Username: Password:
  • Page:

TOPIC: 2001 Ford F-150 5.4L Triton Canadian made Groove results

2001 Ford F-150 5.4L Triton Canadian made Groove results 18 Aug 2015 22:50 #1

• Tracy Gallaway
  • Founder
  • Founder
  • Thank you received: 564
After a 9 month wait- here is the reply and results of a Groove done on an '01 Ford F150 Super Cab truck. This is owned by Curt in Montana. This TB recieved a large bit Groove and throttle plate shaping. I took pics of it before I sent it to Curt illustrating the amount of bit wobble present in the finished Groove.

I sent the TB back to curt in early Nov. last year, he just got around to swapping it back in a few days ago...! :blink: I guess he's busy w/ other stuff... :lol: Here's what Curt had to say:

Hi Tracy!
Well I know me TOO well. I put off installing the groove for 9 months but I finally got it bolted on. It was a fairly simple swap out but I really wish I'd have had a new gasket... my old one stayed stuck (baked on) to the original throttle body but I think I was careful enough to keep from cracking it? I was temped to smear a thin layer of RTV blue on both sides ... but didn't.
I used the truck on a long'ish trip right after and was pulling my travel trailer and I do believe it had more power in and thru the hills. The next week I did the same return trip w/o the trailer and believe I got 20 percent better gas mileage... 18 mpg with a topper and many steep hills
I'm a VERY satisfied user! I still have the old throttle body if you'd like to have it.

Thanx for all your help and encouragement

Sounds like the Gadgetman Groove has another happy customer! :cheer:

Pics:

Tracy G
Tracy Gallaway
Founder and Constant Aide to Gadgetman
Gadgetman Reno, NV

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Tracy Gallaway. Reason: spacing

2001 Ford F-150 5.4L Triton Canadian made Groove results 19 Aug 2015 09:19 #2

• GregK
  • Friends of Gadgetman
  • Friends of Gadgetman
  • Thank you received: 652
20% improvement over non-Grooved mileage? that's pretty impressive! What other mods has Curt made? RVS? spark plugs gapped to what?

My friend Reed has a 2002 F150 king/quad cab 4x4 with the 4.6 liter engine I'd like to groove...maybe he'll see these results and decide to push the go button.
Greg Kusiak
Most Active Member
Audiophile

2001 Ford F-150 5.4L Triton Canadian made Groove results 19 Aug 2015 12:24 #3

• Tracy Gallaway
  • Founder
  • Founder
Well, uh, Curt apparently is no ball of fire when it comes to working on his Ford. He is an avid hunter, and seems a swell guy, but I think just doing the TB swap was a BIG deal for him. See what he said about the TB base gasket...and using (shudder) blue silicone to seal the TB and gasket :sick: LOL!!

I believe Curt has done no other mods, he mentioned nothing else in our email exchanges.

so for your buddy Reed...who would have Dr. Dude to Groove his Ford, along with the Dr's experience and insight... uh, I don't have a Crystal bowling ball, but I forsee Good Things for his Ford.

BTW, these Ford Triton TB's are an excellent one to Groove, very simple and straightforward. The PCV re-route can be Interesting, Ive posted before w/ pics on that. (Index) apparently there are a couple versions of the PCV system for these Ford's, w/ you guys being in Canukia, I'd look for a heated PCV version. We can wait 'till you get under Reed's hood. Depending on the overall situation, time, availability, etc., perhaps some Pre-Groove preps to "tighten the bolts" then the Groove, then further mods...

May the Groove be with you! ;)

Tracy G
Tracy Gallaway
Gadgetman Reno, NV

2001 Ford F-150 5.4L Triton Canadian made Groove results 19 Aug 2015 12:39 #4

• GregK
  • Friends of Gadgetman
  • Friends of Gadgetman
Reed's already planning a solid tune-up, possibly with overgapped plugs, and I've turned him on to RVS and the re-route and the remedy in midgrade gas...and he's re-thinking the cold air kit and matching exhaust. his PCV is not heated, btw, when i went looking to see how tough the re-route would be (couldn't find the breather). Let's see if we can turn him into a Mufflersucker!!
Greg Kusiak
Most Active Member
Audiophile

2001 Ford F-150 5.4L Triton Canadian made Groove results 19 Aug 2015 13:33 #5

• Tracy Gallaway
  • Founder
  • Founder
Look at the air inlet duct to the TB, is there a black tube from it or the air filt. box to a valve cover?

Tracy G
Tracy Gallaway
Gadgetman Reno, NV

2001 Ford F-150 5.4L Triton Canadian made Groove results 19 Aug 2015 13:40 #6

• GregK
  • Friends of Gadgetman
  • Friends of Gadgetman
First look was pretty cursory. I'll have a better poke around next time for sure.
Greg Kusiak
Most Active Member
Audiophile

2001 Ford F-150 5.4L Triton Canadian made Groove results 29 Aug 2015 23:28 #7

• Johnathan
  • Adventurer
  • Adventurer
  • Thank you received: 21

heysoundude wrote: Reed's already planning a solid tune-up, possibly with overgapped plugs, and I've turned him on to RVS and the re-route and the remedy in midgrade gas...and he's re-thinking the cold air kit and matching exhaust. his PCV is not heated, btw, when i went looking to see how tough the re-route would be (couldn't find the breather). Let's see if we can turn him into a Mufflersucker!!

depending on the year model, some of those 4.6's have the pcv valve and hose underneath the rear of the intake manifold. they're a huge PITA to reach from on top of the motor. its best to crawl underneath the truck and reach up. hope this helps!

2001 Ford F-150 5.4L Triton Canadian made Groove results 30 Aug 2015 15:20 #8

• GregK
  • Friends of Gadgetman
  • Friends of Gadgetman
JR - this is not the case with this vehicle. thanks though, I'll keep it in mind!
Greg Kusiak
Most Active Member
Audiophile

• Page: