Username: Password:
  • Page:

TOPIC: 2006 F150 5.4 3valve triton

2006 F150 5.4 3valve triton 20 Dec 2015 20:37 #1

• Greg
  • Adventurer
  • Adventurer
  • Thank you received: 0
Already changed and overgapped the plugs by 20%. Runs perfect... have been following the groove for some time but the posts say it seems to respond better on older vehicles? Anybody done a groove or had any success on these 3 valve tritons. And what about the double groove. Have also been looking into HHO possibilities.... using frozen ice water since I live in Canada. Just kidding... Id use salt water. I saw that video clip about 3 years ago where Ron was at a HHO rally and about 7 of those guys had been grooved and were happy. Ironically I see the latest posts are on 5.4 engines but older ones. Thx...

Please Log in to join the conversation.

2006 F150 5.4 3valve triton 20 Dec 2015 22:44 #2

• Tracy Gallaway
  • Founder
  • Founder
  • Thank you received: 564
Hey, mefff! Yes I've Grooved a few 3 valve Triton's, the one I recall best was, let's see. I think it was a '99 5.4 in an F-150 4wd. I'm not sure, is yours the drive by wire version? I have'nt done a Ford DBW yet.

In general, the issue of late vs. earlier model vehicles is the computer. Newer ones seem to have more of the "Nanny complex" to them. That said, if you look around the Index of the forum, quite a few post-2000 vehicles of many makes have been Grooved successfully.

People familiar with the HHO world will well know of dealing with computer issues. It's probably harder to get HHO to work well w/ newer vehicles than with the Groove. Actually a brilliant Gadgetman named Dam Merrick came up w/ a new type of HHO called Merricks Gas, Google it or look into that. He also gave us what I named MPG Remedy, look in the Index for that too.

You are already doing some of what we call Pre-Groove Prep's., with your plugs. Doesn't sound like those pesky 3 valve plugs gave you trouble... :huh: I think the rule on those is change 'em more often than spec. Heysoundude (Greg) gets kudos for detailing about those Preps, maybe you've already seen his posts of them. General idea is to get it into top condition, and reduce parasitic vehicle and engine losses. Setting the stage for our famous "Fat Lady" to come out and sing! :)

Older rigs, OBD1 for example, the ECU was lots tamer, but no ability to do real time data. OBDII ECU is often fussier, but can use scan tool to monitor for quick feedback on results. IF over 60-70 K miles (whatever KM that is) get new upstream O2's ideally from a Ford Dealer, $$$!!. OR at least get a scantool reading of O2 data in real-time, see if both switch above/below 0.45 volts, the crossover point, and fast enough. Also look at ST and LT fuel trims both banks. Sniff the tailpipe at hot idle, now, and again as you go along. Fix any code related issues too.

Sounds like yours runs well now, almost always room to improve. Thinking of having one of us do a Groove for you? You might be close to Heysoundude, he's Canadian too. PL kits ARE still available, long as you're Patient!! LOL

Thanks for coming by, Welcome to Gadgetman Land!! :cheer:

Tracy G.
Tracy Gallaway
Founder and Constant Aide to Gadgetman
Gadgetman Reno, NV

2006 F150 5.4 3valve triton 20 Dec 2015 23:43 #3

• Greg
  • Adventurer
  • Adventurer
  • Thank you received: 0
Thx Tracy..... I believe there was issues with plug seizing on the 04/05 tritons... both 4.6 and 5.4 have some type of aluminum issues. Mine is an 06.... still 4 snapped off and I had to use an extract tool to pull the ends. Forget the Ford recommended method.... waste of time. Simply spray each plug well with seafoam creep and wait an hour on a slightly warm engine. Screw out very slow working back and forth.... replace with one piece champions using antisieze 25 ft lbs. If they bust the tips pull easy using creep and the lisle 65600 tool. I'll check out ur recommendations... thx

2006 F150 5.4 3valve triton 21 Dec 2015 20:20 #4

• Tracy Gallaway
  • Founder
  • Founder
  • Thank you received: 564
you're welcome, mefff! Yes, I first learned of this issue when Ron Hatton was moving to Montana, he got stuck in Provo Utah for 5 days, he wound up having to have the heads pulled and fixed! Yikes! I've avoided messing w/ plugs on all the Ford Triton engines. I posted videos about the fix methods for these back in 2013 here in the Index now. The Deep Creep in a warm engine, let sit, work 'em slowly makes sense.

Glad to have you aboard, feel free to contribute more! There's been a LOT of Ford's posted on, Heysoundude did lots of research re: Ford's. He has included links to several Ford user forums as well for tech issues.

Tracy G
Gadgetman Reno Nevada
Tracy Gallaway
Founder and Constant Aide to Gadgetman
Gadgetman Reno, NV

2006 F150 5.4 3valve triton 18 Jan 2016 12:06 #5

• GregK
  • Friends of Gadgetman
  • Friends of Gadgetman
  • Thank you received: 652
Hey mefff - sorry I missed this the 1st time around.
yes, the Motorcraft FineWire Platinum plugs had problems. Aftermarket has stepped in and fixed it. The Iridium plugs from various manufacturers (I like the Denso) are even better, and you can open them bigger due to lower resistance. Add a stronger coil and the Low resistance wires from Granatelli that TracyG praises (if available for your vehicle, which I believe they are), and I'd bet you can open those plugs to almost .1" vs stock .044" (IIRC the spec on that).

What neck of the woods are you in? I'm Southern Ontario, across the lake from Toronto
Greg Kusiak
Most Active Member
Audiophile

• Page: