car, so that could be a great place for him to start, you're right. An engine/power train with 100k or more on it (as is likely the case with this 14 year old vehicle) could see a considerable improvement from the full treatment, both engine and transmission. Chasing parasitic efficiency drains could pay off big time.
It's like the old saying: "mind the pennies and the pounds mind themselves". Paying attention to the little things often pays off in big ways. Maybe all Filipp needs to do is to re-torque his intake manifold to spec to get engine vacuum back to optimal by eliminating minuscule vacuum leaks that destroy the effect of the groove. Or cleaning his MAF sensor so that it reports accurate air information to the computer.
Greg Kusiak
Most Active Member
Audiophile

'03 Ford Focus ZX3 2.0L plastic TB w/ IAC port restriction 13 Jan 2016 14:52 #15

• Tracy Gallaway
  • Founder
  • Founder
Filipp is in the Seattle Washington area, so, cold wet climate. He hasn't said, but I'd expect mostly urban/suburban driving in heavier traffic conditions. And- though wet weather can boost power, it also robs mileage. If terrain is hilly, that too steals some MPG's. A close friend of mine has an 04 Focus 5 spd. with the bigger 2.4 I think engine. When it was newer it could deliver hiway MPG's in the mid 30's stock.

Filipp is a busy teacher, and I think he has limited time to devote to his Focus. He has done the re-learn procedure at TB reinstall, and looking at my pics in the original post, an IAC restriction is built in w/ the fill-and-drill epoxy. I hope you are reading this, Filipp, as we think there is still potential to be had here.

The PCV re-route would actually be easy on this engine. It requires careful study of the hoses involved. No need to actually touch the PCV valve itself, it's down low on the engine front, very hard to see or reach. Google the PCV valve and system for your exact engine, identify the hose on the PCV valve itself, then identify the crankcase breather hose. Best to do this from study of pics online first, it's ALL black hoses/cables etc. in the Focus engine bays! :S Once the PCV and breather hoses are found in pics, you could go under the hood, and mark them with tape and a Sharpie, colored tape, etc. Find the end of the PCv hose, opposite end from the PCv valve. This end will be the connection to manifold vac. Remove this end of the hose, cap off the vac. port w/ a vinyl or silicone cap. Don't use the rubber auto parts store caps, they deteriorate fast. Pick an accessable spot on the crankcase breather hose, cut the hose, install a tee, connect the PCV hose to tee. Done. Alternately, the PCV hose can connect into the main air duct to TB from the air filter box. Some folks in the past have just left the PCV hose end open to atmosphere, but I advise against that. That's bad for the environment, and would fail an emissions/smog test too. Also gives chance of getting dirt/water into engine. This mod has been detailed before in the Index on the Ford Focus.

I'll look online to see if I can find anything to add here to help Filipp out w/ his Focus. I Think there are posts, with pics, in the Index, on the PCV system, but I'm paranoid to link them here! :S :dry: :pinch:

I agree, it's now about eliminating parasitic losses, to boost gains for this Focus. A universal truth for we Gadgetmen! ;) :cheer:

Tracy G
Tracy Gallaway
Gadgetman Reno, NV

'03 Ford Focus ZX3 2.0L plastic TB w/ IAC port restriction 13 Jan 2016 15:15 #16

• Tracy Gallaway
  • Founder
  • Founder
A one minute search for the MAF sensor for this focus gave me this, a well written illustrated article w/ pics all about the Mass Air flow sensor. It's generic to many Ford's, and will be a good troubleshooting and maintenance guide.

How To Test The Ford Mass Air Flow (MAF) Sensor

Tracy G
Tracy Gallaway
Gadgetman Reno, NV

Last edit: by Tracy Gallaway. Reason: signiture

'03 Ford Focus ZX3 2.0L plastic TB w/ IAC port restriction 13 Jan 2016 16:51 #17

• Tracy Gallaway
  • Founder
  • Founder
Ok, here's a youtube vid, the guy is showing replacement of the PCV hose. This looks like it has the same black plastic TB as Filipps' Focus. At about the 2 minute mark, he gives a good view of the new hose on the manifold vac. port. Early in the vid he points out the PCV valve itself up in front right corner of engine, facing the engine. IF this is just like Filipp's Focus, then it's good info about location and ID of the PCV hoses. This design has 2 rubber hoses and a center metal tube for the PCV valve. First a short rubber one on the PCV, up front, connects to a metal tube under the right side of engine. Then further back is another rubber molded hose that goes from rear of metal tube to the manifold vac. nipple right under the TB. That nipple is the one we cap off. This rear molded hose is subject to deterioration from oil, heat, age, like all rubber hoses. So this vid, Filipp, if it's right for your Focus, shows the PCV hose/tube system.

IF this is correct for Filipp's Focus, I would probably remove the original rear molded hose, watch how he shows dealing with the funky factory metal hose clamp!! I would put a new rubber hose (fuel injection hose or similar sold by the foot) on the rear side of the metal tube, and carefully route it up to tee into the crankcase breather hose. I would use either a colored vinyl or ideally silicone, cap on the man. vac. port. There are also thick rubber caps for heater hose nipples, that could work too if the right size. Just don't use parts store thin black rubber vac. caps, they die too fast. I'd use new screw type clamps too. That stock one could be a pain if you didn't understand it.

Then, identify the crankcase breather hose from the main air inlet duct system to valve cover. Cut and tee in the new PCV hose.

Last, if the short molded hose on the PCV valve itself, to the metal tube, is in bad shape. Remove it, can replace with fuel injection bulk hose, can coil up some to make the turn to the metal tube. Ought to be same ID as the rear hose. IF access to the PCV valve is a good as it looks in this vid, might replace the PCV itself too, or at least spray out w/ carb. cleaner.

Again, this PCV re-route mod will boost manifold vacuum, and increase the Groove's effectiveness.

hope this is same as Filipps' Focus, there are several versions of Focus engines.

Tracy G
Tracy Gallaway
Gadgetman Reno, NV

'03 Ford Focus ZX3 2.0L plastic TB w/ IAC port restriction 13 Jan 2016 22:32 #18

• GregK
  • Friends of Gadgetman
  • Friends of Gadgetman
Wow wow wow!
Once again, Certified Gadgedtman TracyG goes FAR over and above the call of duty to research and find solutions for a customer!
I have no doubt Tracy has high expectations for this car, possibly higher than Filip's own, to establish a new benchmark for efficiency and environmental friendliness and performance.
My hat is off to you sir! I stand in awe and respect of your vision and standard of overall awesome excellence!
Greg Kusiak
Most Active Member
Audiophile

'03 Ford Focus ZX3 2.0L plastic TB w/ IAC port restriction 14 Jan 2016 02:06 #19

• Tracy Gallaway
  • Founder
  • Founder
Thanks, Greg, makin' me blush here!. The topic of Ford Focus PCV re-routing and the PCV system in general for Focus'es has been in this forum before. Took the opportunity to turn the lights up for this, is all. Filipp may or may not use this info, but it's here now for all.

Cheers! BTW, has it SNOWED up there yet?

Tracy G
Tracy Gallaway
Gadgetman Reno, NV

'03 Ford Focus ZX3 2.0L plastic TB w/ IAC port restriction 14 Jan 2016 21:08 #20

• GregK
  • Friends of Gadgetman
  • Friends of Gadgetman
Yessir, we got 4" of powder on Sunday/Monday and it keeps coming a bit at a time. But tomorrow it's supposed to all melt in the 40 degrees and rain...
Greg Kusiak
Most Active Member
Audiophile

'03 Ford Focus ZX3 2.0L plastic TB w/ IAC port restriction 14 Jan 2016 23:51 #21

• Filipp
  • Adventurer
  • Adventurer
  • Thank you received: 0
Hey, thank you guys so much for your time. I will follow all the links Tracy provided. So, to summarize:

- I have not intentionally tried to find any leaks (if any exist)
- PCV re-route is something I need get into... I'm not as mechanically inclined as some of you guys, so some technicality throws me off a little, I need to read it and understand better.
- got to at least clean Mass Air flow sensor
- re-torque intake manifold to specs as heysoundude recommended.

Thank you, guys seriously for this. I got things to do, don't I ?

'03 Ford Focus ZX3 2.0L plastic TB w/ IAC port restriction 15 Jan 2016 00:03 #22

• GregK
  • Friends of Gadgetman
  • Friends of Gadgetman
PCV reroute - watch the video, follow Tracy's suggestions and the penny will drop for you. It's not as tough as you think.
You'll have to reprogram the computer again...
start there...
Greg Kusiak
Most Active Member
Audiophile

'03 Ford Focus ZX3 2.0L plastic TB w/ IAC port restriction 15 Jan 2016 01:13 #23

• Tracy Gallaway
  • Founder
  • Founder
Dr Dude-Good! now I don't feel so Weather-persecuted. You now have reason to Groove the Snowblower, right? (how's that for an obnoxious nudge? :lol: Thanks again for all you do!

Filipp- glad too see to with us! It does take extra effort with all this Groovy-ness, but that's how we get best results. IF you need help, Jump back in here, and you have my contact info too. But, it's good to have Q/A in here, since it can help others with similar questions, a main reason Ron set this forum up. In Index, Tools of the Trade, Service bulletins, and Ford category will be good places to dig for more info. Actually there's nuggets all over in there. Don't be shy with questions, here, no such thing as a dumb question!

IF you have issues, pics of things can often really help.

Onward!

Tracy G
Tracy Gallaway
Gadgetman Reno, NV

'03 Ford Focus ZX3 2.0L plastic TB w/ IAC port restriction 16 Jan 2016 12:50 #24

• GregK
  • Friends of Gadgetman
  • Friends of Gadgetman
I'll have to sneak over to groove dad's blower when I know he'll be gone for a few hours, like I did his mower. Better to have him happy it's running well than worrying over me breaking it, Tracy, and watching over my shoulder.

Filipp, let me just say that this stuff only sounds daunting until you see how easy it is in the videos, both from others and on the Groove's YouTube channel. I would say that if you can change your own oil (and replace your own Throttle body), you definitely have the chops to do a PCV reroute. I started that way, and it basically got down to having the right tools. I didn't, so I borrowed from friends until I got my own. It'll spark interesting new conversations about what tools/techniques are better/best. Opinions are like cars: everybody has at least one
Greg Kusiak
Most Active Member
Audiophile